Skeleton watches???

Skeleton watches???

December 16th, 2010, 7:26 pm #1

just out of curiosity....... how many of you own a Skeleton watch and as a rule..... what do you think of them?
It seems as if more and more watch makers are making them and advertizing them! Dont know if it's a trend or what? To me most of them look cheap but maybe that's just me!?
Ideas/opinions?

December 16th, 2010, 7:51 pm #2

Personally, I can never read the time on them.
I prefer a nice clean simple dial.

December 16th, 2010, 8:06 pm #3

just out of curiosity....... how many of you own a Skeleton watch and as a rule..... what do you think of them?
It seems as if more and more watch makers are making them and advertizing them! Dont know if it's a trend or what? To me most of them look cheap but maybe that's just me!?
Ideas/opinions?
that many watches are advertised using, likely, the Seagull ST25xx movements with tons of dial/casing fashion details. Japanese youth (under 40years old are into total fashion looks ...).

Some guys just love seeing the mechanics and therefore buy watches with presentation backs and skeleton dials.....I' m with George on this one....too practical to appreciate such designs. haha!

December 16th, 2010, 8:12 pm #4

Ideas/opinions?
For the most part, the majority of them are pretty inexpensive Chinese 'standard' movements that have been reworked and blinged up a little with blue painted screws and a little gold colour plating.

One of the absolutely best is a pocket watch movement put out by the Hangzhou factory. The screws are all blued nicely, there is a lot of very nice scroll work on the plate pieces that have not been removed and the inner works have been finished to a much higher level for visual beauty.
ETA also makes a nice skeletonised 6497 as seen on this site...
http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

Just scroll down a little and it will jump out at you

------------------------------------------

December 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm #5

Ideas/opinions?
At least to me, and I handled some very high end skeleton models. They are also very hard to read the time on, and that is a concern for me.

There are lots of other watches I would spend my dollars on before I bought a skeleton watch.

Cheers, Al

December 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm #6

that many watches are advertised using, likely, the Seagull ST25xx movements with tons of dial/casing fashion details. Japanese youth (under 40years old are into total fashion looks ...).

Some guys just love seeing the mechanics and therefore buy watches with presentation backs and skeleton dials.....I' m with George on this one....too practical to appreciate such designs. haha!
which I regularly do and Android And Stuhrling watches were being featured! Almost all of them were skeleton watches of sort so it seems as if that's the latest "fashion craze?!

December 16th, 2010, 9:38 pm #7

Ideas/opinions?
get drawn to them and comment. Mine is great and easy to read the time.

Boomtown

Last edited by saykobro on December 16th, 2010, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 16th, 2010, 11:34 pm #8

Ideas/opinions?
One procey and one very reasonably priced...

For the affordable... A Parnis Skeleton with a Chinese skeletonized 6497 clone...

I really should throw a new strap onto this one and give it some wear...

Or, if you want to spend 15-20 times the price you can snag a Tourbillon with the skeletonized Sea-Gull ST8000 Tourbillon movement...

This is my favourite side of the watch with the four wheels...

This will give you an idea of sizes...

The Parnis is actually fairly legible but the Tourbillon is almost impossible to tell the time on unless you really look for the hands...

December 17th, 2010, 1:31 am #9

Ideas/opinions?
I guess I fell for this gimmick. But I do like certain ones when they do it right.
I had one myself, got it on a trade. I really liked seeing the decorated mov't.
But, the problem with most, is the lack of contrast with the hands. So its very difficult to tell the time. It really bugged me. Hated that.
Its since long gone, but high end brands to low end, all are making them.
I like to see the guts. lol.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

December 17th, 2010, 1:56 am #10

get drawn to them and comment. Mine is great and easy to read the time.

Boomtown

quite a to-do about those Armitron skeletons at WalMart a while back. There were several versions available including one with blued screws and blued hands. I bought one of the other models, and returned it a day later because my old eyes weren't compatible with it. Are those the original hands on yours? I might have kept one with hands like that.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan
Last edited by RatBob44 on December 17th, 2010, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.