MP3 question ............................. >>>

MP3 question ............................. >>>

May 23rd, 2011, 12:32 am #1

.......... >>> as I know, there are lots a guys here that know about this computer stuff... So, right now, I ran into this little issue: downloaded some music in MP3 format. That`s fine so far. But when I tried to transfer it to the CD I can only fit 80 minutes worth of play - which is the capacity of the CD.
WTF ????
I was under the impression the the MP3 is a compressed audio/data format. I`m not doing this too often, as a matter of fact, I only did this once about 2 years ago but then somehow I managed to fit close to 8 hours of MP3 music on one CD. Does this mean that the music I downloaded now its NOT MP3 ?

I don`t make things. I make things better !

May 23rd, 2011, 12:45 am #2

loaded them on to CDs I guess they were 80min ones then...In fact I play one CD in the car which holds 120 cuts of assorted selections....but still 80mins worth of time. CDs are OLD! have you thought of the newer DVD format ones? Of course WAV files get only about 6 on an old CD.

May 23rd, 2011, 12:45 am #3

.......... >>> as I know, there are lots a guys here that know about this computer stuff... So, right now, I ran into this little issue: downloaded some music in MP3 format. That`s fine so far. But when I tried to transfer it to the CD I can only fit 80 minutes worth of play - which is the capacity of the CD.
WTF ????
I was under the impression the the MP3 is a compressed audio/data format. I`m not doing this too often, as a matter of fact, I only did this once about 2 years ago but then somehow I managed to fit close to 8 hours of MP3 music on one CD. Does this mean that the music I downloaded now its NOT MP3 ?

no matter what you put on it. It's printed right on the package cover

------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ancre-Steam on May 23rd, 2011, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2011, 1:00 am #4

.............>>> a CD is 80 min long but what I`m saying is that the data (MP3) which is a compressed format, allows you to store a lot more PLAY TIME than the CD 80 minutes.

In other words, when the data, music in this case, is being de-compressed by the player, it can play continuously for up to 8 hours! That could roughly contain 160 songs! All that is stored on a 80 minutes CD!

What my question was that right now I was trying to transfer the MP3 audio files on the CD but I can only fit as much on the disc as much is capacity of the CD - 80 minutes! So, does that mean that the files are NOT MP3 formated even tho when I downloaded them it said MP3 file?

May 23rd, 2011, 1:03 am #5

seems like maybe the files are not being compressed before writing to the CD...but I could be wrong.
I have made CDs with supposed MP3 files and I don't remember any that played longer than 80 minutes, if that.

May 23rd, 2011, 1:12 am #6

..........>>> that`s what bugs me!

I did it before but now I can`t remember what the heck did i do. MP3s should not take out that much space - othervise what`s the point?

May 23rd, 2011, 1:18 am #7

Are you recording from analog CDs and trying to compress them?

May 23rd, 2011, 10:49 am #8

.............>>> a CD is 80 min long but what I`m saying is that the data (MP3) which is a compressed format, allows you to store a lot more PLAY TIME than the CD 80 minutes.

In other words, when the data, music in this case, is being de-compressed by the player, it can play continuously for up to 8 hours! That could roughly contain 160 songs! All that is stored on a 80 minutes CD!

What my question was that right now I was trying to transfer the MP3 audio files on the CD but I can only fit as much on the disc as much is capacity of the CD - 80 minutes! So, does that mean that the files are NOT MP3 formated even tho when I downloaded them it said MP3 file?

she makes mp3 music files up to 5 tracks and then compresses them. Her take is this:

some of your MP3 files are longer than others depending on how many tracks were used.

The old CDs were meant for large WAV files on those 80 mins capacities. So , you should get more than 80 mins of play time with MP3 compressed files, though every MP3 would be of different time lengths. Mine run at least over 80mins each with at least 100 files copied. Some are classical, some are jazz, some are light rock etc etc.....one Spanish Jazz cut is over 8 minutes long! ( our car HHD player shows how many cuts there are and the time length of each....

So, she thinks many of your MP3 files are lenghy ones!

May 23rd, 2011, 10:55 am #9

play time on that CD will vary depending on the simple or complex tracks used to record each MP3 music file....if that makes sense. If most of your copied music files are simple ones ( a few tracks ) , then you can copy ...like over 100 files, as I have done! My play time is longer than the 80 minutes of the CD, since many of the compressed files are 1 minute, for example, not a regular WAV file song of 4+ minutes..........this is what the wife thinks....

May 23rd, 2011, 12:10 pm #10

WTF ????

If you burn it as a data disk, you can look at file sizes and fit as many tracks as you have GB available. If you burn it as an audio disk, it's only going to be 80 minutes of song play time, and the size of the files in bytes and how much compression there is means nothing.

Cheers, Al