OT......... car hunting (still)

OT......... car hunting (still)

April 7th, 2011, 11:55 pm #1

Looks like perhaps yet another week-end that the Wife will be looking at cars! She has pretty much made up her mind on a Nissan but cant decide yet whether to go car (Altima) or SUV (Rogue)
The Altima pictured here is a Pearl White 2011 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine and for the price point is starting to look better and better!

I still prefer she buy the Rogue but it's not up to me!

April 8th, 2011, 12:28 am #2

Bluebird model. But I think it now is styled as the TEANA here. Great styling...I'm a Nissan fan. thumbs up on that Altima!

April 8th, 2011, 3:39 am #3

Looks like perhaps yet another week-end that the Wife will be looking at cars! She has pretty much made up her mind on a Nissan but cant decide yet whether to go car (Altima) or SUV (Rogue)
The Altima pictured here is a Pearl White 2011 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine and for the price point is starting to look better and better!

you driven one yet? That 2.5L is very zippy. You'd swear it was a six. Also very good on gas mileage. I have a bad back (sciatica) and need a higher seat for scooting in and out so I would pick the Rouge. Were it not for the back problem, it would be Altima all the way.

Boomtown

April 8th, 2011, 4:36 am #4

Well the Wife is looking at all factors and so far she is liking the Altima. Price of course is a major factor as she plans to pay cash for it thus no payments. The Rogue would be about 5K more so at this point its still speculative!
She as of yet has not driven one but has driven the Rogue.

April 8th, 2011, 12:08 pm #5

U.S.A., I would have thought (from some of your earlier posts on manufacturing in North America), that you would have bought a car from an America company?
I thought you were an apple pie 'n Chevrolet kind of guy:)

April 8th, 2011, 1:29 pm #6

Don't be bitchin about manufacturing jobs if you buy the Rogue
Last edited by GeorgeRado on April 8th, 2011, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2011, 1:51 pm #7

Boomtown

April 8th, 2011, 2:02 pm #8

good 'ol boy's in Georgia.

April 8th, 2011, 2:42 pm #9

First let us know how much you are looking to spend. That will definitely allow us to suggest some very good options. As for the Altima That vehicle is supposed to be replaced sometime this year, I believe. That would make the one you are interested in 3 generations old. I'm not sure whether that matters to you or not, but it's worth noting.

as for the rogue, It is made off the same platform as the current generation Altima (the one after the Altima in your picture) and uses the same 4 cylinder engine. They share a ton of parts and the FWD Rogue is mechanically almost identical to the Altima (though the rogue's transmission is a CVT, not a traditional set up).

If you are buying used, then the whole argument about buying american is nonsense, as the vehicles are already in the markte and the money for resale is not going back to the manufacturers or their employees (assuming that is your motivation). Still it should be mentioned the both the Rogue and the Altima sold in the US are also built in the US (Altima in TN and MS, and the Rogue in MS).

If you are willing to pay for a used Rogue, then I'm assuming that you are OK with spending in the mid teens. If so, then I would strongly encourage you to check out the latest offerings from Hyundai. Yes I said Hyundai. I know it is a dirty word yo most, but this company has been intentionally pursuing Toyota in terms of manufacturing controls and overall reliability for well over a decade. their latest batch of cars is finally matching Toyota for quality in most aspects, and their styling is finally actually good (very good in some models). For the mid teens I would STRONGLY recommend the 2011 Hyundai Elantra, which is easily one of the nicest and largest cars in its class. This one is built in Alabama, BTW. Here are some pics for you to see:

Review:

http://www.autohotest.com/1756/2011-hyu ... ed-review/

Exterior:

Base model interior (manual):

Loaded interior (Automatic):

I've tested this and the new sonata as well, and If it wasn't for the badge I would never have guessed that these were Hyundais. They are that nice. Even if you are not interested, do yourself a favor and go take one for a test drive. you won't be disappointed.

GO HOKIES

April 8th, 2011, 2:52 pm #10

If the resale market for used imports dropped drastically then people would think twice before buying a new one, therefore encouraging people to buy domestic.
This is just my opinion, but if we bought our own cars here in North America, you would see a huge improvement in the economy.