Archer Watches strikes again! King Quartz back from service...

Archer Watches strikes again! King Quartz back from service...

May 26th, 2010, 1:03 am #1

This is one I picked up off the SCTF a number of years ago. The day/date never worked properly; but the seller disclosed this fact. I set the time and wore it from time to time with the hope that one day I would find a watchmaker who serviced quartz movements.

Well, I come to meet Al and Archer Watches and in addition to my Tudor handwind Al serviced this King Quartz for me. Not only is it working 100% correctly with the quick sets setting properly.. but...

Check out the cool hack feature it has!
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Z ... Quartz.flv

As you can see from the video Al made the KQ automatically hacks to the next 10 second mark when it is hacked! How cool is that?

Al sent me a PDF of the entire service and I am taking screen shots with my camera to share with you.
Last edited by Zoodles95 on May 26th, 2010, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2010, 1:08 am #2

el primo working order....and no need to ship OUTSIDE of Canada! haha! good on Al!!

May 26th, 2010, 1:32 am #3

one/two at a time to get the up to snuff. Randall restored the 1964 Seikomatic and I have 3 1940s Seikos which are out for some TLC.

The Tudor is back and instead of running -138 secs per day Al has it running about +35 secs per day which is amazing for a 58 year old watch! Again, this service is in a PDF so I will have to take a lot of screen shots to share it with you.

Here is the KQ in pieces!

and...

All put together and connected to Archer's Timing machine which is also powering the watch:

Al can test the watch by varying the voltage to see when the watch will act erractically or do a two second jump etc.

May 26th, 2010, 2:15 am #4

This is one I picked up off the SCTF a number of years ago. The day/date never worked properly; but the seller disclosed this fact. I set the time and wore it from time to time with the hope that one day I would find a watchmaker who serviced quartz movements.

Well, I come to meet Al and Archer Watches and in addition to my Tudor handwind Al serviced this King Quartz for me. Not only is it working 100% correctly with the quick sets setting properly.. but...

As you can see from the video Al made the KQ automatically hacks to the next 10 second mark when it is hacked! How cool is that?

Al sent me a PDF of the entire service and I am taking screen shots with my camera to share with you.
I don't understand why, to the closes ten. Whats the purpose. I do think its very cool, just want to know the value or purpose.
Or are such hacks or complications done by watch design for uniqueness or function?
Very nice Mark, another classy one for the herd.

Dave.

May 26th, 2010, 4:04 am #5

After 1 straight week of wearing it and running perfect it started losing 5 minutes a day 2 days ago. The second hand is not jumping so it probably isn't the battery, but I am hoping that is all it is. It has never been opened as the red stripe is still in place. I am sad. It had become a wearing favorite.

Boomtown

May 26th, 2010, 4:05 am #6

like that...

Let us know how it turns out.

May 26th, 2010, 4:10 am #7

After 1 straight week of wearing it and running perfect it started losing 5 minutes a day 2 days ago. The second hand is not jumping so it probably isn't the battery, but I am hoping that is all it is. It has never been opened as the red stripe is still in place. I am sad. It had become a wearing favorite.

Boomtown
or did you have your shirt off and scared it?

------------------------------------------

May 26th, 2010, 4:10 am #8

I don't understand why, to the closes ten. Whats the purpose. I do think its very cool, just want to know the value or purpose.
Or are such hacks or complications done by watch design for uniqueness or function?
Very nice Mark, another classy one for the herd.

Dave.
actual historical reason for the hacking feature, but I once read that hacking was a military purposed feature for timing mil operations. Maybe it just then became a feature some watch companies continued to add.
To this day, Seiko lovers enjoy the new 6R15 movement for its handwinding and hacking functions!
As for why no display back on such vintage watches with European detailed movements, perhaps it is just the Euro mentality or intrinsic sensibility of the craft of horology- form and function balanced in the mind and hands of the artist/craftsman...?

May 26th, 2010, 4:15 am #9

like that...

Let us know how it turns out.
thing happen to a Seiko quartz model vintage and my watchmaker said it was either the coil or servicing. If the coil, forget it since Seiko did not stock such vintage parts. Luckily the watch returned working fine! No coil prob.....
The telltale sign for servicing prob was the seconds hand twitching but not advancing...
Hope your AT just needs general servicing....

May 26th, 2010, 6:36 pm #10

Boomtown
immaculate and needed no cleaning and all parts were in like new shape. The battery tested o.k., but he put a new one in while it was open. What do you think the problem was?? He fixed the problem. Wonder what it was? Put some silicone on the gasket and put it back together working fine...we hope. Guess what took him the longest time? Yep, you got it, blowing off and lightly brushing the dial and crystal about 5 times to remove all bits of debris of any type from it due to that ultra shiny black dial. Any little speck can and will show on a shiny black dial if you are not meticulous in the reassembly. So what do you think the problem was????

Boomtown