A quick question: do we really need and use the functions on the watches that we choose?>

A quick question: do we really need and use the functions on the watches that we choose?>

December 17th, 2010, 2:29 am #1

Why do we desire these functions? Are we looking for a certain "look"? Do we like the look of multi-sub-dials? For example how many of us dive and how often; how many of us time sports events and how often; how many of us race anything; how many of us travel to other timezones and how often? What prompted this reflection is Rene's~ interest in a dual timezone watch. Just curious as to how often you travel out of your timezone, Rene~? I am not trying to be a pita as I ask myself the same questions before buying a watch. George, how many functions do you and I use on our Gulfman Casios? I have used the chronograph only so far. I don't dive more than about 10'. I will use the alarm probably. Just born curious I guess.

Boomtown

December 17th, 2010, 2:42 am #2

actually when it comes right down to it......... I simply like the look of the various complications but rarely if ever do I use them! As to a Dual time watch..... I only wanted it cuz it looks cool and I can use it to keep track of another time zone such as if I want to E-mail someone etc.. that way I know what time it is there!
The only Dual function watch I have that I actually do use most of the functions on is my Tissot T- Touch! I use the Altimeter, Barometer, Alarm and compass! Rarely if ever do I use it or any other watch to time something! The Temp. feature is pretty much useless as it reads your body temp unless you sit the watch somewhere and wait for it to register the o/s temp.

December 17th, 2010, 3:28 am #3

Why do we desire these functions? Are we looking for a certain "look"? Do we like the look of multi-sub-dials? For example how many of us dive and how often; how many of us time sports events and how often; how many of us race anything; how many of us travel to other timezones and how often? What prompted this reflection is Rene's~ interest in a dual timezone watch. Just curious as to how often you travel out of your timezone, Rene~? I am not trying to be a pita as I ask myself the same questions before buying a watch. George, how many functions do you and I use on our Gulfman Casios? I have used the chronograph only so far. I don't dive more than about 10'. I will use the alarm probably. Just born curious I guess.

Boomtown

my watches have other than PR on my kinetics.

The chronos are just for looks. It wouldn't really even bother me if the sub dials had glued on hands if they looked good

------------------------------------------

December 17th, 2010, 4:18 am #4

Boomtown

99% of us buy for looks, design...as buying watches now is purely really a fashion kinda think IMO. For instance, I have this mil Sub subconsious image of a watch....so most of mine tend to reflect this in the dial.

Like Rene, my PRG 80 was used only for the barometer function. My Gs were for looks only too, never needing all those multifunctions....even my Omega X-33s never get manipulated for their multi-functions.

December 17th, 2010, 4:19 am #5

Boomtown

Boomtown

December 17th, 2010, 5:18 am #6

Boomtown

thus the number of World Time watches I have.. The occasional diver as with the travel, I want to learn to dive.. Have tried snorkeling so far..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

December 17th, 2010, 6:45 am #7

Boomtown

I remember some loving the Citizen 2100 complication watches....

For those priced over $2000 and up, the beauty factor takes over. Some WISs love seeing the inner workings and intracacies of movements...not me....hehehe!

December 17th, 2010, 10:24 am #8

Boomtown

Especially on my Aqualands when i dive as it logs up to 30 dives,Apart from that im like Peter,i very rarely use all the other functions on my watches and yes its all down to looks and the size of the watch for me.

Theneilo uk

December 17th, 2010, 4:22 pm #9

Boomtown

Interesting idea, I have the 'reverse' rule - if the watch has certain functions I MUST know how to use them

I almost never use a chronograph (which explains why I am not a big fan) but I am a huge fan of day/date models and I am ultra-happy with perpetual calendars and high-accuracy models! I sometimes use a second timezone and alarms (which explains why I always travel on long distances with at least 3 watches of which one caliber 9000). And I hope that in 2011 I will again go diving

December 17th, 2010, 6:01 pm #10

Boomtown

I do like my Seagull '63 chrono for BBQ duty but sometimes just use the bezel on a diver to mark the time. The diver bezel is good for parking meters as well. I still love the looks of a Speedmaster but would never really use one as intended. Other than day/date complications, I only have 3 I can think of that have more. The '63 chrono, Steampunk Frogman and a power reserve Orient Star Somes.

Quality comes with time.