European Vacation ....................................... >>>>

European Vacation ....................................... >>>>

October 13th, 2011, 4:14 am #1

........... >>> All right! The title has nothing to do with the movie starring Chevy Chase.

As some of you know, I have been on a short holiday. Well, 2 weeks short. You go on a trip like this, 2 weeks is not enough. So, the intinerary was Toronto to Munich and from Munich to Timisoara. There I have met with my friend who took me further to Arad. Both, Arad and Timisoara are in the western part of Romania also know as Transylvania. Spare me with your vampire jokes

Anyway departure time at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. The plane was schedueled to leave at 20:25 but we only started boarding at 21:15. Go figure.
Pearson Airport - Terminal 1
Interesting water tank.

After getting thru the security check point, there was a long road to the boarding gate.

Weather wasn`t very nice.

Eventualy the Air Canada plane took off and it landed in Munich about 8 1/2 hours later around 10:00 local time . Wonderful sunny day.

My connecting flight to Timisoara was about 3 1/2 hours later so I had all the time to explore the Munich International Airport. Very nice, very organized and very clean.

The flight from Munich to Timisoara only took one hour with a Lufthansa AirBus. Once in Timisoara, I was picked up by my friend and he drove north for about 45 minutes till we reached Arad. My Mother was more than happy to finaly see me again after 6 years.

Even tho I told her NOT to cook, she didn`t listen. She never does ...

Some street shots...

This is one way to adverize...

Eventualy, managed to pull together the old gang for some BBQ. Now, when I say BBQ I don`t mean steak or sausages...

The BBQ ....

....a bit of a fire starter ....

.... e voila!

The food is getting ready and while my friend is dealing with the beacon, someone is watching closely .... very closely....

Eventualy the food is all prepared and ready to go. And the charcoal is just perfect for that.

Even tho that`s a Citizen Blue Angels, but that`s not me doing the cooking.

OK, some of the food is ready. Just in time, we are all starving!

By the time we were all done, it was dark outside

The next day, we decided to take a walk by the Mures river shore. Mures is a river that comes out of the Carpathian Mountains and literaly "cuts" Arad in 2 halfs before continuing its course across the border into Hungary.

The water lever is very low. In some areas you can cross the river to the other side and the wather wouldn`t get past your waist line.

The building in the background is a hotel... Park Hotel. We`ll get there too..

The river`s shore is "littered" with all kinds of bars and patios.

OK, lets just quickly look back where we started from...

And some scenary...

This building is (still) a rowing club. I started there when I was 15... memories....

And here we are at the Park Hotel. This time much closer.

By the end of this little trip, it was already dark outside. So, we decided to walk back home thru the downtown core.

This building is the local theater.

Catholic church...

Street scenes

City Hall. Honestly, I was amaized about the nice job they did with the lights.

Oh yeah! i was there too ...

But, unfortunately, just like all good things, this one came to an end. Time to say Good Bye to my Mom and head out

Just like 2 weeks earlier, my friend took me back to the airport. Once there, I quickly checked my flight status. I had 2 more hours to kill till my flight to Munich would leave

Eventualy, that time was up and here I was at the boarding gate

The bus took us to the airplane

One hour later I foound myself in the same Munich airport .... strange sense of Deja-Vu. However, it was time to feed myself so I had to look for same food.

After that, lets check out the butiques, duty free shops and other stores.

And, I saved the best for the last. Theat`s the place I ended getting my Swatch

And again, just like before, time to get on the plane and had back to Toronto.

Landed OK.

Okey dokey..... that`s all. Didn`t I tell you this post will take some time to get thru???? Well, I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks for watching

I don`t make things. I make things better !

October 13th, 2011, 4:29 am #2

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Les

Arad is a beautiful city and it looked like you had perfect weather.
Loved the old fashion style BBQ...I think they make better flavoured foods than propane or natural gas and definitely better than briquettes.

Thian is going to have a hey day with some of your pictures and montages!

