Following Thian`s post ..................................... >>>

Following Thian`s post ..................................... >>>

December 19th, 2010, 4:21 pm #1

..... about sterile dials, here is another question.

If you have to choose one watch, what would you prefer as a contrasting dial factor:

black dial with white hands

... or white dial (full lume dial) with black hands?

I`m also aware of the "WIS rule no.1" ... when in doubt, buy both but in this case is just a curiosity question since the majority of my watches seems to have dark dial - black, grey, dark blue.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

December 19th, 2010, 4:48 pm #2

garbage cans or rocket thrusters ;>)

------------------------------------------

December 19th, 2010, 5:23 pm #3

..... the question was about the dial contrast and not about the watch. The pics I posted is just for example.

(...rocket thrusters.... LOL )

December 19th, 2010, 5:47 pm #4

garbage cans or rocket thrusters ;>)

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan

December 19th, 2010, 6:41 pm #5

..... the question was about the dial contrast and not about the watch. The pics I posted is just for example.

(...rocket thrusters.... LOL )

but prefer the black dial with good lume over the full lume dial for night time reading.

The amount of text on these two borders on distracting for me though.

December 19th, 2010, 9:06 pm #6

..... about sterile dials, here is another question.

If you have to choose one watch, what would you prefer as a contrasting dial factor:

black dial with white hands

... or white dial (full lume dial) with black hands?

I`m also aware of the "WIS rule no.1" ... when in doubt, buy both but in this case is just a curiosity question since the majority of my watches seems to have dark dial - black, grey, dark blue.

and light and psychology testing in neonates (babies).....
The human eye is FIRST drawn to the lightest color source in the field of vision....babies will track a moving light across its vision the fastest.

Here is another trick for you to test your own sensitivity to visual marking: squint your eyes at both dials and ask yourself which dial color/handset registers the fastest for you to recognize the time! You should find that the light hands against the dark dial will register time faster for your brain.....your eye will see the light hands and their position faster than the reverse viewing the all dial lume with black hands.....meaning....your brain will first 'see' the whole light dial, then second...see the black hands....and THEN the brain will translate the hands's position for time telling.....

So, for me, all my mil style watches have black dials with light/white lumed hands.....
When I am driving and want to snatch a fast wrist time reading from the left hand on the wheel, my eye catches the time fastest with this dark dial and light handset...even when the wrist is slightly angled.

December 19th, 2010, 9:17 pm #7

makes sense.

But going scuba diving, according to Doxa, apparently inventors of the orange dial, they claim its the best readable color dial for depth reading. I love my orange.

But your theory would prove that a black dial with white hands would still win in this situation.
Or maybe underwater that would be different and orange dial, bigger real estated reading is better still. Or, its all marketing by Doxa and their orange dial inventions. lol.

December 19th, 2010, 9:25 pm #8

changes and color desaturates ....orange color is the most visible at such depths...
....so really deep diving shows bottom fish and plant life more whitish, as light gets darker....
In fact PINK is the best visible color at deeper depths! as in my Tauchmeister pinks hands! But of course, Western masculine color conditioning refuses to allow guys to wear the color PINK!!! haha!

December 19th, 2010, 9:39 pm #9

Doxa's new claim for best viewing color is their newest turquoise color dial, the Doxa Numa.
They claim that to be better, but this could be marketing I suppose.

Pink, I'd wear pink if it suited the watch.

I suppose any of those fluorescent colors should work well in those deep conditions.
Just look at all them colored fish.

December 19th, 2010, 9:49 pm #10

Around Coral it all looks Grey and Dull,Then you shine a Halogen Torch which i take down with me on the Coral and Boom the stuff just comes to life in magnificent colour.

As for Dials underwater.Ive tried them all and my conclusion is its irrelavant the colour dial at over 50m as most divers like myself shine our torches on them to view, the same as the Oxygen Gauge which by the way always seems to be Orange Needled with a Red Section for the danger no-air left area.I always seem to be in that area for some reason when i dive and be in depths where i should not be....LoL.
In this situation its nice to be able to hold your breath a long Time.Thats where my Freediving will always step in to help.
Dont you just love apnia!!!

Theneilo uk