gone but not forgotten Shanghai

gone but not forgotten Shanghai

May 4th, 2011, 1:50 am #1

Here's a cool one that I had briefly and later went on to Chascomm.
I haven't seen it posted during this Chinese week.

shanghai military reissue
[/IMG]

May 4th, 2011, 1:57 am #2

be the replacement I need for my departed 62MAS... Like the 1963 I find those pretty cool...

I have seen some neat 25 jewel variants posted on the WUS Chinese Watch forum which apparently has a 28800 bph calibre powering it.

May 4th, 2011, 2:38 am #3

Initially I loved the dial/style of that cool piece, and I still do.

But I guess, as a wis, I was tainted with some bad luck & experience.
I had some trouble with my shipment, and when it finally came, by fedex, not my requested mode of shipping method by the way, it was all bashed the package.
I had requested for EMS from China, but the seller failed to ship a few times claiming problems, and after 4-5days of trying to send apparently, he shipped fedex for faster service apparently.

So I was majorly disappointed to see this all banged up on arrival. But the watch seemed ok initially until I started to inspect. Crown was wobbly, and issue with lug ends as the watch came off after wearing shortly.

I wanted an exchange but later seller and I agreed for a refund. But then the seller decided to gift the watch in a post thread random draw and Chascomm was the winner.

But before sending, I had my watchmaker, fix all issues so not to pass on any issues to Chascomm.

So, with repairs, duties/taxes, brokerage fees from Fedex week later, refund didn't cover those. This whole ordeal just sucked.

But in the end, I love the look of the watch, but felt the quality just felt cheap, and wasn't really up to par compared to the Seagull 1963, IMHO.
Tinny bracelet, plastic bezel/crystal, cyclops, just didn't do it for me.
It ran alright, kept time.

I think Thian and Chascomm could be more forthcoming with the details to the movement quality and characteristics.

I feel its a decent watch, great for any Chinese watch enthusiasts for sure.

I had some bad luck, which left a bad taste, so was a big turn off for me.

Sorry for the long winded story.

Dave

May 4th, 2011, 2:55 am #4

be the replacement I need for my departed 62MAS... Like the 1963 I find those pretty cool...

I have seen some neat 25 jewel variants posted on the WUS Chinese Watch forum which apparently has a 28800 bph calibre powering it.
to around $400usd!! Got mine from the Japan auctions...guess the seller knew someone in Shanghai. haha!

I leave it up to any owner to evaluate its inherent quality etc.....tinny? as Dave thought? perhaps....but to me, tis the historical value, more than its build quality, which makes this valuable in a collection.

May 4th, 2011, 3:35 am #5

Here's a cool one that I had briefly and later went on to Chascomm.
I haven't seen it posted during this Chinese week.

shanghai military reissue
[/IMG]
didn't I post that?

And I wore it for the best part of a week around Easter. I like it a lot and it hasn't given me any trouble.

May 4th, 2011, 3:43 am #6

nt

May 4th, 2011, 3:45 am #7

Currently it is on the bracelet because I wanted to take it swimming.

May 4th, 2011, 4:07 am #8

Initially I loved the dial/style of that cool piece, and I still do.

But I guess, as a wis, I was tainted with some bad luck & experience.
I had some trouble with my shipment, and when it finally came, by fedex, not my requested mode of shipping method by the way, it was all bashed the package.
I had requested for EMS from China, but the seller failed to ship a few times claiming problems, and after 4-5days of trying to send apparently, he shipped fedex for faster service apparently.

So I was majorly disappointed to see this all banged up on arrival. But the watch seemed ok initially until I started to inspect. Crown was wobbly, and issue with lug ends as the watch came off after wearing shortly.

I wanted an exchange but later seller and I agreed for a refund. But then the seller decided to gift the watch in a post thread random draw and Chascomm was the winner.

But before sending, I had my watchmaker, fix all issues so not to pass on any issues to Chascomm.

So, with repairs, duties/taxes, brokerage fees from Fedex week later, refund didn't cover those. This whole ordeal just sucked.

But in the end, I love the look of the watch, but felt the quality just felt cheap, and wasn't really up to par compared to the Seagull 1963, IMHO.
Tinny bracelet, plastic bezel/crystal, cyclops, just didn't do it for me.
It ran alright, kept time.

I think Thian and Chascomm could be more forthcoming with the details to the movement quality and characteristics.

I feel its a decent watch, great for any Chinese watch enthusiasts for sure.

I had some bad luck, which left a bad taste, so was a big turn off for me.

Sorry for the long winded story.

Dave
I have had awesome Alphas which have given me no trouble and I still love. I have had other Alphas which have been lemons. I will say though that Alpha HK offers exceptional customer service and that I would not hesitate to buy from them again or recommend them to others.

We also have some watchmakers who are willing and able to service Chinese watches now as well as some emerging parts sources.

Sea-Gulls are also not immune to problems or QC issues. Buggered up pushers is something that ST19 powered watches sometimes fall prey to. However, this seems to be an easy and inexpensive fix (thankfully). I had a problem with a pusher on my M192S chono and Archer watches fixed it inexpensively for me.

The M185S I have left was originally sold to Ron/Albertatime. It turns out that the day/date complication was buggered up so I sent him a new one and had that one sent down to the U.S. for some work. Now Archer Watches has regulated and dry pressure tested that one.

Contrast this to Seikos where I have yet to buy a new Seiko which gave me one headache. Even vintage Seikos have been very reliable for me; even WABI examples which should only be parts fodder. Even many of these happily run
despite the fact that it looks like a bomb went off in them...

May 4th, 2011, 4:10 am #9

Currently it is on the bracelet because I wanted to take it swimming.
I have worn a few of my departed vintage Seiko divers swimming and snorkeling including the 62MAS. They were serviced with new seals/gaskets and pressure tests first of course.

May 4th, 2011, 5:26 am #10

but I was very careful after having suffered a couple of Vostok seal failures. I don't really trust any watch. And the Shanghai doesn't have an official WR rating.