OT: Peter, help needed on Ubuntu. The wubi download was for 10.4 so last night

OT: Peter, help needed on Ubuntu. The wubi download was for 10.4 so last night

November 18th, 2010, 2:37 pm #1

I started the update to 10.10 and it is still downloading! All night and still going when I left for work this morning! Wow that is quite a download! Might not update again. My question is: can I surf the Net while it is downloading or will that harm or bugger the download. It told me to cease all operations and close all folders. The time remaining according to the down-loader is 1 day as of this morning at 8am! Do I have to go cold turkey at home with no Internet until this beast downloads?

Boomtown

November 18th, 2010, 3:12 pm #2

Im downloading on Virgin Fibreoptic Broadband at 50MEG here in the UK.
films off the internet take minutes to download for me.

Theneilo uk

November 18th, 2010, 3:17 pm #3

is a several hour download. Hopefully it will be complete when I go home today from work. I think that I will stick with 10.10 this time with no more entire upgrades and just do the security updates. Never seen anything take this long!

Boomtown

November 18th, 2010, 5:00 pm #4

I started the update to 10.10 and it is still downloading! All night and still going when I left for work this morning! Wow that is quite a download! Might not update again. My question is: can I surf the Net while it is downloading or will that harm or bugger the download. It told me to cease all operations and close all folders. The time remaining according to the down-loader is 1 day as of this morning at 8am! Do I have to go cold turkey at home with no Internet until this beast downloads?

Boomtown

I haven't used WUBI but it sounds like it has hung.

Just kill it and if you want to ungrade to 10.10, you'll need to grab the '.iso' image then burn it to a CD/DVD and install it that way.

At worst, just select the 'Recovery' selection from the boot menu and it should fix anything that might be broken.

------------------------------------------

November 18th, 2010, 5:28 pm #5

Im downloading on Virgin Fibreoptic Broadband at 50MEG here in the UK.
films off the internet take minutes to download for me.

Theneilo uk

Neil, I envy all you guys outside of Canada. You guys have great pricing on your ISP's.
We get shafted by our monopolized ISP's who also throttle our speeds accordingly.
Also US and Asia have blistering speeds and very affordable compared to our gouged prices.

I'm also a Mancusian at heart. Been to Old Trafford and held the Premier league cup.
"United we stand"

November 18th, 2010, 6:14 pm #6

I haven't used WUBI but it sounds like it has hung.

Just kill it and if you want to ungrade to 10.10, you'll need to grab the '.iso' image then burn it to a CD/DVD and install it that way.

At worst, just select the 'Recovery' selection from the boot menu and it should fix anything that might be broken.

hit F2 or F10 (can't remember which) when boot shows, arrow down to 'recovery' and hit 'enter'? I hope that the program will let me shut down. Last night it seemed to be in complete control and I don't think that I could have shutdown if I had wanted to. Hopefully it is complete now. Can't have the wife look at it as she can barely forward an email!

Boomtown

November 18th, 2010, 7:28 pm #7

it may not work.

You can always turn the machine off by pulling the plug...just tell the computer there was a power outage

November 18th, 2010, 7:42 pm #8

Boomtown

November 18th, 2010, 9:23 pm #9

but maybe it will be done by the time you get home

November 18th, 2010, 9:29 pm #10

see 'recovery in boot' for Vista. I am back in Windows only and think that I will give up on Linux systems. They are too non-user friendly for an old fellow to mess with any further. I will probably have to hire a tech to get Ubuntu out of my computer now.

Boomtown