Tok advantage of an unexpected windfall to get a Grail....

Tok advantage of an unexpected windfall to get a Grail....

February 14th, 2011, 9:23 pm #1

... I've always liked the "Daytona" model of Chrongraph that Rolex has sold. This one has the Valjoux 7750 Automatic Chronograph movement in it not the Zenith movement which is in the Daytona's of this time. It was bought in 1996 and will come with ALL documents and boxes from my dealer freind in London. Since Tudor's are not sold here in the US, Customs will confiscate it if it is shipped here so my freind in London will wear it when they come to visit in June. ( You can wear one on your wrist no problem!. They will ship me his Omega to wear when he delivers my watch We have done this twice now and it works out well ) Here's sellers pics :

I like the classic b/w look better than the current Tiger Tudor Chrongraph they sell and can't afford a Daytona as it is over twice what this Tudor cost for one of the same vintage
Last edited by monbla256 on February 14th, 2011, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2011, 9:30 pm #2

recently when Rolex finally designed their own chronograph movt. Tudor has always used Valjoux 7750 in their chronographs and eta in their non-chronographs. I never heard of customs in the U.S. holding a watch not sold in the U.S. I have received many watches in the past not officially sold here.

Boomtown

February 14th, 2011, 9:36 pm #3

.... agreement they have. Somehow, having a Rolex product shipped into the US from a commercial enterprise violates the copyright laws here. Go figure I know Tudor is NOT sold over here and since it is a Rolex product I'm NOT going to take a chance June is fine with me as I have time on my side I buy from a certified Rolex dealer in London, and he always declares what is in the package so this way, my friend picks up the watch in London and wears it on their wrist when they come into the US. Better safe than sorry

February 14th, 2011, 10:43 pm #4

recently when Rolex finally designed their own chronograph movt. Tudor has always used Valjoux 7750 in their chronographs and eta in their non-chronographs. I never heard of customs in the U.S. holding a watch not sold in the U.S. I have received many watches in the past not officially sold here.

Boomtown
The Zenith movement (Rolex Cal. 4030) was introduced in 1988, and ran until the Cal. 4130 was introduced in 2000. The Daytona preadates 1988 by quite some time, and was introduced in 1960, so there were many years of non Zenith movements before they were actually placed into the Daytona models.

Previous movements included the Valjoux 72 (I'm actually working on a Cal. 72 right now from a vintage Rodania chronograph), the Valjoux 722/1, and the Valjoux 727. These were all manual winding movements, and included the models known as Paul Newman Daytonas.

Regarding the US Customs issues, that is real and quite specific to the USA. Rolex USA is the only entity that can import Rolex watches in any quantity other than 1. You are allowed to purchase a Rolex while on vacation and import it into the US for personal use, but shipping them in is certainly risky. For this reason I only service Rolex watches from non-US addresses.

Cheers, Al

February 14th, 2011, 10:45 pm #5

... I've always liked the "Daytona" model of Chrongraph that Rolex has sold. This one has the Valjoux 7750 Automatic Chronograph movement in it not the Zenith movement which is in the Daytona's of this time. It was bought in 1996 and will come with ALL documents and boxes from my dealer freind in London. Since Tudor's are not sold here in the US, Customs will confiscate it if it is shipped here so my freind in London will wear it when they come to visit in June. ( You can wear one on your wrist no problem!. They will ship me his Omega to wear when he delivers my watch We have done this twice now and it works out well ) Here's sellers pics :

I like the classic b/w look better than the current Tiger Tudor Chrongraph they sell and can't afford a Daytona as it is over twice what this Tudor cost for one of the same vintage
I like that model very much with the Paul Newman style dial. The Heritage chrono is pretty nice as well. I saw one at a local AD this past weekend, and I've handled them before at watch school. Nice deigns.

Cheers, Al

February 14th, 2011, 10:54 pm #6

nt

February 15th, 2011, 4:37 am #7

You have certainly added some nice pieces over the last year or so. Congrats!

Quality comes with time.

February 15th, 2011, 5:08 am #8

The Zenith movement (Rolex Cal. 4030) was introduced in 1988, and ran until the Cal. 4130 was introduced in 2000. The Daytona preadates 1988 by quite some time, and was introduced in 1960, so there were many years of non Zenith movements before they were actually placed into the Daytona models.

Previous movements included the Valjoux 72 (I'm actually working on a Cal. 72 right now from a vintage Rodania chronograph), the Valjoux 722/1, and the Valjoux 727. These were all manual winding movements, and included the models known as Paul Newman Daytonas.

Regarding the US Customs issues, that is real and quite specific to the USA. Rolex USA is the only entity that can import Rolex watches in any quantity other than 1. You are allowed to purchase a Rolex while on vacation and import it into the US for personal use, but shipping them in is certainly risky. For this reason I only service Rolex watches from non-US addresses.

Cheers, Al
The 6238 is often referred to as the pre-Daytona because it preceded the 6239, the first chronograph in the Rolex stable to be called a Daytona. Initially, the 6239 had only “Cosmograph” printed on the dial. Later, the 6239 had both “Cosmograph” and “Daytona” printed on the dial. The 6238 shares the same case as the 6239, however the 6239 had the tachymetric scale engraved on the bezel rather than on the outer edge of the dial like the 6238. Apart from dial colorations, this is the only real difference between the 6238 and the 6239. The 6239 was apparently the model worn by Paul Newman in publicity photos for the movie Winning and also apparently appeared on his wrist much later while on the cover of an Italian magazine. The 6239 worn by Paul Newman had an exotic colored dial with the base dial one color and the sub-dials a contrasting color. Today Daytona Cosmographs with an exotic dial are referred to by some collectors as Paul Newman dials regardless of the model reference number and are particularly sought after, commanding outrageous prices.
The Rolex 6238 Chronograph existed in three series and lasted from approximately the mid 1960’s to about 1967. The first series had dials similar to the 6034 and 6234 reference numbers and existed with or without the tachymetric scale.
Rolex used the 72B or the 722 on early chronos. Both movements are based on the hand wound Valjoux Caliber 72A. Rolex essentially took the base model Valjoux 72A and modified it by upgrading and engraving certain parts. The 6238 housed the 72B until approximately 1965 and was replaced by the 722 from 1965 on. It is interesting to note that all Rolex chronograph movements were based on the Valjoux Caliber 72A from about 1960 until roughly 1987, and that’s quite a testament to the greatness of the caliber. It powered the various later Rolex chronograph model references as the 722-1 and lastly the 727. The Valjoux 72A was also widely used by other watch companies in their chronoraphs including but not limited to Heuer (now Tag Heuer), and Longines. For a short while the Valjoux 72 even powered the Breitling 806 Navitimer and is considered a rarity amongst Navitimer collectors. Rolex finally replaced the Valjoux 72A based movement in their chronographs by the heavily modified automatic Zenith caliber 4030 in 1988.

Boomtown

February 15th, 2011, 11:00 am #9

nt

Theneilo uk

February 15th, 2011, 12:00 pm #10

.... I might have to look at some more of these "stealth" Rolexes They seem to have made some interesting watches ! Since they are not sold here, not many of the usual "Rolex folks" know anything about them !! Hence my term "stealth"