------------------------------------------

October 13th, 2011, 7:46 am #3

........... >>> All right! The title has nothing to do with the movie starring Chevy Chase.

As some of you know, I have been on a short holiday. Well, 2 weeks short. You go on a trip like this, 2 weeks is not enough. So, the intinerary was Toronto to Munich and from Munich to Timisoara. There I have met with my friend who took me further to Arad. Both, Arad and Timisoara are in the western part of Romania also know as Transylvania. Spare me with your vampire jokes

Anyway departure time at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. The plane was schedueled to leave at 20:25 but we only started boarding at 21:15. Go figure.
Interesting water tank.

After getting thru the security check point, there was a long road to the boarding gate.

Eventualy the Air Canada plane took off and it landed in Munich about 8 1/2 hours later around 10:00 local time . Wonderful sunny day.

My connecting flight to Timisoara was about 3 1/2 hours later so I had all the time to explore the Munich International Airport. Very nice, very organized and very clean.

The flight from Munich to Timisoara only took one hour with a Lufthansa AirBus. Once in Timisoara, I was picked up by my friend and he drove north for about 45 minutes till we reached Arad. My Mother was more than happy to finaly see me again after 6 years.

Some street shots...

Eventualy, managed to pull together the old gang for some BBQ. Now, when I say BBQ I don`t mean steak or sausages...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

The food is getting ready and while my friend is dealing with the beacon, someone is watching closely .... very closely....

Eventualy the food is all prepared and ready to go. And the charcoal is just perfect for that.

The next day, we decided to take a walk by the Mures river shore. Mures is a river that comes out of the Carpathian Mountains and literaly "cuts" Arad in 2 halfs before continuing its course across the border into Hungary.

The water lever is very low. In some areas you can cross the river to the other side and the wather wouldn`t get past your waist line.

And some scenary...

This building is (still) a rowing club. I started there when I was 15... memories....

By the end of this little trip, it was already dark outside. So, we decided to walk back home thru the downtown core.

Catholic church...

Street scenes

But, unfortunately, just like all good things, this one came to an end. Time to say Good Bye to my Mom and head out

Just like 2 weeks earlier, my friend took me back to the airport. Once there, I quickly checked my flight status. I had 2 more hours to kill till my flight to Munich would leave

One hour later I foound myself in the same Munich airport .... strange sense of Deja-Vu. However, it was time to feed myself so I had to look for same food.

Landed OK.

Okey dokey..... that`s all. Didn`t I tell you this post will take some time to get thru???? Well, I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks for watching

nt

October 13th, 2011, 3:13 pm #4

Interesting water tank.

Some street shots...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

And some scenary...

Catholic church...

Street scenes

Landed OK.

Thanks for watching

Foarte interesant! (= very interesting)

October 13th, 2011, 3:39 pm #5

Interesting water tank.

Some street shots...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

And some scenary...

Catholic church...

Street scenes

Landed OK.

Thanks for watching

October 13th, 2011, 5:15 pm #6

Interesting water tank.

Some street shots...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

And some scenary...

Catholic church...

Street scenes

Landed OK.

Thanks for watching

Looks like a a great vacay.

Home cooked meals, bbq with family/friends, old country, charming city, & Mom, whats not to love?

Thanks for sharing.
Dave

October 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm #7

Interesting water tank.

Some street shots...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

And some scenary...

Catholic church...

Street scenes

Landed OK.

Thanks for watching

October 14th, 2011, 12:24 am #8

Interesting water tank.

Some street shots...

The BBQ ....

.... e voila!

And some scenary...

Catholic church...

Street scenes

Landed OK.

Thanks for watching

vreau mici diseara la cina...

October 14th, 2011, 1:39 am #9

............ >>>> ca tot la aia ma gindesc de cind am plecat de acolo... LOL

October 14th, 2011, 2:03 am #10

but that's ok, I work in an office with about 35 Romanian engineers...one of them will help me out

------------------------------------------