I switched to CHROME..............

I switched to CHROME..............

August 26th, 2011, 1:06 am #1

for the past several weeks(give or take) I was having problems using Firefox as it would hang up on me and not respond when I would click on any of my bookmarks! It would hang and hang for as long as 3-4 minutes before it would finally connect!
I took it to the shop yesterday where he tested it and gave it a good going over but failed to find anything wrong!
He asked me why I was using Firefox and I told him I had used it for a long time and was used to it!
He highly recommended using CHROME and I told him I had used it in the past and never cared for it's interface.
Well we D/L it while I was there and he helped me set it up as to the way I liked it and so far..... knock on wood it hasn't hung on me all day!
Its screams of speed and it's interface, now that I know what I'm doing with it is very plain but simple to use!
Time will tell!

August 26th, 2011, 3:42 am #2

I still like Firefox and Pale Moon (a Windows optimized fast FF) also. Firefox is a great browser and still fast for me in FF6 and Palemoon5. You might want to try Palemoon also.

August 26th, 2011, 3:44 am #3

for the past several weeks(give or take) I was having problems using Firefox as it would hang up on me and not respond when I would click on any of my bookmarks! It would hang and hang for as long as 3-4 minutes before it would finally connect!
I took it to the shop yesterday where he tested it and gave it a good going over but failed to find anything wrong!
He asked me why I was using Firefox and I told him I had used it for a long time and was used to it!
He highly recommended using CHROME and I told him I had used it in the past and never cared for it's interface.
Well we D/L it while I was there and he helped me set it up as to the way I liked it and so far..... knock on wood it hasn't hung on me all day!
Its screams of speed and it's interface, now that I know what I'm doing with it is very plain but simple to use!
Time will tell!
change your Operating System to Linux.

August 26th, 2011, 1:53 pm #4

LOL. Actually It really is, since Chrome is webkit and linux based. It does work faster in Linux, followed by MacOS and it is slowest in Windows, though the latest version of Chrome seeks to fix that.

A question for Rene. The interfsce between chrome and firefox is virtually identical (except that firefox's is customizable while chromes isn't really). what version of firefox where you using that was that different from chrome? You should be up to version 6.0. To check, go to your FF help menu and click on "about firefox" a window will open that will tell you your version umber. if it is anything other than 6.0, that window will give you the option to upgrade. I strongly recommend that you do.

GO HOKIES

August 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm #5

------------------------------------------

August 26th, 2011, 2:01 pm #6

Just download it again, you'll get the latest version that way.

GO HOKIES

August 26th, 2011, 2:57 pm #7

LOL. Actually It really is, since Chrome is webkit and linux based. It does work faster in Linux, followed by MacOS and it is slowest in Windows, though the latest version of Chrome seeks to fix that.

A question for Rene. The interfsce between chrome and firefox is virtually identical (except that firefox's is customizable while chromes isn't really). what version of firefox where you using that was that different from chrome? You should be up to version 6.0. To check, go to your FF help menu and click on "about firefox" a window will open that will tell you your version umber. if it is anything other than 6.0, that window will give you the option to upgrade. I strongly recommend that you do.

GO HOKIES
"home" icon and by using the many Chrome Extensions. Mine has Adblock +, Send This Link With Gmail, Google Translate, Awesome Screenshot, WOT, and Google Dictionary. Rene, simply click the "wrench" icon and "tools" and then "extensions" and lastly "get more extensions". Select the ones that you want and they quickly download and appear on your control bar to the right of your Smart/URL Bar.

August 26th, 2011, 5:16 pm #8

GO HOKIES
quite the same between the 2
Altho the differences are subtle they are still somewhat different!

Notice the File, Edit, View History Bookmarks etc at the upper left on Firefox VS the different icons located below on the screenshot of Chrome?

The little Folder marked Firefox is where I click for my bookmarks and the Yahoo sites with favorites is not on the left as it is in Firefox! Also the HOME button wasnt initially there and had to be added!
As I said...... subtle but yet very different!
I was using Firefox 6.0 and as previously mentioned about every 3rd. time or so when I would click on my bookmarks page it would FREEZE and I'd get a NOT responding text and it would hang for as long as 3-4 minutes before connecting!
Since using Chrome now for several hours it hasnt hung up once!

August 26th, 2011, 5:41 pm #9

August 26th, 2011, 9:12 pm #10

quite the same between the 2
Altho the differences are subtle they are still somewhat different!

Notice the File, Edit, View History Bookmarks etc at the upper left on Firefox VS the different icons located below on the screenshot of Chrome?

The little Folder marked Firefox is where I click for my bookmarks and the Yahoo sites with favorites is not on the left as it is in Firefox! Also the HOME button wasnt initially there and had to be added!
As I said...... subtle but yet very different!
I was using Firefox 6.0 and as previously mentioned about every 3rd. time or so when I would click on my bookmarks page it would FREEZE and I'd get a NOT responding text and it would hang for as long as 3-4 minutes before connecting!
Since using Chrome now for several hours it hasnt hung up once!
Since Firefox 4 the default configuration has looked almost exactly like this:

The only modifications on that are the theme that make the frame black, my quick links and that I have moved the refresh/stop button out of the address bar and placed them separately on the left, and that I have added cut copy and paste buttons (all of which I prefer as small buttons. The default view combines everything inside the big firefox button (the orange one) which serves the same purpose as the chrome Wrench macro.

This is the default view of chrome:

See the basic layout is the same. Unlike Firefox, chrome does not allow you to customize the interface. This means that you cannot add drop down menus or relocate the position of the tabs, or add or remove buttons like you can with firefox. you can add extensions, just like you can in firefox, but that is not the same as modifying the interface itself.

If you're running FF6, you are not running in in default mode.

GO HOKIES