An interesting discovery about early kinetics...

An interesting discovery about early kinetics...

November 13th, 2010, 5:07 pm #1

I was looking through the spec sheets on some of the early kinetics and discovered that while the 5M2x series movements could charge and hold 72 hours worth of juice; the slightly newer 5M4x series can actually be charged up for a full 7 days worth!

The manual explains that even though the 30 second/full charge indication will show at the 72 hour point; an additional 4 days can be added to the charge. The manual even gives the number of rotations of the rotor needed to achieve this charge.

Being the inquisitive type, I took one of my 5M42 models and charged it up while watching a couple of hours of tv.

Today, it has been running for just about 5 1/2 days and the second hand now shows a 20 second charge...looks like this old capacitor is still good for a full 7 day charge

This discovery means that it is possible to wear these watches one day a week and not have to reset them!

I still don't like the 'battery' models since allowing them to discharge will shorten their useful life if not killing them outright

------------------------------------------

November 13th, 2010, 7:37 pm #2

My 5M45 not so lucky. Well its capable of 7 day charge, but was only giving me almost 2 days.
Its off with Seiko for an upgrade. Takes forever with Seiko.
I do read alot of cases where old kinetics still working properly even after neglect. And yet others just die and need new capacitors. Perhaps luck of the draw.
But nice yours is still good after so many years.

November 13th, 2010, 9:05 pm #3

she never wore it but wanted it! gold plated lumed dial Age of America edition.....one day a few weeks ago, she wore it teaching and it was working on her wrist!

November 13th, 2010, 9:11 pm #4

I was looking through the spec sheets on some of the early kinetics and discovered that while the 5M2x series movements could charge and hold 72 hours worth of juice; the slightly newer 5M4x series can actually be charged up for a full 7 days worth!

The manual explains that even though the 30 second/full charge indication will show at the 72 hour point; an additional 4 days can be added to the charge. The manual even gives the number of rotations of the rotor needed to achieve this charge.

Being the inquisitive type, I took one of my 5M42 models and charged it up while watching a couple of hours of tv.

Today, it has been running for just about 5 1/2 days and the second hand now shows a 20 second charge...looks like this old capacitor is still good for a full 7 day charge

This discovery means that it is possible to wear these watches one day a week and not have to reset them!

I still don't like the 'battery' models since allowing them to discharge will shorten their useful life if not killing them outright

nice to be abandoned....Air diver rated 200m and ti.....

[/IMG]

November 14th, 2010, 2:00 am #5

not sure about the bracelet, maybe it wears nicer. hehe.
Couldn't you get Seiko to upgrade this or replace the capacitor?
I read many do the swap easily, but I'm getting Seiko to do it.
Very unique hands and look of this one.

November 14th, 2010, 4:50 am #6

The prob is that is is dedicated. But, i did experiment modding a leather strap and it looked great.
I love this watch for all it is, so it has remained one of the few Seiko divers in the kit.
I will,at some point, send it in to Seiko, Osaka to upgrade and then force wearing it more often to keep it charged! haha!
The Leganza line was Seiko's higher tier expensive fancier line. This particular watch sold for 75,000yen! back in 1997.

November 14th, 2010, 5:03 am #7

Definitely unique and fancy. Kinda reminds me of Alpinists.
Hi price tag for '97.
Never seen any of those around. Just as scarce as the Landtrek.
You should get it back on the rotation. With a new cap, they are 6month power reserve so even a biweekly rotation is ok. Between the X-33^2,Landtrek,Tsunami,new 6309 hogging top spot, others will get some love hopefully. lol.

November 14th, 2010, 2:04 pm #8

.......... very 1st Seiko Kinetic 5M42. I bought it in 1996 or 1997. It had a 7 days + charge capability with 30 seconds X 2 full charge indicator.

Ran fine for about 5 years and after that the charge started dropping. It was my 24-7 watch so I rarely took it off my wrist. The charge started dropping until the watch was showing "low charge" (second hand jumping every 2 seconds) for weeks. It wouldn`t stop cuz I was still wearing it so it was getting charged. But then, eventualy it stoped...

I put it aside for years. I even forgot about it when one day, I found its box and that`s what reminded me that I have a Seiko Kinetic. So, I took it to a shop and I was todl that they have to send in (to Seiko) all the kinetics. Didn`t realize at the time, but apparantly the 5M42 had a recall on them. Weeks passed by and eventualy I got a call that my watch is back from Seiko Canada and it ready for pick up.

The reapair wasn`t cheap... it included the replacement of the faulty capacitor with the new one, and a complete tune up of the entire movement, new seals, etc. It was needed since I used this watch for evetrhing: workshop, swimming, showers... you name it.

The new capacitor holds a 6 months charge, therefore I can afford to just wear this Seiko once a month for about 1 week. And its accuracy is better than it was when I bought the watch. Off wrist is under 4 seconds a month. Now, the watch enjoys a Happy Retirement with occasional use and even tho it`s rated 50 Meters, no more swimming or showers for this baby.

Thanks for reading

I don`t make things. I make things better !

November 14th, 2010, 3:49 pm #9

Since it has the day feature, it must be a 5M43

It's too bad that Seiko chose to rip people off with these cell replacements and 'tune ups'.

The replacement cells are available for $12 to $20 and are no more complicated to replace than most regular batteries.

Apart from new seals, the only tune up that can be performed is a disassembly, cleaning and lubrication. None of the electronics are adjustable as these are pretty pedestrian quartz modules.

Keep that battery topped up or you'll be replacing it too

November 14th, 2010, 7:02 pm #10

.... its a 5M43 and like I said, I`m keeping it moving/charged!
By tune up I meant EVERYTHING you just mentioned: complete disassambly, clean up, and apparantly they re-polished the tip of the pivots too. I remember that since it was on the invoice.
When I said it wasn`t cheap, I realy meant it. For that cash, I could have bought a new one off one of the forums and have had some cash left over. But in 2003 I wasn`t so much into forums and the newer kinetics for that time, were selling for over $275 in the retail stores...
That`s why this will be the last watch to go. I had it for the longest and it cost me $345 brand new (back then) and then years later the tune-up and capacitor change would cost me another $148. That is a lot a cash for just one watch. Now, should I decide to sell it, wouldn`t get more that $70 ....

I don`t make things. I make things better !