Finally sorted out this one...

Finally sorted out this one...

January 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm #1

This was a Ramon special that 'WILL RUN' for a few seconds then stop. Well, as it turned out; the hairspring had been damaged some time previous to my getting it.
I don't have any other 6309 balance assemblies to use(stupidly used up my one good one in a troll's watch) so I just dove in and started working on the spring. It has taken many weeks of trial and error to finally get it right. What I had been missing all along was the damage to the spring right where it comes out of the balance wheel near the staff. Once I found that and started undoing the damage; it quickly came back to a shape that works properly; ie none of the loops touch or bind during compression nor expansion.
That just left me with trying to sort out where the stud carrier should be for proper beat. This turned out to be not so big a problem as I had thought.
With the mainspring let down completely so that there was no pressure on the balance from the palette fork; I simply adjusted the stud carrier back and forth while watching the palette fork. Move it one way until the balance wheel kicks the fork then move it back until the balance kicks the fork the other way. It didn't take long to get it statically centered, which seems to have the watch running smoothly along. A timing machine would probably help to zero in the beat dynamically but for the time being it seems to be happy.

It only took a couple of tweaks of the regulator to bring in the time keeping to a little less than +10 seconds per 24 hours(monitored over a one week period).

This will do for now

The watch was 100% original when it arrived but the dial is too much of a wreck(someone tried to relume it) to be useful, so I have temporarily installed an AM 7040 dial. The hands will be getting a relume job courtesy of me. The crystal is still fairly good but Saul very kindly gave me an OEM one that will go on when I get a decent original dial. Jake B sent me a crystal retaining ring so that is also taken care of.

The bezel looks to have spent a lot of time in the sun as it has faded to a cool silver grey; and it isn't really all that badly beaten up. I may just leave this for character

I'm wearing it on a thick rubber/silicon band that Bjorn(kuma-kun) sent me from Japan. I can't believe how comfortable this strap is and I don't even notice the larger size of the 7290 case compared to my Citizen NY2300 :-O

I'm pleased with how this watch is turning out

------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ancre-Steam on January 28th, 2012, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 28th, 2012, 11:06 pm #2

well done! seems you are slowing adjusting to larger dialed watches ! hahaha!

January 28th, 2012, 11:40 pm #3

and when it's done; I will likely wear it a lot.
These watches are on the edge of what I find comfortable but Bjorn's band has made a big difference

January 28th, 2012, 11:56 pm #4

Hmmm.. So listening to Abba music helps you wear watches!! LOL

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

January 29th, 2012, 2:28 am #5

January 29th, 2012, 5:33 am #6

This was a Ramon special that 'WILL RUN' for a few seconds then stop. Well, as it turned out; the hairspring had been damaged some time previous to my getting it.
I don't have any other 6309 balance assemblies to use(stupidly used up my one good one in a troll's watch) so I just dove in and started working on the spring. It has taken many weeks of trial and error to finally get it right. What I had been missing all along was the damage to the spring right where it comes out of the balance wheel near the staff. Once I found that and started undoing the damage; it quickly came back to a shape that works properly; ie none of the loops touch or bind during compression nor expansion.
That just left me with trying to sort out where the stud carrier should be for proper beat. This turned out to be not so big a problem as I had thought.
With the mainspring let down completely so that there was no pressure on the balance from the palette fork; I simply adjusted the stud carrier back and forth while watching the palette fork. Move it one way until the balance wheel kicks the fork then move it back until the balance kicks the fork the other way. It didn't take long to get it statically centered, which seems to have the watch running smoothly along. A timing machine would probably help to zero in the beat dynamically but for the time being it seems to be happy.

It only took a couple of tweaks of the regulator to bring in the time keeping to a little less than +10 seconds per 24 hours(monitored over a one week period).

This will do for now

The watch was 100% original when it arrived but the dial is too much of a wreck(someone tried to relume it) to be useful, so I have temporarily installed an AM 7040 dial. The hands will be getting a relume job courtesy of me. The crystal is still fairly good but Saul very kindly gave me an OEM one that will go on when I get a decent original dial. Jake B sent me a crystal retaining ring so that is also taken care of.

The bezel looks to have spent a lot of time in the sun as it has faded to a cool silver grey; and it isn't really all that badly beaten up. I may just leave this for character

I'm wearing it on a thick rubber/silicon band that Bjorn(kuma-kun) sent me from Japan. I can't believe how comfortable this strap is and I don't even notice the larger size of the 7290 case compared to my Citizen NY2300 :-O

very cool, loads of character! ;) nt

January 29th, 2012, 12:07 pm #7

This will do for now

One of these days I'll have to get a 6309. Too bad my aging vision and lack of hand-eye coordination prevent me from fettling a movement. That more or less rules out Ramon and some of the other sellers on the bay.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan

January 29th, 2012, 12:09 pm #8

This will do for now

....interesting to read how you sorted out the hairspring. By 'damage' do you mean it was bent / kinked?

Stephen
Last edited by Sweephand on January 29th, 2012, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 29th, 2012, 4:51 pm #9

This will do for now

It is not an OEM but rather one of Chuck Tze's repros from about 6 years ago, but still, an excellent replacement. Good to see this restro getting closer to wrist worthiness.

January 29th, 2012, 4:51 pm #10

....interesting to read how you sorted out the hairspring. By 'damage' do you mean it was bent / kinked?

Stephen
the inner/smallest coils were bent and all crossed over.

As it turned out, it was just the first turn after it comes out of the balance wheel hub. That caused the following half dozen loops to be fouled.
Once I straightened that first bend, I could see that the rest of the coils were falling nicely back into place. After that it was fairly easy to get it into a not half bad looking configuration that had not touching or collisions when the spring was compressed.

It looks like what probably happened was that whoever last removed the balance, pulled it by the cock/bridge and the wheel didn't come loose right away; thus bending that first loop.

While this one turned out ok; I don't look forward to doing a lot of these