Swiss Legend - NEPTUNE -

Swiss Legend - NEPTUNE -

August 20th, 2011, 4:20 pm #1

This is the most controversial purchase I have ever made and, by doing that, I broke all my previous rules about what watch I`ll wear and what watch I won`t wear. Let me say that when I 1st saw this watch about 1 year ago, I was intrigued by its design. But, looking at the price, I convinced myself to put this watch further down the list. Now, the price has droped significantly I should say, but the determining factor was actualy seeing this watch in person, which happened a few weeks ago. So, I decided last week, to pull the trigger on this watch and put this "issue" to rest once and for all.

Now, I can`t tell you if this is the best bang you get for your bucks($99) but sure as hell, its a lot of it!!!

And here are the pictures.
This box landed on my door step 2 days ago.

Oh NO! The box is full of "Cheetos" ...

Yeap! its a Swiss Legend watch.

Now, lets see whats inside....

Whatever it is, its Yellow... yellow-mello.

Outer box, inner box, manual and pillow ... oh, and the watch

Now, lets take a closer look at this lime (hope its not a "lime") after I take off the protective tape of the cristal

Now, here it is. Swiss Legend Neptune. I wanted a yellow watch for the past few months so now I got one. This one, except the metal parts, its all yellow but the color variations and combinations for this model are amazing.

The whole watch has an interesting design. The watch seems to be placed in between the lugs which are made of a different piece all toghether. It reminds me the way Seiko Sawtooth is put together.

The silicone starp is extremly soft and therefore very comfortable to wear. The strap is held in place by screws inside the lugs. Signed Stainless Steel
buckle holds the watch on the wrist.

The screw down straight knurled crown is at 4 o`clock and it has the Swiss Legend logo on it. Nice touch. I always liked those signed crowns - just like many of us. The size of the crown allows you to comfortably screw it on or off even when the watch is on the wrist. It has about 4 full turns before it springs away from the tube. The crown can be pulled out to 2 positions. 1st position is the date quick set and the 2nd is the time setting. I`ve synchronized the Legend with my Blue Angels and so far, for the past 2 days, it keeps good time.

Even if the watch has a rubber-ish look to it, it has a significant weight to it as well. The cristal is surrounded by a unidirectional stainless steel bezel with 60 solid clicks. Beneath the cristal, is a glossy yellow dial with black numbers at 12, 3, 6 and 9 and black hour markers in-between.

This is a perfect combination of colors (black and yellow) for high visibility. Little dots of luminous material at every hour marker but the lume is poor. Shinny central second hand has 1/3rd of its tip painted black. The same idea was aplied to the hour and minute hand. The logo "Swiss Legend" and the model "Neptune" is black.

A rather small opening for the date is found at 4 o`clock.

Info`s about the watch will say it measures 52mm but that is realy 53mm plus the crown and you`ll get just over 55mm. As far as thickness, I think it puts the Seiko Tuna to shame. It measures a good 19mm.

And here is the Neptune compared to my other 2 big watches: Seiko Sawtooth and atomic Blue Angels.

The Seiko Sawtooth could literaly hide inside the Neptune

The silicone strap is dedicated for this watch so replaceing it with something else its just not possible. The strap starts off wide at the lugs then in tapers off slightly

Now, as far as the quartz movement goes... I`ve seen beter. One of the things I noticed is when adjusting the time. There is some back-lash to the minute hand and it is very sensitive. Once I adjusted the time and push the crown in, the minute hand will move a bit back or forth. I tried numerous times to get this right and its almost impossible. Now, the second hand. It looks like gravity has a role to play in the way the second hand lines up with the markers. If the watch is dial up, the second hand hits the markers prety good and consistently all around the dial. When I flip the watch with the dial faceing front, the second hand seems to "fall" almost a half a second, specialy when it passes the 1 o`clock mark. Going "up", past the 6 o`clock mark, it hits the marks again. That tells me that there is quite a bit a slack in the gears.

As I knew from before, Swiss Legend is legendary for using cheap quartz movements in some of their watches, probably some chinese made movement, I was just hoping that the movements aren`t THAT cheap. Well, on the positive side
of this, I may just be able to replace the whole movement at some point - should I decide to keep the watch.

In closing, here are some more wrist shots.

Thanks for watching.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

August 20th, 2011, 4:36 pm #2

but I'm not too fussy on the rest of it. Just my tastes.

So, you provided a million shots but no movement pics and no mention of what's under the hood. Is it a Claro Semag CL888 perhaps?

------------------------------------------

August 20th, 2011, 5:04 pm #3

............... >>> a Semag CL888. I didn`t wanna open the watch just yet but I`m sure that that inside is a dinky little quartz movement. I remember that Mark boought a Swiss Legend just to show that it has a chinese quartz movement in a so called swiss watch (assuming that the watch even saw Switzerland).

August 20th, 2011, 5:26 pm #4

but I'm not too fussy on the rest of it. Just my tastes.

So, you provided a million shots but no movement pics and no mention of what's under the hood. Is it a Claro Semag CL888 perhaps?

............ >>> about the Swiss legend Neptune quartz movement came up with this.

http://www.esslinger.com/isaquartzmovem ... 832-1.aspx

Just as I thought; prety cheap movement, readily avaiable.

