OT .............................. Technical difficulties ....... >>>>

OT .............................. Technical difficulties ....... >>>>

January 16th, 2011, 3:16 pm #1

..... with regrets, but my MCC (Mobile Command Center aka my laptop)decide to take an early "retirement". Right now I`m using the desktop, which I hate with passion. Anyway, it looks like I my be on the market for a new (for me) laptop. I was looking at some models, refurbished and/or off lease. Prices are not too bad but the bad part of it is that I will have to dip into my "watch funds" and maybe even think of sellimg some of the watches I have.
Now, I know that there are a few guys in here that know more about computers than I do so here are a couple a questions:
1. what`s the difference between a notebook and a netbook other than size?
2. proessor choices. The difference between AMD Athlon, Intel Atom, or whatever else is out there...

I welcome any info & ideas you guys have...

Thanks

I don`t make things. I make things better !

January 16th, 2011, 3:45 pm #2

In my experience netbooks are only for people under 40 with extremely good close vision and thin and precise fingers - I am still using a 12'' ultraportable from Dell, but that one was a very high-end model with a 4:3 ratio and great keyboard (and today in everything except movies would be the equivalent of a 13.3'' ultraportable - movies are the only place where the 16:9 screen is better than the old 4:3).

I am however hoping to change mine (much) later this year (or early next year) with something like Lenovo T410s (there is a T410 and a T410s, the T410s is seriously lighter) - not as thin as my current model but my eyes could use some extra screen estate.

Unless you find a big deal/sale (under 400-500$) from some great-quality Dell (Latitude, not Inspiron) or Lenovo (T or X models) that have been used and now upgraded by a big company/bank I would stay away from used - I believe you could find the T410s on some sale deals around 1000-1200 US$ and that includes good warranty and a battery that most likely will last at least 2-3 years (unlike a 2nd hand one that could as well be dead in 3-6 months).

Also if you buy new you can pick at least 2 GB RAM (4 could be good idea if you find a good deal) and Windows 7. Right now the best notebook CPUs are the Intel Core models (from 5 up), probably not the best for the money but if you buy new it makes sense since those will most likely will not need an upgrade and you will only change the notebook when it dies.
Last edited by xdesk on January 16th, 2011, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2011, 6:18 pm #3

Not for the Power difference or even size which ok is a smaller alternative to a Laptop but for the sheer aesthtetics of trying to use it,Smaller screen,smaller Keys,smaller Processor,Smaller RAM.Those are just a few points.
On the move Granted i assume they do a great Job,Yet seeing as most people on the planet use their Laptops at home but in different rooms they rarely venture outside.Go for a Laptop all day long.
Pentium do hold the aces on Processors due to the Branding and advertising but tend to run slower pound for pound against AMD.This said AMD tend to run at overclocked speeds and so run Hotter than Pentium Processors.This meaning that a 2600mhz AMD will and usually does run faster than a Pentium 3.0mhz
Me personally i love AMD and wont pay premium prices for Pentium and get slower speeds.RAM or Random Access Memory is always a case of more is better.My Laptop has 6gb of KINGSTON RAM the same as whats in my 2 Desktop computers,This basically enables users to multitask with no speed loss on using open applications,If theres ample RAM then you can be doing allsorts all at once with no slow down of the Processor speed.
The only other contribution to a laptop is internet speed,The UK has probably some of the fastest home Broadband in the world of which i took ample use of by installing Fibreoptic Broadband at 50MB speed,Hooked up to a good spec Laptop with a Fast Processor and huge RAM you cant go wrong.

Brand wise its all up to the User.Dell,Evesham,Toshiba,Sony Vaio all do a great Job but tend to cost the most.

Desktops i build from Scratch with the best case,memory,Motherboard,Power supply,Writers,Readers,Videocards,Soundcards that i can afford so its up to money what you get.Laptops you are Governed by the Brand with what they spec it with.You can always Upgrade Memory on certain Laptops

One tip i can give regardless is use External Hard drives to store all your Files and not your Laptop Drives,Then you are not filling your drives and slowing your computer down,Its always working at Max Speed then.

I have 3X 2TB external Hard drives USB connected to each of my Desktops and my Laptop.Plus they are Portable so you can take them anywhere and the cost of them is Plummeting due to the Imminent Release of Solid state Flashdrives being Released with no moving Parts.

You pays your Money,You makes your Choice.Buy the Best you can afford.

Neilo.

Theneilo uk

January 16th, 2011, 7:05 pm #4

If the Operating System is 32 bit based then anything over ~3.2MB of RAM will not be used by it and be a waste of money.
If you are running a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit OS, then the more memory the better

------------------------------------------

January 16th, 2011, 7:15 pm #5

My desktops are both 64bit Quad Core,6gb RAM and are Awesome to say the Least.Ive just bought two Bluray Writers for them but the Blanks are still overpriced for now.

Theneilo uk

January 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm #6

but it uses the early Intel quad core processor at 2.6GHz(AMD only had their 3 core available at that time). I only put 4GB of RAM in it because I was forced to use XP Pro for my engineering apps.
I never ran into a single thing that even slowed the machine down!

Now that I am running Linux, I could probably make use of more RAM but haven't found the need yet

------------------------------------------

January 16th, 2011, 7:34 pm #7

..... with regrets, but my MCC (Mobile Command Center aka my laptop)decide to take an early "retirement". Right now I`m using the desktop, which I hate with passion. Anyway, it looks like I my be on the market for a new (for me) laptop. I was looking at some models, refurbished and/or off lease. Prices are not too bad but the bad part of it is that I will have to dip into my "watch funds" and maybe even think of sellimg some of the watches I have.
Now, I know that there are a few guys in here that know more about computers than I do so here are a couple a questions:
2. proessor choices. The difference between AMD Athlon, Intel Atom, or whatever else is out there...

