Friday in Japan, sunny....on goes the MMilitaire homage from George...

Friday in Japan, sunny....on goes the MMilitaire homage from George...

May 5th, 2011, 9:11 pm #1

Decided to pull this out and try it on again....wound it up and set the time, amazing how fast the reserve indicator climbs! Surprised me how this behemoth fits on the wrist now...24mm lug width...wore it over nite and lume not too bad, after shining my mini light on it to read the time haha! SteamAncre fixed the loose mvt screw....I like this watch! WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?

""

May 6th, 2011, 2:37 am #2

What would a week of Chinese watches be without at least one Meihualu, eh?

Meihua-what? I hear you ask...

Meihualu, named after the spotted deer native to Northern China, was the brand for watches from the Jilin Watch Factory. The most famous model being the HJ1A pocket watch:

My example is in less than original condition. The dial should be an elegant shade of silver. The lack of minute marks is the giveaway that mine has been repainted. Well that and the fact that mine is the only black dial Meihualu known to exist. Other than that, it's in decent condition (and anyway, I like the black dial).

What makes the Meihualu so special? It is (so far as I have been able to determine) the last ever original design for a mass-produced jewelled-lever pocket watch anywhere in the world. The factory in Jilin was established as part of the rollout of watch manufacturing across the provinces in the 1970s, but the Ministry had something special planned for this particular factory. Rather than merely turning out Tongji (Standard movement) watches, Jilin would be making pocket watches containing a movement that was designed in parallel with the Tongji, and almost identical to it apart from being significantly scaled up to pocket watch size. Even the jewels are bigger.

Specially selected examples of these watches were issued to the National Railways for official timekeeping purposes. Some were supplied to the military. The rest were sold to the general population. Interestingly, the Jilin watch factory also produced some wristwatches powered by the big HJ1A movement. These were unusually beefy watches for 1970s China. (Ron, that's your cue to show off your example) These are quite rare. The majority of Meihualu wristwatches are regular sized Tongji.

Returning to my assertion about the HJ1A's important place in history:
At the time (the early 1970s), there was residual pocket watch manufacturing in Switzerland, using Unitas and other archaic designs. Cheaper pocket watches used wristwatch movements, the cheapest being pin-levers. In the USSR, there was the 1930s-design Molnija (as sold to the Turkish National Railways) as well as wristwatch movement pocket watches from ZIM-Pobeda, Vostok and Raketa. Hong Kong pocket watches all used wristwatch movements. In East Germany, Ruhla pocket watches had been using wristwatch movements since 1962. The Japanese were not designing new pocket watch movements, and if Seiko were still making the old 7 jewel it would only be for Sony portable clock-radios. In Britain there was the 1898-designed Smiths PY. In China there were clones of the Smiths design, as well as ZuanShi pocket watches with the SM1A wristwatch movement. Since the 1970s, there have been many pocket watches made using wristwatch movements, both quartz and mechanical. ETA have slightly updated the old Unitas movement. Clones have been made in China, but no original designs. The rest of the recent oversized Chinese calibres have all been designed for wristwatches. No doubt there have been some Swiss haute horology makers who have done original pocket watch movement design, but none of it suitable for mass production. In fact the only other contender for last ever original mass-produced pocket-watch is an obscure model from the Jinan Watch Factory featuring a very large pin-lever movement of similar layout to the Zhongshan wristwatch. Possibly it is a small clock movement.

So there's a little bit of history for you.

And one last photo:

Last edited by Chascomm_ on May 6th, 2011, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2011, 3:04 am #3

Decided to pull this out and try it on again....wound it up and set the time, amazing how fast the reserve indicator climbs! Surprised me how this behemoth fits on the wrist now...24mm lug width...wore it over nite and lume not too bad, after shining my mini light on it to read the time haha! SteamAncre fixed the loose mvt screw....I like this watch! WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?

""
Parnis pilot. Shown here while attempting to fit a WillJ shark mesh.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan

May 6th, 2011, 3:12 am #4

I know it's only a dummy intended to replicate a minute repeater, and is entirely incidentaly to the use of this case in an aviation-themed watch, but I'm curious to know whether it actually moves. There's potential for some interesting midifications using a switch like that.

