a week of (slightly) Japanese watches...

a week of (slightly) Japanese watches...

January 13th, 2012, 1:52 am #1

The theme for the week on my wrist was 'Japan'.  This is a bit of challenge given that I've never really got into Japanese watches (yet).  So as the week progresses, the connection to Japan gets more obscure.

Monday:  Seiko SKX023

My proper Japanese watch

Tuesday: Q&Q 2604

Japanese parts assembled in the Republic of Korea

Wednesday: Allwyn Y381

Made in India with A6319 movement supplied by Seiko

Thursday: HMT Pilot

Made in India from a licensed Japanese Citizen design

Friday: Qreini SK

A cheap clone of the Japanese Orient SK made in Hong Kong with a Soviet Slava movement

So as you can see, by the end of the week, I'd exhausted all my Japanese connections.

Maybe this year I'll find some more Japanese watches to expand the collection; perhaps a Tomony or a Ricoh or a Urika.

January 13th, 2012, 3:14 am #2

your choice of ones to collect is eclectic and I know there are good examples out there.

Urika has always intrigued me. I'm tempted to grab one of Ramon's movement lots that has Ricoh and Urika calibres.
Just taking them apart should be educational and worth the price of the lot

Wasn't Tomony a Seiko product; a mid size watch with the 50xx series movements?

------------------------------------------

January 13th, 2012, 3:34 am #3

There is so much written about the mainstream of Japanese watchmaking, but there was this other level of lower-grade watchmaking that nobody talks about.  And the fact that there is a connection with a big player like Seiko makes it all the more intriguing.

The 50xx series base calibre has little (if anything) in common with other Seiko designs, so it is my belief that Hamazawa Ltd designed it themselves, in partnership with Seiko (in order to use the Magic Lever system on the auto-winding models).  I'd love to find some hard evidence to prove it.  Even better would be if the connection between the 50xx and Premier Precision 26xx (e.g. in my Q&Q) could be proven.  Apart from the autowinding mechanism and the substitution of plastic parts, it appears to be the same design.

January 13th, 2012, 3:53 am #4

I remember someone on the SCWF(old one I think) who posted a Tomony. I want to say petew but may be wrong.

------------------------------------------

January 13th, 2012, 3:58 am #5

There is so much written about the mainstream of Japanese watchmaking, but there was this other level of lower-grade watchmaking that nobody talks about.  And the fact that there is a connection with a big player like Seiko makes it all the more intriguing.

The 50xx series base calibre has little (if anything) in common with other Seiko designs, so it is my belief that Hamazawa Ltd designed it themselves, in partnership with Seiko (in order to use the Magic Lever system on the auto-winding models).  I'd love to find some hard evidence to prove it.  Even better would be if the connection between the 50xx and Premier Precision 26xx (e.g. in my Q&Q) could be proven.  Apart from the autowinding mechanism and the substitution of plastic parts, it appears to be the same design.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/does-a ... 39758.html

January 13th, 2012, 4:29 am #6

Hi. I have a couple of Urika Autos in one of the watch boxes. Just looked under the hood of both - nothing special in there. In fact evidence of some cost cutting. Despite this and their age both are runners.Original Oyster bracelet on one,Original Jubilee bracelet on the other and both in vg condition. Movement numbers appear to be 5021-0010 and 5021-0050 from Oct 1974 and December 1974. Dating system appears to be same as Seiko system.

There are more than a dozen Ricoh in the same box. Many of these appear to be at least Seiko 5 quality range.

Cheers Phil

January 13th, 2012, 5:42 am #7

There's just not enough information out there about these watches.

January 13th, 2012, 6:36 am #8

The theme for the week on my wrist was 'Japan'.  This is a bit of challenge given that I've never really got into Japanese watches (yet).  So as the week progresses, the connection to Japan gets more obscure.

Monday:  Seiko SKX023

My proper Japanese watch

Tuesday: Q&Q 2604

Japanese parts assembled in the Republic of Korea

Wednesday: Allwyn Y381

Made in India with A6319 movement supplied by Seiko

Thursday: HMT Pilot

Made in India from a licensed Japanese Citizen design

Friday: Qreini SK

A cheap clone of the Japanese Orient SK made in Hong Kong with a Soviet Slava movement

So as you can see, by the end of the week, I'd exhausted all my Japanese connections.

Maybe this year I'll find some more Japanese watches to expand the collection; perhaps a Tomony or a Ricoh or a Urika.
Have this one on the way..

sellers pic..

My research suggests it may have one of these two movements inside..

The first one is Swiss ESA..

http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/type/ ... ce/esa.php

or

The second is same as the Citizen Cosmotron..

http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/type/ ... avelle.php

Citizen Cosmotron pic for comparison..

pic from yorkiesnob on SCWF

On top of that, one of my old handwinding Orients has what looks to be a German movement with Orient labelling..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

January 13th, 2012, 7:27 am #9

that I haven't found that ESA movement in my parts box.

Here's hoping that the Caravelle has the Cosmotron movement just for the variety.  And it makes for an interesting chapter in the joint history of Citizen and Bulova.
Last edited by Chascomm_ on January 13th, 2012, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2012, 7:30 am #10

Hi. I have a couple of Urika Autos in one of the watch boxes. Just looked under the hood of both - nothing special in there. In fact evidence of some cost cutting. Despite this and their age both are runners.Original Oyster bracelet on one,Original Jubilee bracelet on the other and both in vg condition. Movement numbers appear to be 5021-0010 and 5021-0050 from Oct 1974 and December 1974. Dating system appears to be same as Seiko system.

There are more than a dozen Ricoh in the same box. Many of these appear to be at least Seiko 5 quality range.

Cheers Phil
I take it both examples are signed Hamazawa Ltd?