Apple's NANO watch review...who's gonna buy one?....

Apple's NANO watch review...who's gonna buy one?....

November 18th, 2010, 10:04 pm #1

interesting but not for me yet..hahaha

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/ipod ... s-a-watch/

November 19th, 2010, 5:01 am #2

With a multifunction touchscreen device on your wrist, you should expect to see a lot more flexible time-related function that takes you beyond the confines of the hard-coding of your Casio.

For example...

- World time by rotating globe simulation.

- Multi-lever astronomical calendar; position and phase of moon, planetary orbits for inner and outer planets,Earth orbit showing season, perihelion, aphelion, etc.

- Daily schedule on a dial i.e. when you get to work/school, flip to schedule time and see your working day apportioned over a single turn of the dial. Essentially this is like a countdown timer with multiple intermediate event markers.

or some more playful ideas for those on a more relaxed schedule...

- one week dial; showing just the days and maybe markers for quarter days.
- sun and moon; showing a horizon from which the sun rises and then sets, followed by the moon doing the same, no hour markers.

and my favorite...

- tells the time in text exactly as you would say it if asked, with adjustable levels of precision e.g. if the highest setting says '23:47:19', then the next says '11:47 PM', and the next 'Eleven Forty-seven' after that 'Thirteen minutes to Midnight' and the lowest level would be 'About a Quarter to Midnight'. You just set the one that suits you. And you can program in things like 'Tea Time' to display for a set duration.

This is the kind of thing that I expect to see on an iPod for the wrist. Anything less is simply not worth the bother.

November 19th, 2010, 11:59 am #3

........ saw them in the store a few months ago and as soon as I started playing with it, it occured to me to put it on a strap.... hahaha

Wouldn`t be a bad idea but the thing is not realy water proof since there is a hole on top of it for the ear phone jack. Wearing it on the wrist would just expose it to dirt, dust and water/moisture.

Othervise, it would be a cool idea.... but then if you want a watch with MP3 you can always choose those made in China. You can get one for less the price of on iPod Nano, some are touch screen and at lest they were designed to be on the wrist.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

November 19th, 2010, 12:05 pm #4

and as the review mentioned, the watch aspect has been ignored. I can see something like your new Timex, leslie, but with the futuristic features Chascomm mentioned. Startrekish...voice activated etc...haha!

November 20th, 2010, 4:50 am #5

Especially if it was linked to a verbal time signal. If it was programmed to recognize various requests like "What's the time?", "Can you please tell me the time?", "Have you got the time?", etc, the watch could answer you.

So a stranger approaches you in the street and asks for the time and you don't even need to say anything. The watch does it for you. How cool is that?

November 20th, 2010, 7:13 am #6

are doing amazing things with robots. I have seen some TV documentaries on this from the Osaka university IT faulty. Robots are being made for housework such as vacuuming the floors, for building receptionists (robots whose appearance is very life-like to a female. These basic prototypes can understand basic questions and answer you, with life-like facial gestures!
SO, a wristwatch with built in special software is realizeable!!! Only thing is the cost and consumer demand.....

November 20th, 2010, 8:13 am #7

link...over 200 replies on suggestions ....http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/how- ... /#comments

November 20th, 2010, 11:49 am #8

are doing amazing things with robots. I have seen some TV documentaries on this from the Osaka university IT faulty. Robots are being made for housework such as vacuuming the floors, for building receptionists (robots whose appearance is very life-like to a female. These basic prototypes can understand basic questions and answer you, with life-like facial gestures!
SO, a wristwatch with built in special software is realizeable!!! Only thing is the cost and consumer demand.....
.............but it would be an over-kill for a watch. Imagine your watch with a facial expression ???? How about a watch with an atitude??? LOL hahaha
You ask "what`s the time?" and the watch replies "Who cares?"...

November 20th, 2010, 11:53 am #9

Especially if it was linked to a verbal time signal. If it was programmed to recognize various requests like "What's the time?", "Can you please tell me the time?", "Have you got the time?", etc, the watch could answer you.

So a stranger approaches you in the street and asks for the time and you don't even need to say anything. The watch does it for you. How cool is that?
......... "So a stranger approaches you in the street and asks for the time and you don't even need to say anything. The watch does it for you. How cool is that?"

I had starngers approach me before to ask about the time and all I had to do just show them the watch....

November 20th, 2010, 11:54 am #10

.............but it would be an over-kill for a watch. Imagine your watch with a facial expression ???? How about a watch with an atitude??? LOL hahaha
You ask "what`s the time?" and the watch replies "Who cares?"...

AI (artificial intelligence), so we may one day have a multifunctioning wrist pad with Attitude! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!