May 6th, 2011, 3:35 am #5

""
BTW I like your watch sir Blingmeister

For work

[/IMG]

and foreplay

[/IMG]

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

May 6th, 2011, 3:37 am #6

""
DG movement.

poywatch aka Boomtown
Watch Agent 007--Licensed to kill time
Education:BS WIS
University: Watch Amata U.
Fraternity: Alpha Zuan Omega

Last edited by saykobro on May 6th, 2011, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2011, 4:33 am #7

What would a week of Chinese watches be without at least one Meihualu, eh?

Meihua-what? I hear you ask...

Meihualu, named after the spotted deer native to Northern China, was the brand for watches from the Jilin Watch Factory. The most famous model being the HJ1A pocket watch:

My example is in less than original condition. The dial should be an elegant shade of silver. The lack of minute marks is the giveaway that mine has been repainted. Well that and the fact that mine is the only black dial Meihualu known to exist. Other than that, it's in decent condition (and anyway, I like the black dial).

What makes the Meihualu so special? It is (so far as I have been able to determine) the last ever original design for a mass-produced jewelled-lever pocket watch anywhere in the world. The factory in Jilin was established as part of the rollout of watch manufacturing across the provinces in the 1970s, but the Ministry had something special planned for this particular factory. Rather than merely turning out Tongji (Standard movement) watches, Jilin would be making pocket watches containing a movement that was designed in parallel with the Tongji, and almost identical to it apart from being significantly scaled up to pocket watch size. Even the jewels are bigger.

Specially selected examples of these watches were issued to the National Railways for official timekeeping purposes. Some were supplied to the military. The rest were sold to the general population. Interestingly, the Jilin watch factory also produced some wristwatches powered by the big HJ1A movement. These were unusually beefy watches for 1970s China. (Ron, that's your cue to show off your example) These are quite rare. The majority of Meihualu wristwatches are regular sized Tongji.

Returning to my assertion about the HJ1A's important place in history:
At the time (the early 1970s), there was residual pocket watch manufacturing in Switzerland, using Unitas and other archaic designs. Cheaper pocket watches used wristwatch movements, the cheapest being pin-levers. In the USSR, there was the 1930s-design Molnija (as sold to the Turkish National Railways) as well as wristwatch movement pocket watches from ZIM-Pobeda, Vostok and Raketa. Hong Kong pocket watches all used wristwatch movements. In East Germany, Ruhla pocket watches had been using wristwatch movements since 1962. The Japanese were not designing new pocket watch movements, and if Seiko were still making the old 7 jewel it would only be for Sony portable clock-radios. In Britain there was the 1898-designed Smiths PY. In China there were clones of the Smiths design, as well as ZuanShi pocket watches with the SM1A wristwatch movement. Since the 1970s, there have been many pocket watches made using wristwatch movements, both quartz and mechanical. ETA have slightly updated the old Unitas movement. Clones have been made in China, but no original designs. The rest of the recent oversized Chinese calibres have all been designed for wristwatches. No doubt there have been some Swiss haute horology makers who have done original pocket watch movement design, but none of it suitable for mass production. In fact the only other contender for last ever original mass-produced pocket-watch is an obscure model from the Jinan Watch Factory featuring a very large pin-lever movement of similar layout to the Zhongshan wristwatch. Possibly it is a small clock movement.

So there's a little bit of history for you.

And one last photo:

"These were unusually beefy watches for 1970s China. (Ron, that's your cue to show off your example)"

45mm lug to lug...

...where as my more common Meihualu is...

and the movement on the left (stage right) which is a standard movement...

AMCH/PR - Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

May 6th, 2011, 8:26 am #8

BTW I like your watch sir Blingmeister

For work

[/IMG]

and foreplay

[/IMG]

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*
for sale on WUS forum...must resist! haha!

May 6th, 2011, 9:33 am #9

""
... Chronomaster.

May 6th, 2011, 10:16 am #10

""
... join a "What Are U Wearing" post.
Thanks to the system of my new company which does not allow me access to the forum :-/

Well, since few days I am wearing light and stealth...

My Seiko 5 "Atlas" Limited Edition : black PVD Ti case and bracelet, carbon fiber dial.

Staiiff
The French Frog
"The French Connection Award" winner