OT......Digital cameras...........

OT......Digital cameras...........

June 27th, 2011, 10:17 pm #1

This coming Saturday is our 25th. anniversary and my Wifes 60th. B/day so I have been pressing her for details as to what she wants and to my surprise she told me she wants a new Digital camera! OK...... the search begins! I am somewhat tight for funds so I thought something in the 2-$225.00 would be ok.
I did some research and found this one........
Nikon Coolpix S6100
16 Megapixel
7x zoom
3" LCD screen
Looks easy enough for her to operate and the 16 Megapixel feature should give her some nice clear looking pictures! Her other digital only has a 7.2 Megapixel w/3x zoom.
Whattya think??

Edited to add:
I found this one at Sears and it's on Sale for $179.00 so IF she likes the RED then my shopping is done and I'll get it tomorrow!
Last edited by time_watcher on June 27th, 2011, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2011, 10:28 pm #2

.......... >>> start with a budget. Lets say you got $250 to burn then start looking around what choices you have for that price.

I personaly have nothing against the Nikon family. But consider ohter choices as well. See the features you get for the money you pay. Canon, Olympus, Pentax have some realy nice models as well. Try to walk into a Best Buy or whatever electronic store you guys have there and play with some of the cameras. See how easy is to navigate thru the menus.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

June 27th, 2011, 10:32 pm #3

Yes... good idea and I will do that! It has to be easy for me to operate so if it is..... it will also be easy for her as well!

June 27th, 2011, 11:11 pm #4

This coming Saturday is our 25th. anniversary and my Wifes 60th. B/day so I have been pressing her for details as to what she wants and to my surprise she told me she wants a new Digital camera! OK...... the search begins! I am somewhat tight for funds so I thought something in the 2-$225.00 would be ok.
I did some research and found this one........
Nikon Coolpix S6100
16 Megapixel
7x zoom
3" LCD screen
Looks easy enough for her to operate and the 16 Megapixel feature should give her some nice clear looking pictures! Her other digital only has a 7.2 Megapixel w/3x zoom.
Whattya think??

Edited to add:
I found this one at Sears and it's on Sale for $179.00 so IF she likes the RED then my shopping is done and I'll get it tomorrow!
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... eview.html

June 27th, 2011, 11:46 pm #5

Yes... good idea and I will do that! It has to be easy for me to operate so if it is..... it will also be easy for her as well!
.......... >>> interesting I found while browsing...

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... 69440.html

Play the video - I think that`s pretty cool

June 28th, 2011, 3:02 am #6

noise at all levels doesn't sound so good to me

I've been watching Nikon Coolpix offerings for a long time now and since the last of the 4x series Coolpix, there really haven't been any stand outs. Most have mediocre macro capabilities and all seem to suffer from the same things that are pointed out in this and other reviews. There are better P&S cameras out there in the same price range.

Move up a couple of classes and the Nikons are among the best, if not the best

------------------------------------------

June 28th, 2011, 3:22 am #7

.......... >>> they are not bad but like you said: for that price range, you`ll probably find something better. Like I said earlier, Nikon its OK but it doesn`t yank my chain. Their small camera design hasn`t realy changed much over the years and, as every one knows, they are doing a much better job with their DSLR`s cameras. It almost seems like they are just throwing something out there (the point & shoot cameras) to have a piece of the pie.

June 28th, 2011, 3:36 am #8

almost professional Coolpix 9xx series articulated models.

I have the Coolpix 950 and I have not yet found another P&S that can produce macro shots like these ones do. The CP 995 will focus down to almost zero and with it's 3 mega pixel array, can capture clear sharp detailed macros that put all other P&S as well as many DSLR's to shame.

I believe the last really good articulated CP was the 4500 and in spite of it's 4 megapixel array, still couldn't top the macro capabilities of the 9xx series.

It is a pleasure to own the 950 and know that my much newer Canon Powershot A720iS(8 megapixels) can't even come close on the macro stuff

------------------------------------------

June 28th, 2011, 4:44 am #9

were done with that Nikon..the flower shots, the girl head shots...

June 28th, 2011, 10:41 am #10