Disturbingly cheap auto "chronograph"

Disturbingly cheap auto "chronograph"

December 30th, 2011, 4:14 pm #1

Random ad popping up on eBay lead me to this (I hope the active auction link is not a no-no as there are multiples and it is BIN):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wrist-Leath ... 6692167738

It's a bit busy and not my usual cup of tea but for the price I am just fascinated as to what the quality could be. One assumes it must be a Chinese movement but I didn't think there were any cheap enough to allow production of mechanical chronograph at this price. The registers appear to be day of the week at 9:00 and day of the month at 3:00 but the 6:00 register is 24 hr. A bit useless as a chronograph, 30min would have been more logical (eg:6139). Of course I am assuming that the sweep is a proper 60 second chrono and is tied to the 24hr register.

Thoughts?

December 30th, 2011, 5:27 pm #2

I have previously purchased an "ana-digi" by the same maker, "ESS". Not bad for a cheap quartz.

I would say...go for it...then tell us how great your "$25" automatic chronograph really is....

If nothing else, judging by the size of the case..you'll get $25 worth of stainless steel

December 30th, 2011, 7:21 pm #3

Random ad popping up on eBay lead me to this (I hope the active auction link is not a no-no as there are multiples and it is BIN):

It's a bit busy and not my usual cup of tea but for the price I am just fascinated as to what the quality could be. One assumes it must be a Chinese movement but I didn't think there were any cheap enough to allow production of mechanical chronograph at this price. The registers appear to be day of the week at 9:00 and day of the month at 3:00 but the 6:00 register is 24 hr. A bit useless as a chronograph, 30min would have been more logical (eg:6139). Of course I am assuming that the sweep is a proper 60 second chrono and is tied to the 24hr register.

Thoughts?

a chronograph at all, but a "multi-function" watch. The buttons advance the day and date. The sweep hand is a normal seconds hand, and the 24 hour subdial at 6 is essentially an AM-PM indicator.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan

December 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm #4

I never even would have thought AM/PM but then again I have never bought a faux chrono. I think of AM/PM indicators as being useful rotating rings (internal or external) on GMT watches so you know at a glance if someone in a different tz is awake or not. This type of AM/PM is as useful as the proverbial teats on a bull.

December 30th, 2011, 8:27 pm #5

............. >>>> the markings on the subdials indicates like there would be cronograph function but that`s not the case. Take a look at this Alpha Multifunction I used to have:

Essentialy that is a similar movement with the same functions its just differently positioned inside the case. The fact that the watch doesn`t show the date, its irelevant .The movement may have the date function but in this case the manufacturer/assembler probably decided not to cut the date opening in the dial

I don`t make things. I make things better !

December 30th, 2011, 10:32 pm #6

Hi. Have had one similar some time ago. It went ok on my sons wrist for longer than most of the ones he gets. Destroys them all within months. The moonphase from the same seller looks interesting, don,t know if it is real. Looking through the sellers feedback is interesting. Shipping is lengthy and his skeleton watch seems to be crap that breaks after 2 days. Cheers Phil

December 30th, 2011, 10:41 pm #7

a chronograph at all, but a "multi-function" watch. The buttons advance the day and date. The sweep hand is a normal seconds hand, and the 24 hour subdial at 6 is essentially an AM-PM indicator.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan
(Must have been a "Senior Moment")...I should have caught that, as I have an ALPHA "Speedmaster" homage, which is also an automatic multi-function watch. The sweep is continuous and the pushers control the sub dials for the date, etc.
Here's a pic of my ALPHA:

Thanks for catching the error on my part.

Last edited by clavin3389 on December 30th, 2011, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2011, 12:25 am #8

Thoughts?

can be bought for about $90 from Sea-Gull which is an incredible price for a new, mechanical chronograph movement.