Thanks

Bought an ASUS netbook a few months ago for just $300 and I love it. 99.9% of my computer use is just surfing so I wanted something ultraportable with a long battery life which is what netbooks are built for.

Keep in mind, netbooks are not just smaller laptops. The operating system and processor are stripped down to provide the long battery life so if you do any kind of games or any other processor heavy application you will want something else. Lots of picture editing is probably not going to work well just because of the small display size and high def movies probably won't work well either. Playing music is fine, but I have noticed a little slow down when playing music with a bunch of chrome tabs open. I do have the opportunity to double the RAM which will probably help a lot, but I haven't done so yet.

My screen is 10 inches on the diagonal and I think they go up to 12 inches. The screen can seem tight sometimes but I don't mind so much. There are also some differences with keyboards. Mine is a 93% size which took some getting used to. Also the more expensive ones will have a more sturdy feel to the keys like a regular keyboard but I don't mind the feeling on mine. Hard to describe so I would go to your local store and check out a few different ones.

Mine has 3 USB ports, ethernet, WiFi, SD card reader, headphone port, microphone port, monitor port, and even a dinky webcam in the monitor frame so if you wanted to use something like a docking station at a desk you could easily plug in a full size keyboard, mouse and regular monitor. Keep in mind that there is no internal CD drive. There are portable ones, or you can either network with a desktop or use a portable USB drive.

I intended to try using a Linux OS in this little machine, but I found I actually like the Windows 7 so I will probably just decide to stick with that. I don't have the energy to babysit my computers. Most will come with Windows 7 Starter which one complaint is that you can't change the default desktop. Some of the manufactures have a little workaround for that and there are solutions on the web. For mine, I just have to drop the pictures I want for the desktop in a dedicated folder and then use the ASUS desktop program to change. Other than that I don't know what else the Starter package is missing.

If you decide to go this route, most of the machines are pretty much the same with just minor differences. Just be aware of the very bottom end because they will usually have just a 3 cell battery which will only give about 4 hours of battery life which is a deal breaker for me.

January 16th, 2011, 8:45 pm #8

In my experience netbooks are only for people under 40 with extremely good close vision and thin and precise fingers - I am still using a 12'' ultraportable from Dell, but that one was a very high-end model with a 4:3 ratio and great keyboard (and today in everything except movies would be the equivalent of a 13.3'' ultraportable - movies are the only place where the 16:9 screen is better than the old 4:3).

I am however hoping to change mine (much) later this year (or early next year) with something like Lenovo T410s (there is a T410 and a T410s, the T410s is seriously lighter) - not as thin as my current model but my eyes could use some extra screen estate.

Unless you find a big deal/sale (under 400-500$) from some great-quality Dell (Latitude, not Inspiron) or Lenovo (T or X models) that have been used and now upgraded by a big company/bank I would stay away from used - I believe you could find the T410s on some sale deals around 1000-1200 US$ and that includes good warranty and a battery that most likely will last at least 2-3 years (unlike a 2nd hand one that could as well be dead in 3-6 months).

Also if you buy new you can pick at least 2 GB RAM (4 could be good idea if you find a good deal) and Windows 7. Right now the best notebook CPUs are the Intel Core models (from 5 up), probably not the best for the money but if you buy new it makes sense since those will most likely will not need an upgrade and you will only change the notebook when it dies.
On a notebook a faster CPU is not automatically better - there is a certain compromise between speed on one side and heat + battery life on the other.

And if you like to use your notebook in bed or move a lot around the house a very light high-end model really helps - my very old Dell ultraportable is lighter than most of the modern netbooks and has better screen and keyboard, and that is the reason why I do not intent to go any bigger/heavier than the T410s that I mentioned. Also Toshiba has some very good light models but I do no longer know how the prices/discounts are - it's almost as with watches - you should never pay 'full sticker price'

January 16th, 2011, 8:49 pm #9

Thanks

.... just came back from some "window shopping". Basically, everything I looked at that would be a good size for me would strip me from $389 and up. The Netbooks I saw, were too small and even if they have certain advantages given their small size - they are just too small. I`m not too much into complicated picture editing or a lot a music playing. Mostly what I do, 95% of the time, is internet browsing. That`s why I was considering a Netbook.
As far as the Laptops go, they are BIG! A 17" screen (to start with) is not realy what falls into a laptop category for me. Also, my budget is lower that what i can afford to drop on those suckers.

According to a computer litterate guy I just talked to, my laptop has a "worm". When I turn it on, it just keeps on loading but never gets past the "Windows XP" screen that shows up at the start up. I tried to boot it up in the "safe mode" and that seems to work to the extend that i can access my files and in fact I can access the whole computer. It looks like I can stat the laptop in any mode but "normal". But can`t get internet since in safe mode, it doesn`t load & recognize modem or wireless card. OK, so I got a "worm"...

The question is, if I`m in this "safe mode", and transfer over files to my USB drive, will the virus/worm be transfered as well? I suppose that depends on what kind of virus I dealing with ...

January 16th, 2011, 9:38 pm #10

Variants B and C place a copy of their DLL form on any attached removable media such as USB flash drives, from which they can then infect new hosts through the Windows AutoRun mechanism.

Boomtown