OT for Thian - Royal Stetson Resort

OT for Thian - Royal Stetson Resort

April 10th, 2010, 9:12 am #1

There hasn't been any hat chat here for days, so here's a few pictures of my Royal Stetson Resort, given to me many years ago by my grandfather

Sadly this hat, now fiftyish years old, is wearing out, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. With the current fashion towards narrow brims and fairly short crowns there is no rough equivalent to be found anywhere that I know of. If anybody has any idea (particularly if it can be found in a shop somewhere in the Perth metropolitan area) then please let me know.

As this is an Asian watch forum, here's a pictures of the hat with an Asian watch

April 10th, 2010, 10:53 am #2

High crowned and usually brims over 3.5 inches are getting rare, it seems..in the dress hat catogory at least. There are more casual larger brimmed hats as in rancher style our outback styles..
My brim width suitable for my size seems to be 2.5 to 2.75 inches.

April 10th, 2010, 2:28 pm #3

There hasn't been any hat chat here for days, so here's a few pictures of my Royal Stetson Resort, given to me many years ago by my grandfather

Sadly this hat, now fiftyish years old, is wearing out, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. With the current fashion towards narrow brims and fairly short crowns there is no rough equivalent to be found anywhere that I know of. If anybody has any idea (particularly if it can be found in a shop somewhere in the Perth metropolitan area) then please let me know.

As this is an Asian watch forum, here's a pictures of the hat with an Asian watch

... have you taken a look at some of Akubra's offerings? I am waiting for my Campdraft in Silver Belly, as it is the same hat Akubra made for Stetson in Australia and was sold as the Open Road model back in the 70's / 80's. It also was sold as the Stylemaster for Stetson as well then. I got mine from these folks in Australia : http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... kubra+Hats
as the US importer of Akubra : http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2 does not carry the Campdraft model. You might take a look at this Akubra :

the Squater if you want a wider band than come s on the Campdraft.
Again, NICE old Stetson
Last edited by monbla256 on April 10th, 2010, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2010, 4:57 am #4

It looks quite similar to my Stylemaster (not currently available in black) apart from the vent above the band. I don't think my local hat shop has that particular model but I might ask them about it.

It is important that it has a 'diamond' crease in the crown, not a simple V crease, as my hair is getting thin, and once it grows longer than about 15mm, a V crease will put a crease in my hair. Never used to happen when I was young (like maybe 3 years ago). I'm considering getting rid of my Akubra CEO for that reason.

Ah, the trials of age...

By the way, does anybody know if Royal Stetson made the exact same models as Stetson in the USA? This hat of mine was probably made locally here in Western Australia for Aherns department store who were the exclusive distributors of Royal Stetson. Makes me wonder if there were local stylistic variations.

It also makes me wonder what happened to all the local hat-makers.

April 11th, 2010, 3:52 pm #5

.... made for australia, but rather a series just below the '100' made for sale here as well. To get around import tax duties, many US firms had local manufacturers of goods make some of thier products in the country of sales to the firms specs. This was the case for the OpenRoad and Stylemaster models. In fact from what I've read, the Stylemaster is still sold in Australia and is still made by Akubra for Stetson The Campdraft is Akubra's name for the same hat and comes as an open crown, ready for you to crease as you want ! Here's the Camdraft in Silverbelly that I'm getting:

photo from Hatsdirect

April 11th, 2010, 7:34 pm #6

came up with tons of sites selling them.....read lots of interesting history of the styles and differences in crown crease styles etc.....haha! Now watching old movies I look at hats and styles and crown creases!!! oh my gawd! hahaha!

April 12th, 2010, 2:17 am #7

.... made for australia, but rather a series just below the '100' made for sale here as well. To get around import tax duties, many US firms had local manufacturers of goods make some of thier products in the country of sales to the firms specs. This was the case for the OpenRoad and Stylemaster models. In fact from what I've read, the Stylemaster is still sold in Australia and is still made by Akubra for Stetson The Campdraft is Akubra's name for the same hat and comes as an open crown, ready for you to crease as you want ! Here's the Camdraft in Silverbelly that I'm getting:

photo from Hatsdirect
I've concluded that what I want is an Akubra Federation if I can find one. Really tall crown with no taper and about the right size brim. I'm going to make enquiries at my usual hat place, Top Hatters on Barrack St, to see if they can get one in for me and do the bash and the brim like my old Stetson. I'd also like to find out what the dimensional differences are between the Federation III and IV.

Interesting info about Akubra doing the Stylemaster for Stetson while offering it under a different name in their own brand, because they produce a 'Stylemaster' of their own. Which is the hat I'm wearing today:

I bought the Stylemaster as a replacement for my worn out vintage Akubra Warwick (inherited from a great-uncle). Up close the quality difference is obvious. The Warwick is not lined and felt is stiffer. Great style, though.

My plan is to get rid of the Warwick and my Akubra CEO to free up space on the hat stand.
As soon as I get a replacement sorted, I'll offload the Stetson, too.

April 12th, 2010, 2:20 am #8

came up with tons of sites selling them.....read lots of interesting history of the styles and differences in crown crease styles etc.....haha! Now watching old movies I look at hats and styles and crown creases!!! oh my gawd! hahaha!
a Panama is exactly what you need.

Looks like your latest hobby is collecting hobbies.

April 12th, 2010, 2:49 am #9

revisiting old interests when I was much younger! Now, at 61+, I feel like having fun with my LIFE! hehehehe! Hats, boots, watches, guitars, bikes, cameras, leather bomber jackets, vests, etc etc......hahaha!

April 12th, 2010, 2:51 am #10

I've concluded that what I want is an Akubra Federation if I can find one. Really tall crown with no taper and about the right size brim. I'm going to make enquiries at my usual hat place, Top Hatters on Barrack St, to see if they can get one in for me and do the bash and the brim like my old Stetson. I'd also like to find out what the dimensional differences are between the Federation III and IV.

Interesting info about Akubra doing the Stylemaster for Stetson while offering it under a different name in their own brand, because they produce a 'Stylemaster' of their own. Which is the hat I'm wearing today:

I bought the Stylemaster as a replacement for my worn out vintage Akubra Warwick (inherited from a great-uncle). Up close the quality difference is obvious. The Warwick is not lined and felt is stiffer. Great style, though.

My plan is to get rid of the Warwick and my Akubra CEO to free up space on the hat stand.
As soon as I get a replacement sorted, I'll offload the Stetson, too.
wanna sell, maybe later???? I take medium..around 7 1/2.... hehehe...