Got home to find a parcel waiting for me...

Got home to find a parcel waiting for me...

September 13th, 2011, 3:43 am #1

Thian; for some reason; felt he had to send me a watch or two; or three

We have here an almost new Zhong-Shan that was probably only ever worn by Thian for some photos.
It is nicely gold plated and shows no signs of having been worn at all. The movement is the veritable work horse SN-2, 9 lewel caliber. These movements have a long reserve; 50+ hours; and are not only reliable but keep excellent time.
I love the applied logo and markers. The dial has an interesting cross with a lined background that looks much more pronounced than in the picture.

Next is a 'dusty rose' or 'light plum' coloured dial with a slightly brushed center strip that runs vertically from 12 to 6. As the watch is moved around; this center strip shimmers and changes with the light conditions...very attractive.
The movement is one of the nicest ST-5 stripped models I've had the pleasure of seeing and it is the first striper to join my herd!
This watch could well have been manufactured last week; it's the new looking and fresh!

The smaller gold beauty in the center is none other than Thian's 'Dolce'. This has an 8n41 caliber movement...not your everyday quartz!
The blue sticker is still on the back and again doesn't look like anyone but Thian has worn it.
The gold-on-gold dial is absolutely gorgeous. It looks not unlike a Grand Seiko model with a similar dial.
I have watched the seconds hand go around the dial many times and the tip of the hand is never more than about a quarter of it's width off of the markers. Absolutely a joy to behold.
There is some Japanese text on the back with a date, so this may have been a commemorative watch. I'll try and take some pics of the text and see if we can get it translated.

I know this is just Thian's way of sharing WISdom and I really appreciate the unexpected gesture. All of these watches will remain in my collection as treasured pieces!

Thank you very much Thian; you have a big and generous heart

Peter

------------------------------------------

September 13th, 2011, 3:58 am #2

Hmm how bout root beer upgrade?

Really you deserve it Uncle Thian. hehe.

September 13th, 2011, 4:36 am #3

Thian; for some reason; felt he had to send me a watch or two; or three

We have here an almost new Zhong-Shan that was probably only ever worn by Thian for some photos.
It is nicely gold plated and shows no signs of having been worn at all. The movement is the veritable work horse SN-2, 9 lewel caliber. These movements have a long reserve; 50+ hours; and are not only reliable but keep excellent time.
I love the applied logo and markers. The dial has an interesting cross with a lined background that looks much more pronounced than in the picture.

Next is a 'dusty rose' or 'light plum' coloured dial with a slightly brushed center strip that runs vertically from 12 to 6. As the watch is moved around; this center strip shimmers and changes with the light conditions...very attractive.
The movement is one of the nicest ST-5 stripped models I've had the pleasure of seeing and it is the first striper to join my herd!
This watch could well have been manufactured last week; it's the new looking and fresh!

The smaller gold beauty in the center is none other than Thian's 'Dolce'. This has an 8n41 caliber movement...not your everyday quartz!
The blue sticker is still on the back and again doesn't look like anyone but Thian has worn it.
The gold-on-gold dial is absolutely gorgeous. It looks not unlike a Grand Seiko model with a similar dial.
I have watched the seconds hand go around the dial many times and the tip of the hand is never more than about a quarter of it's width off of the markers. Absolutely a joy to behold.
There is some Japanese text on the back with a date, so this may have been a commemorative watch. I'll try and take some pics of the text and see if we can get it translated.

I know this is just Thian's way of sharing WISdom and I really appreciate the unexpected gesture. All of these watches will remain in my collection as treasured pieces!

Thank you very much Thian; you have a big and generous heart

Peter

the Chinese pieces are sweet and should join your collection. The Dolce was given to me by the Panasonic guard for his first 20 year service. I had a new battery installed and replaced the dried out original strap. That is a rare caliber I am told! The gold dial is the really nice aspect IMO! That piece was meant to be your dress watch haha! nice size for your wrist! hahaha!

September 13th, 2011, 4:40 am #4

Hmm how bout root beer upgrade?

Really you deserve it Uncle Thian. hehe.
nt

September 13th, 2011, 4:59 am #5

the Chinese pieces are sweet and should join your collection. The Dolce was given to me by the Panasonic guard for his first 20 year service. I had a new battery installed and replaced the dried out original strap. That is a rare caliber I am told! The gold dial is the really nice aspect IMO! That piece was meant to be your dress watch haha! nice size for your wrist! hahaha!
It is truly the only really fine watch I have that is pure dress.

Did your wife ever translate the Japanese text on the case back for you?

September 13th, 2011, 5:02 am #6

nt
you've been paying if forward,good karma back for you. ;) nt

September 13th, 2011, 5:04 am #7

quartz astron

[/img]

September 13th, 2011, 5:54 am #8

when the battery died, the guard stuck it back in his drawer and never wore it. He wore the Seiko Arnie! haha! which I bought from him! hehehe! Since he never wore it and it needed a battery, he gave it to me, knowing I was a collector. He would bring tearouts of magazine watch pictures for me too!

September 13th, 2011, 5:56 am #9

quartz astron

[/img]
Japanese who love wood and nature.

September 13th, 2011, 2:04 pm #10

when the battery died, the guard stuck it back in his drawer and never wore it. He wore the Seiko Arnie! haha! which I bought from him! hehehe! Since he never wore it and it needed a battery, he gave it to me, knowing I was a collector. He would bring tearouts of magazine watch pictures for me too!
so the serial number of 52xxxx would put this at a Feb 1995 manufacture