Trades gone terribly...

Trades gone terribly...

February 19th, 2011, 1:38 am #1

right

After posting pics of my Pulsar 'Seiko mil homage' ...

EdH contacted me and wondered about a trade. We exchanged several e-mails with Ed trying desperately to find something I would take in trade...we settled up on this one...

This is a 'Germasian' Pilot/Bombardier style homage watch of the WWII era.
Ed gave me this description of the mirror image numbers on the dial...

"The pilots would mount the watch on their sextant to assist in shooting locations. The reversed numbers were read with a mirror on the sextant and of course would read correctly with the mirror."

Another vintage watch of this style was used for and by Wernher von Braun...

"This Aristo Flieger Sextant has its historical pattern in a German sextant watch which was used by Wernher von Braun and his team about 1944/1945- at the Peenemünde rocket proving ground ("Heeresversuchsanstalt Peenemuende")... Braun and his crew used the watch to calculate the ballistic data for various rockets they had developed. You may have heard about the V 1."

When viewing at the dial through a mirror sextant they used the watch to calculate a rocket´s ballistic in advance.

Needless to say, I am thrilled to have this watch as an addition to my 'Mil Style' collection. I put it on a Maratac Mil Series strap and it is perfectly wearable on my 6.75" wrist, as you can see

------------------------------------------

February 19th, 2011, 1:42 am #2

for such a cool trade.

Both of you ended up with beautiful pieces!

February 19th, 2011, 2:07 am #3

right

EdH contacted me and wondered about a trade. We exchanged several e-mails with Ed trying desperately to find something I would take in trade...we settled up on this one...

"The pilots would mount the watch on their sextant to assist in shooting locations. The reversed numbers were read with a mirror on the sextant and of course would read correctly with the mirror."

"This Aristo Flieger Sextant has its historical pattern in a German sextant watch which was used by Wernher von Braun and his team about 1944/1945- at the Peenemünde rocket proving ground ("Heeresversuchsanstalt Peenemuende")... Braun and his crew used the watch to calculate the ballistic data for various rockets they had developed. You may have heard about the V 1."

When viewing at the dial through a mirror sextant they used the watch to calculate a rocket´s ballistic in advance.

Needless to say, I am thrilled to have this watch as an addition to my 'Mil Style' collection. I put it on a Maratac Mil Series strap and it is perfectly wearable on my 6.75" wrist, as you can see

that its right!

Great trade guys. Some cool watches for sure.

Interesting history to that military watch.
Educational post too.

Well done, happy ending for all. NICE!

February 19th, 2011, 2:15 am #4

for such a cool trade.

Both of you ended up with beautiful pieces!
DG 2813 auto winding movement.

It is inspired by the Miyota 8200 series but also hacks.

I am amply acquainted with the Miyota 8200 caliber and I can say without reservation, that this DG 2813 and it's cousin, the NN 2813; are every bit as well designed and manufactured as the Miyota. Some examples actually make the Miyota pale by comparison, in finish of the individual parts and definitely in performance!

Just wondering if I could make the perfect NY2300 by swapping in an NN2813 or a DG2813
If it wasn't a hassle, I'd opt to drop in a DG4813 with the 28,800 beat :-O

At any rate, this watch is not leaving the collection any time soon

February 19th, 2011, 3:37 am #5

It is also based largely on the 8200. It shows that Citizen/Miyota made a great design with the 8200 that has served as the inspiration for these other movements.

February 19th, 2011, 3:43 am #6

I would rank the ST16, the NN2813 and the DG2813 very close.

The ST16, as you noted, does have the bi-directional magic lever auto winding system while the other two have the same basic arrangement as Miyota uses.

I would put all three of these movements slightly ahead of the Miyota simply because they all 'hack' and the Miyota doesn't.

February 19th, 2011, 3:48 am #7

right

.... have always knew you could be VERY interesting watch! Did it come with the sextant for you to time your launchings with It really is a neat looking watch with a very interesting history

February 19th, 2011, 3:59 am #8

right

nt

February 19th, 2011, 4:07 am #9

.... have always knew you could be VERY interesting watch! Did it come with the sextant for you to time your launchings with It really is a neat looking watch with a very interesting history
they should be the perfect compliment to this Germasian watch :-O

February 19th, 2011, 4:10 am #10

nt
This is the first watch I've flipped since the SUS that I traded for the Pulsar.

As much as I liked the Pulsar, I just didn't wear it...chronos just don't grab my attention like a good three hander does.