made an impulse purchase, but... what is it?

made an impulse purchase, but... what is it?

October 19th, 2011, 2:13 pm #1

I just made an impulse purchase without even knowing what I was buying. The seller said it shares the same dimensions as the 300m Seiko Tuna Can. Dial says "Tektron 200m" and the watch is powered by an unknown but japanese quartz movement. Here is the seller's pic with kind permission:

Does anybody know or have ever seen this kind of Tuna or the brand name? I would love to know more of its history and origin.

TIA and cheers,
Mario

October 19th, 2011, 5:30 pm #2

I like it! nt

October 20th, 2011, 1:53 am #3

I just made an impulse purchase without even knowing what I was buying. The seller said it shares the same dimensions as the 300m Seiko Tuna Can. Dial says "Tektron 200m" and the watch is powered by an unknown but japanese quartz movement. Here is the seller's pic with kind permission:

Does anybody know or have ever seen this kind of Tuna or the brand name? I would love to know more of its history and origin.

TIA and cheers,
Mario
Me like

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

October 21st, 2011, 12:41 pm #4

TIA and cheers,
Mario
Postie was here today, so it's about time to share my first impressions...

The watch in question:

[/IMG]

Dial says "Tektron 200m Water Resist Quartz Japan Movement"

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

...looks very similar to those 300m Seiko Tuna Can's...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
(left: 7549-7010; middle: Tektron Tuna; right: sbbn007)

...but that's all about the similarities It looks and feels much cheaper compared to any Seiko Tuna I own (1000m 7c46-7009, 300m 7549-7010 and 300m 7c46-7011). The crystal seems to be a cheap mineral crystal and the bezel is a unidirectional but with a lot of play, perhaps due to the single bezel spring. The crown is not a screw down but a push in crown. Unfortunately I have no case-opener so I am not able to tell you what kind of movement it uses. I'll provide some pictures of the movement as soon as I can. However, the movement hacks and has a day/date quickset. The day disk is bi-lingual (english/spanish).

Now let's take off the shroud...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The base case seems to be very similar to the Tuna cases, although the shroud seems to be lighter compared to the original ones (7549 and sbbn007). The shroud of a sbbn007 is a direct swap, but unfortunately the Tektron shroud doesn't fit the sbbn007 or the 7549-7010 due to a slightly shorter diameter. Perhaps a little filing would do the job

[/IMG]

...some comparison shots...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

...the pvd'd shroud of my 7549-7010 is also a direct swap...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Lets remove the bezel....

[/IMG]

...there is only one single spring in place. A comparison shot of the Tektron bezel (left) next to a bezel taken off from a 7548 diver (right)....

[/IMG]

...and next to a sbbn007... the sbbn007 uses a screw down crystal retaining ring while the Tektron Tuna uses a press down ring...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The Tektron Tuna has a much lower profile, maybe due to the different caseback. Another naked Tuna shot together with the bezels (left: Tektron; right: sbbn007, top: 7548):

[/IMG]

And finally a group shot:

[/IMG]

Conclusion so far: the Tektron Tuna is a nice little shrouded Diver but it cannot compete with any Seiko Tuna. No screw down crown, no screw down crystal retaining ring, cheaper materials and I have yet to find gaskets/seals

However, it is another unknown (to me) shrouded diver and I am very pleased to welcome it in my small but humble (and slowly growing) collection of Tuna's. Now the search goes on for a 500m Scubapro Automatic Tuna and a 700m Ricoh Quartz Tuna

Feel free to post your comments and thoughts about the Tektron Tuna....

Thanks for reading...

EDIT:

I just returned from a local watchmaker who kindly took off the caseback, so I was able to take a couple of pictures:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Please welcome a tiny miyota no jewels quartz movement

Now the most important question is: will it be possible to replace this miyota with an automatic Seiko 6309 or maybe a quartz 7548 movement?
Last edited by mario_d on October 21st, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 22nd, 2011, 1:27 pm #5

............ >>> looking diver even if its a cheapper or lower quality. Not sure why do you wanna swap movements? What`s wrong with the Miyota?
I can`t see it well on the pics but the Miyouta is a pretty tiny movement (diameter and thickness) Not sure if you`ll be able to find anything that thin. The 7548 is a much larger movement in every sens of the word - diameter and thinckness - and so is the 6309. The challenge is not the diameter of the movement but rather the thickness of it.

Good luck

I don`t make things. I make things better !

October 22nd, 2011, 4:38 pm #6

...it's just the idea of owning an automatic Tuna and the good old 7549 are predestined for that kind of modification. Well, I think I will keep this Tektron Tuna just like that, because at the end of the day I wouldn't be able to mod such a rare shrouded diver without feeling guilty...