Will
Stingray
Stingray

May 2nd, 2009, 1:48 pm #11

Puff, How does one make a 1 gallon nano?
P0RN!!!

puffcrusader696
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

May 3rd, 2009, 1:10 am #12

different completely... it can't sting and isnt as mobile if at all
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth
Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

Verse 34k
Kohaku Koi
Kohaku Koi

May 3rd, 2009, 1:16 am #13

puffcrusader696 wrote:different completely... it can't sting and isnt as mobile if at all
Interesting... are they easy to care for?

puffcrusader696
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

May 3rd, 2009, 2:37 am #14

relatively... they require some special food like this coral mania stuff or "crap" as I call it... its $15 for like a month's worth which is not worth it lol. I prefer to make my own by putting bloodworms, krill, marine flake food, tubifex worms, and spirulina brine shrimp in a blender and blending the crap out of it. Then when its really fine (when you pour it little cracks develope from compacting under its own weight) I measure out 1/2 teaspoon per 50 gallons (more or less for heavy stock or low stock reefs). And then all the regular additives like calcium (really really important for growth of all corals) and iodine and the regular phytoplankton additives and what not. It really makes everything open up :D
My reef is my expression... its a mixed bag of a bit of everthing with no clear theme all including mood swings, many odd quirks, nooks, crannies, and the best part: growth
Questions about saltwater? Wanna set up an amazing reef display and want to do it right? Just ask!

puffcrusader696
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

May 3rd, 2009, 4:46 pm #15

Tail3736 wrote:Puff, How does one make a 1 gallon nano?
its a half gallon nano... and you adjust everything little by little until you get something stable, top it off every day (most important), and I keep the lights on mine on all the time so evaporation is constant as well as tempurature. its at a stable 82 degrees all the time and the salinity doesnt vary enough to do anything if topped of daily or twice daily (once first thing in the morning and once before bed)

Will
Stingray
Stingray

May 3rd, 2009, 6:08 pm #16

So you have a small tank, put marine salt and substrate in and a coral? Add a bright light and your done? All you have to do is refill?
P0RN!!!

puffcrusader696
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

May 3rd, 2009, 6:51 pm #17

Tail3736 wrote:So you have a small tank, put marine salt and substrate in and a coral? Add a bright light and your done? All you have to do is refill?
you gotta keep it for a few weeks without coral to make sure its stable before you add... and about every other or third day I take a about one and a half cups of water out of it, dump it in my 20 gallon long reef and take a cup and a half of that and dump it in my half gal. keeps all the levels stable and doesnt allow anything to build up... plus with all the live rock, sand, and biomedia i have in the filter i dont think anything that can live in there will have too much of an affect on the ammonia, nitrates etc... I use two 7w perch lights from www.thatfishplace.com and they keep the water warm and the corals happy :D

Will
Stingray
Stingray

May 5th, 2009, 9:44 pm #18

Could I set one up with a 1 gallon for less maitenance?
My Dad really wants a reef, so I am considering this. I also might use a 5 gallon as my nano :)
P0RN!!!

puffcrusader696
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

May 6th, 2009, 3:30 am #19

if you are new to salt the bigger the better. The bigger it is the more forgiveness it has if you make a mistake. One tiny mistake in a one gallon could kill the hole thing. The smaller they are the more maintenance they are. I would recommend 60 or larger for beginners but if you cant try to at least have a 10 gallon. You can also read my post on how to set up a reef tank and ask me for any specifics.