This Seagull has my interests

This Seagull has my interests

May 5th, 2011, 2:02 am #1

So what do you guys think of this one?
I prefer the White dial most.

I like the big date, and always wanted a moonphase.

Seagull M308S
http://www.usseagull.com/EnProductShow. ... =73&ID=116

[/img]

[/img]

May 5th, 2011, 2:04 am #2

------------------------------------------

May 5th, 2011, 2:05 am #3

Seagull M308S

[/img]

[/img]
For a dress style watch white is an awesome colour. There is some nice detailing on that dial as well. I especially like the prominent large date in the middle like that...

May 5th, 2011, 3:01 am #4

Seagull M308S

[/img]

[/img]
as much as I like the looks of that watch I just could NOT justify spending $300.00 on a CHINA made watch! Sorry but there are SO many Seikos and Citizens out there for that price or less that I think would be far superior! JMHO

May 5th, 2011, 3:42 am #5

If I am not mistaken that movement is 28800 bph and adjusted to three positions. Also, mechanical moonphases are NOT inexpensive. That would be easily a $3000 Swiss watch...

This is the catch-22 that the Chinese watch industry faces. People associate Chinese watches with knockoffs and cheap crap. However, if they only sell ST16 powered stuff that does nothing to show that they are more than a Timex like watch (solid and inexpensive).

So, they try to produce higher grade movements and sell them for as little as 10% of what a comparable Swiss watch would sell for or less than half of what a comparable Japanese watch would sell for.

They sell in-house Tourbillons for $4000. Comparable perhaps to a $30000 Swiss Tourbillon but they people will say "yeah but I can buy x watch for $4000"...

As nice as some of the ST16 powered watches are I think you need to play with a ST19 powered Sea-Gull dress chrono or one of their ST21 or ST25 powered watches...

Ask Poy how he likes his M171S (I think his is a M171S). Incredible dial and the rotor on that watch is really nice...

I have decided to keep this watch and Al is doing some upgrades to it (sending it out for lume, regulate to 6 positions):

Sapphire crystals back and front, In house 28800 bph movement with hack and handwind... All for under $300...

What more could you want?
Last edited by Zoodles95 on May 5th, 2011, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2011, 3:47 am #6

I bet Rene would like it too! though the color scheme might be a bit too trendy for him hahahhaa!

May 5th, 2011, 5:34 am #7

Seagull M308S

[/img]

[/img]
...and although I love the blue dial (taste is taste) both are wonderful IMHO.

It's an ST2528 automatic and big-date movement, 29 jewels, all-stainless case, sapphire crystal front and back and a true moonphase, not just day/night. It's considered a premium movement in its range at Tianjin/Sea-Gull and is one of a family of movements that include double-bridge open-heart models used by, among others, Timex.

I think it's very good value for the $290 being asked, especially since Sea-Gull has excellent quality control on its in-house watches and uses its best quality picked movements in its own pieces.

AMCH/PR - Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

May 7th, 2011, 2:59 am #8

Nice, now thats a validating endorsement if ever. haha. thx. nt