August 20th, 2011, 5:41 pm #5

ESA actually has a long and venerable history.
http://watchescorner.blogspot.com/2007/ ... rs-of.html

It may be true that these movements are inexpensive and readily available but they have proven to be just as robust as any the Japanese produce

August 20th, 2011, 5:50 pm #6

This is the most controversial purchase I have ever made and, by doing that, I broke all my previous rules about what watch I`ll wear and what watch I won`t wear. Let me say that when I 1st saw this watch about 1 year ago, I was intrigued by its design. But, looking at the price, I convinced myself to put this watch further down the list. Now, the price has droped significantly I should say, but the determining factor was actualy seeing this watch in person, which happened a few weeks ago. So, I decided last week, to pull the trigger on this watch and put this "issue" to rest once and for all.

Now, I can`t tell you if this is the best bang you get for your bucks($99) but sure as hell, its a lot of it!!!

Now, lets take a closer look at this lime (hope its not a "lime") after I take off the protective tape of the cristal

Now, here it is. Swiss Legend Neptune. I wanted a yellow watch for the past few months so now I got one. This one, except the metal parts, its all yellow but the color variations and combinations for this model are amazing.

The whole watch has an interesting design. The watch seems to be placed in between the lugs which are made of a different piece all toghether. It reminds me the way Seiko Sawtooth is put together.

The silicone starp is extremly soft and therefore very comfortable to wear. The strap is held in place by screws inside the lugs. Signed Stainless Steel

The screw down straight knurled crown is at 4 o`clock and it has the Swiss Legend logo on it. Nice touch. I always liked those signed crowns - just like many of us. The size of the crown allows you to comfortably screw it on or off even when the watch is on the wrist. It has about 4 full turns before it springs away from the tube. The crown can be pulled out to 2 positions. 1st position is the date quick set and the 2nd is the time setting. I`ve synchronized the Legend with my Blue Angels and so far, for the past 2 days, it keeps good time.

Even if the watch has a rubber-ish look to it, it has a significant weight to it as well. The cristal is surrounded by a unidirectional stainless steel bezel with 60 solid clicks. Beneath the cristal, is a glossy yellow dial with black numbers at 12, 3, 6 and 9 and black hour markers in-between.

This is a perfect combination of colors (black and yellow) for high visibility. Little dots of luminous material at every hour marker but the lume is poor. Shinny central second hand has 1/3rd of its tip painted black. The same idea was aplied to the hour and minute hand. The logo "Swiss Legend" and the model "Neptune" is black.

Info`s about the watch will say it measures 52mm but that is realy 53mm plus the crown and you`ll get just over 55mm. As far as thickness, I think it puts the Seiko Tuna to shame. It measures a good 19mm.

And here is the Neptune compared to my other 2 big watches: Seiko Sawtooth and atomic Blue Angels.

The silicone strap is dedicated for this watch so replaceing it with something else its just not possible. The strap starts off wide at the lugs then in tapers off slightly

Now, as far as the quartz movement goes... I`ve seen beter. One of the things I noticed is when adjusting the time. There is some back-lash to the minute hand and it is very sensitive. Once I adjusted the time and push the crown in, the minute hand will move a bit back or forth. I tried numerous times to get this right and its almost impossible. Now, the second hand. It looks like gravity has a role to play in the way the second hand lines up with the markers. If the watch is dial up, the second hand hits the markers prety good and consistently all around the dial. When I flip the watch with the dial faceing front, the second hand seems to "fall" almost a half a second, specialy when it passes the 1 o`clock mark. Going "up", past the 6 o`clock mark, it hits the marks again. That tells me that there is quite a bit a slack in the gears.

As I knew from before, Swiss Legend is legendary for using cheap quartz movements in some of their watches, probably some chinese made movement, I was just hoping that the movements aren`t THAT cheap. Well, on the positive side
of this, I may just be able to replace the whole movement at some point - should I decide to keep the watch.

Thanks for watching.

August 20th, 2011, 6:13 pm #7

ESA actually has a long and venerable history.
http://watchescorner.blogspot.com/2007/ ... rs-of.html

It may be true that these movements are inexpensive and readily available but they have proven to be just as robust as any the Japanese produce

................ >>> "keep it dry" you mean I can`t take a swim with this 100 Meter water resistant Swiss Legend watch?

August 20th, 2011, 6:21 pm #8

........... >>> its big, its yellow and sure as hell will draw attention. My wife wasn`t sooooo keen about this watch. Her exact word were: "... Yuk! That`s awful. That`s the most awful watch I`ve seen you wear."

Well, geez! Thanks honey! "..Most awful.."? Which were the others? Never mind... She has no taste when it come to watches. Just like I have no taste to her wardrobe.

Boy, if she reads this I`ll be in soooo much sh!t .... LOL

August 20th, 2011, 6:34 pm #9

Thanks for watching.

congrats, thats a yellow beast!

Huge, kind reminds me of the Jenny caribbean's shape wise or even my Nike Oregon's.

Rubber cased, I wonder how durable it is to rub marks and color fades?

looks like a fun watch.

cheers.

August 20th, 2011, 7:24 pm #10

Thanks for watching.

wearing it off and on, and the movement gives you good time for a year or so, then you got your money's worth IMO. Look at the Manbushijie watches George and I had bought for $70 or so! Mine was a sterile s*b and the other was a MMilitaire homage. Peter knows the Chinese movements used in them...cheap but highly accurate!

Look at the Artron with Chinese movement I won from Zoodles....$6 sale item but oh so nice to wear and accurate! My point being....after awhile, all the brand name watches get ...stale?? So......I say have fun with cheaper watches while the economy is wobbly!