Had to run out tonight and buy a new router...

Had to run out tonight and buy a new router...

July 28th, 2011, 5:36 am #1

the old one packed it in

Not bad for ten years I guess. The new one has the same specs but seems to be lightning fast! And it was half the price of the original one

------------------------------------------

July 28th, 2011, 7:45 am #2

Hi Pete. What brand? Does the small print show that country of manufacture has changed. Cheers Phil

July 28th, 2011, 2:05 pm #3

July 30th, 2011, 9:25 pm #4

the old one packed it in

Not bad for ten years I guess. The new one has the same specs but seems to be lightning fast! And it was half the price of the original one

I went cheap and bout the least expensive one I could and that turned out to be a mistake

Had a chat with the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they set me straight. I now have a very nice Cisco 2500 router that does wired, wireless and a bunch of other stuff I'll likely never use.

It's true...you only get what you pay for !

July 30th, 2011, 9:31 pm #5

our techie tried every way to install it but finally ended up using another brand made in Japan with the instructions all in Japanese, not translated! (Buffalo brand worked for us)....He was good enough to not charge the extra product cost!

July 30th, 2011, 11:39 pm #6

which was just over 9 years ago. I went to Staples and bought what was on sale; the LinkSys that served us so well. Just checked; it was made in Taiwan...QC must have been a lot better back then

The new one is designed in California and manufactured in China. It works perfectly, so we'll have to see how many weeks, months or years of service it gives us

July 30th, 2011, 11:40 pm #7

I went cheap and bout the least expensive one I could and that turned out to be a mistake

Had a chat with the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they set me straight. I now have a very nice Cisco 2500 router that does wired, wireless and a bunch of other stuff I'll likely never use.

It's true...you only get what you pay for !

Hi. We use the D Link here and they seem OK. Maybe they produce different levels of quality. Cheers Phil

July 30th, 2011, 11:48 pm #8

Yes, there are several levels of quality and capabilities.

I'm sure the one I got would have been adequate for a single computer just checking e-mail and doing some light browsing but we have three fairly busy computers running a lot of bandwidth intense stuff so it was dropping out a lot and running very slow when all of us were on line at the same time.

I had to choose between the Cisco I did get and a similarly priced and capable D-Link with assurances that I wouldn't have any trouble with either one.
Since my old one was a LinkSys which is now a Cisco company; I leaned that way.

This new router, although 2.5X times more money than the D-Link I tried, does perform flawlessly and is surprisingly faster than the old LinkSys with roughly the same specs.

Unless something goes wrong; I hope to not have to address this again for another 9 years

July 30th, 2011, 11:58 pm #9

which was just over 9 years ago. I went to Staples and bought what was on sale; the LinkSys that served us so well. Just checked; it was made in Taiwan...QC must have been a lot better back then

The new one is designed in California and manufactured in China. It works perfectly, so we'll have to see how many weeks, months or years of service it gives us

..............>>> back in 2007. Its a LinkSys by Cisco. I was happy at the time I got it for under $100. I stopped using it about 4 years ago because the internet provider gave me a wireless modem. Now that I`m not with the same company and I had to return the wireless modem, I pluged in the LinkSys and it fired right up. Connected it with my laptop, selected the channel, encription, password, etc in under 5 minutes. And I thought the thing isn`t up to speed anymore and that I have to buy a new one. I have a very good reception everywhere in the house even outside in the backyard - except the basement!

I don`t make things. I make things better !

July 31st, 2011, 12:14 am #10

Hi. We use the D Link here and they seem OK. Maybe they produce different levels of quality. Cheers Phil
............. >>> I never liked D-Link. Here in Canada they are priced cheapper than other brands but the guy from the store told me that people buy them cuz they are cheap(per) but then they end up bringing it back the next day and spend the extra $20 to get a better one....

I don`t make things. I make things better !