O/T setting up wireless internet connection now...

O/T setting up wireless internet connection now...

July 25th, 2010, 9:14 pm #1

Peter or Poyman...the wife and i bought a wireless router and plugged it into the modem. Status lite shows sending signal.
plugged in the usb receiver into wife's new xp 64bit in the other room. Light blinks showing receiving. On the lower right status bar on desktop, it show signal received..BUT...now the IExplorer browser shows a bit red X over the IE icon....

What could account for this?? Wife spent 2 hours trying all sorts of ways to connect but frustration.
Going into the XP wireless connection wizard, she followed it but still no working connection.
I sense we are so close, but am missing a step...!?
Did we not set up the LAN system properly?
Any suggestions are welcomed! The tech guy from the store we got the unit will not be free until early August to come and check it out.....so for now, the wife hogs my computer hahaha!

July 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm #2

areas of the house via the wireless host. Is that correct? And you can not get on the Internet from the peripheral machines? All I can tell you is that I set mine up via the XP wireless connection wizard. I have a two story house and really use the wireless. I got rid of my Compac (HP) desktop (through the darn thing in the dumpster at work) and replaced it with a Gateway super fast laptop that I use as a host desktop. I run the wife's Gateway laptop off of it downstairs wireless. I had no big problems and just followed the wizard and the wireless router instructions. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps my friend sir Petre can chime in.

Boomtown

July 25th, 2010, 10:37 pm #3

Peter or Poyman...the wife and i bought a wireless router and plugged it into the modem. Status lite shows sending signal.
plugged in the usb receiver into wife's new xp 64bit in the other room. Light blinks showing receiving. On the lower right status bar on desktop, it show signal received..BUT...now the IExplorer browser shows a bit red X over the IE icon....

What could account for this?? Wife spent 2 hours trying all sorts of ways to connect but frustration.
Going into the XP wireless connection wizard, she followed it but still no working connection.
Any suggestions are welcomed! The tech guy from the store we got the unit will not be free until early August to come and check it out.....so for now, the wife hogs my computer hahaha!
What I did was to go into the network admin window and on the left side, you have a bunch of options. Select disable device(make sure it's the wireless one you have selected); then when it has finished, select enable device.

This should make sure all the devices are running on the same IP.

------------------------------------------

July 26th, 2010, 12:19 am #4

....... from work did the same thing. Even tho I set it up for her, it was working perfect and then a month later ....silence! The laptop wouldn`t pick any wireless conections (and I`m surrounded by at least 3-4 neighbours who have them on). Even after entering that WEP number (26 digits long) still wouldn`t pick it up. In the end I did the the same thing Peter recomended: disable it then enable it and just to make sure the settings would take effect, I restarted the whole computer.

Try to take your laptop in a Mall or soem place where you know for sure there is a wireless network, see if it picks it up.... If it doesn`t, then you know its your laptop you have to play with.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

July 26th, 2010, 12:55 am #5

areas of the house via the wireless host. Is that correct? And you can not get on the Internet from the peripheral machines? All I can tell you is that I set mine up via the XP wireless connection wizard. I have a two story house and really use the wireless. I got rid of my Compac (HP) desktop (through the darn thing in the dumpster at work) and replaced it with a Gateway super fast laptop that I use as a host desktop. I run the wife's Gateway laptop off of it downstairs wireless. I had no big problems and just followed the wizard and the wireless router instructions. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps my friend sir Petre can chime in.

Boomtown

the wife's new 64bit desktop is the wireless unit....hmmm...okay, I found online the XP connection wizard but the darn IE icon has the red X over it! weird...thanks anyways..

July 26th, 2010, 12:57 am #6

What I did was to go into the network admin window and on the left side, you have a bunch of options. Select disable device(make sure it's the wireless one you have selected); then when it has finished, select enable device.

This should make sure all the devices are running on the same IP.

get her to try that...

July 26th, 2010, 1:01 am #7

....... from work did the same thing. Even tho I set it up for her, it was working perfect and then a month later ....silence! The laptop wouldn`t pick any wireless conections (and I`m surrounded by at least 3-4 neighbours who have them on). Even after entering that WEP number (26 digits long) still wouldn`t pick it up. In the end I did the the same thing Peter recomended: disable it then enable it and just to make sure the settings would take effect, I restarted the whole computer.

Try to take your laptop in a Mall or soem place where you know for sure there is a wireless network, see if it picks it up.... If it doesn`t, then you know its your laptop you have to play with.

I don`t make things. I make things better !
xp64 bit, 1 terabyte of drive...so the store built a larger fan in the larger casing.
The computer is picking up signals (even 5 from around our apartment...but when we go to clik on IExplorer icon, it shows the red X over it! so, we cannot get the internet browser to access the internet! frustrating... I thought to use the usb memory stick to insert Firefox and open it up and see if it will access the internet...but have not done so...

July 26th, 2010, 3:24 am #8

Boomtown

July 26th, 2010, 4:03 am #9

been reading about firefox for 64bit...and IE for 32bit and 64bit versions.....

July 26th, 2010, 5:29 am #10