Hoodwinked by Hodinkee? - Vintage Seiko Chronographs

Hoodwinked by Hodinkee? - Vintage Seiko Chronographs

June 2nd, 2012, 11:57 pm #1

Hodinkee decided to "get in on the act" writing a "buyers guide" on the vintage automatic Seiko chronographs!

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/5/31/ ... guide.html

Unfortunately, they seemed to have missed the mark ... in a big way!!

Check out this thread @ PWC where this Hodinkee article was "discovered" ...

http://philippinewatchclub.org/forum/vi ... 21&t=16169

Especially see my comments on it [Ninja01] & the response/comment I wrote & tried to post @ Hodinkee about their rather problemmatical article!!

If you go to that buying guide link, you'll see that my comments did NOT get past their filtering ... are they afraid of the truth??

Too bad they are really doing a dis-service to the 6139 & 6138 calibres of Seiko automatic Chronograph calibers of 1969 & the 1970s!!

I'm trying again today, submitted a new comment for them pointing out the dial "problems" with their example of a Kuro Uma (6138-004x Black Bullhead)

Sigh!! Don't you just hate it when people spread lies about our favorite Japanese watches or ???

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

June 3rd, 2012, 2:47 am #2

What you are doing is helping those of us who care. Your in depth knowledge and research is indisputable.

Those other folks are in the business of selling and they probably don't really care if their data is faulty. They are obviously feeling 'loss of face' so I don't find it surprising that your comments are dismissed or deleted.

Keep strong and the truth will prevail

You have provided a resource(on Seikoholics) for any collector, that is not likely surpassed in detail and accuracy anywhere else on the Internet!

------------------------------------------

June 4th, 2012, 11:36 pm #3

It's not that it bothers me "personally" if they allow in my comment or not ... however: if they are going to block any kind of refutation of facts that are either clearly wrong or just "in question" then they are doing a definite dis-service to the collecting community. "Dr. Seiko" himself probably said it best recently ... paraphrasing here ... their conscience probably should bother them if they show something "modded" as if it were "factory original" and then an inexperienced Seiko collector went out & "bidded-up" one on eBay (etc.) thinking it was indeed a "correct" example of the model ... only to find out later the sad truth.

Anyway - I did try again & submitted (for their "censors") a new comment targetted on just the Kuro Uma dial. At least that one did get thru!! So, a small victory for the "truth" in our hobby

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors