Help! Cotton Eye!

WyldLife6201
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

1:50 AM - May 02, 2009 #1

I don't know the exact name of the illness but my female Swordtail Platy has started to get some cotton-substance around her eyes and I dont want it to spread and I need to get rid of it ASAP!

< CLICK PLEASE!

Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark
Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark

4:18 PM - May 02, 2009 #3

numbers, you need treatment which is for fungus and finrot. i'd suggest using something gentle such as Esha. if you have good water quality you can also just keep on doing water changes and slowly it will go away by itself. however i think it should be left untreated only if you are in the first stages of this infection. DO NOT let it reach the base of your fish's fin if not you risk it never growing back! if you think it is past healing on its own without medication then IMO waterchanges are the way to do it and a little salt wouldnt go to any harm either. but best to medicate if you are worried and add an extra airstone in there or turn up the pump.

Tigerpuffer
Kohaku Koi
Kohaku Koi

11:52 PM - May 02, 2009 #4

could be columnaris. in which case youre in trouble
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark
Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark

12:15 AM - May 03, 2009 #5

no if it was, he would see worms.

Tigerpuffer
Kohaku Koi
Kohaku Koi

12:32 AM - May 03, 2009 #6

you mean planaria?

columnaris is a microscopic parasite.
-Tig
~~~~~~~~~~~:>--<

WyldLife6201
Baby Black Aro
Baby Black Aro

3:58 AM - May 03, 2009 #7

Neer, when you say salt you mean table salt? Or Aquarium Salt?

< CLICK PLEASE!

Binnyswaa
Baby Angelfish
Baby Angelfish

8:03 AM - May 03, 2009 #8

LOL...

anywho. your fish has columnaris. Treat accordingly. you will not see worms, and TBH, if you let it go any longer, your fish will likely die.

gremlin
Apple Snail
Apple Snail
gremlin
Apple Snail
Apple Snail

1:34 PM - May 03, 2009 #9

Bottomfeeder wrote:you mean planaria?

columnaris is a microscopic parasite.
Wrong...

columnaris is a bacteria infection. Often caused when a fish has had a prior injury and bacteria has gotten into the wound.

It is a gram negative bacteria and needs to be treated accordingly. In the states the maracyn products are available and will do the job perfectly.

Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark
Snickerdoodle
White Shark
White Shark

1:36 PM - May 03, 2009 #10

Numbers get aquarium salt. Do not add table salt as this contains many caking agents and has additives in it. Add the aquarium salt or tonic salt slowly, dissolve in dechlorinated water first. Bear in mind this will only help with the healing process. Clean water is your main goal here. Any chance of getting a picture? That would be an enormous help.