OT: O.K., I give up and join the Linux gang. I finally just sucessfully, I think,

OT: O.K., I give up and join the Linux gang. I finally just sucessfully, I think,

November 6th, 2010, 4:12 am #1

downloaded Ubuntu 10 and I am using it now to surf and post. I thought that I would never be able to do it, but knock on my wood head, I finally did it! Very fast and pretty easy to use. I am still feeling my way around with it. Sure hope that it keeps showing up on my boot page. So far, so good. I will now try a picture post with my current watch of choice tonight.

Boomtown

November 6th, 2010, 4:25 am #2

of checking watch sites and posting photos...so fast...waaay better than FF or IE8!!!! Photos are rendered in a split second! It accesses the new WUS software without flaws and remembers my login....
Using FF and IE is frustrating trying to log in ...so I end up rebooting and choosing Ubuntu!
In fact, I was just reading about the Netbook edition, thinking of replacing the OS Windows 7 starter version on my Epson netbook....
I have read that some netbooks had probs with wireless connections but there was a workaround.....so......am hesitating downloading it. Too lazy to copy to USB stick ....haha!

Downloading and installing inside XP was a snap without glitches....
Not choosing a dual boot, it takes only about 60 seconds to reboot and clik on Ubuntu from XP.....so now I am getting used to it quickly....

Good luck on adapting to it...hope it works for you!

November 6th, 2010, 4:26 am #3

downloaded Ubuntu 10 and I am using it now to surf and post. I thought that I would never be able to do it, but knock on my wood head, I finally did it! Very fast and pretty easy to use. I am still feeling my way around with it. Sure hope that it keeps showing up on my boot page. So far, so good. I will now try a picture post with my current watch of choice tonight.

Boomtown

Boomtown

November 6th, 2010, 4:40 am #4

of checking watch sites and posting photos...so fast...waaay better than FF or IE8!!!! Photos are rendered in a split second! It accesses the new WUS software without flaws and remembers my login....
Using FF and IE is frustrating trying to log in ...so I end up rebooting and choosing Ubuntu!
In fact, I was just reading about the Netbook edition, thinking of replacing the OS Windows 7 starter version on my Epson netbook....
I have read that some netbooks had probs with wireless connections but there was a workaround.....so......am hesitating downloading it. Too lazy to copy to USB stick ....haha!

Not choosing a dual boot, it takes only about 60 seconds to reboot and clik on Ubuntu from XP.....so now I am getting used to it quickly....

your hard drive instead of downloading it separately and burning it to a live cd before downloading to the hard drive which requires repartitioning. Is this a correct assumption that you are running Ubuntu in windows?

Boomtown

November 6th, 2010, 4:44 am #5

connected to internet fine....

November 6th, 2010, 4:47 am #6

Boomtown

on my Eee netbook...but did not install, as Noah had installed XP pro English version ....
That old netbook was just too slow running XP...so it sits unused...tried shipping it to Peter, but Customs caught the lithium battery inside box and shipped it back to me!!!

November 6th, 2010, 2:52 pm #7

Boomtown

November 6th, 2010, 3:36 pm #8

In the end, I think you'll be happy with that choice.

Let me understand what you and Thian did...you installed Ubuntu under Windows? You access Ubuntu directly from Windows and not through a boot option at startup?

If so then you are running a virtual machine and I'm surprised it runs so fast :-O

------------------------------------------

November 6th, 2010, 3:41 pm #9

there are solutions for just about everything in Ubuntu!
As soon as a problem arises, there are dozens of coders out there who make it a challenge to create a solution

As you've already seen, Ubuntu gives you incredible speed on the desktop. Get the Netbook version and I'm sure you'll think it turned into a desktop And again, if you run into problems, there will be solutions available.

November 6th, 2010, 3:43 pm #10

on my Eee netbook...but did not install, as Noah had installed XP pro English version ....
That old netbook was just too slow running XP...so it sits unused...tried shipping it to Peter, but Customs caught the lithium battery inside box and shipped it back to me!!!
for that old machine. It will give it a new life and surprising performance