BluePhoenix

August 15th, 2002, 9:25 pm #11

*Blue walks in, pulls the soapbox off the stage, dumps it in the refuse, and pushes the 'kill' switch on the unused forum.*
meh.

August 15th, 2002, 9:38 pm #12

Quote:
You know, I had a response, but the board ate it.
Which is why I always try to remember to write long posts using Windows Notepad, and then copy and paste into ezboard's window (fool me 143 times, shame on me).
From what I've been told, the IkonSpark is starting to go through the same internal problems that the members had when they were on this board. People are starting to leave. I've even seen an IkonSpark parody board made up entirely of refugees. And our board gains new users almost every day. So we don't need to throw rocks or make jokes about it or any other kind of action. All we need to do is maintain the best board we can, and treat people better than they are treated elsewhere. Sooner or later the members will vote with their mice again. We'll be here to welcome them home, and we can be VERY patient.

Vegetarian - old Indian word for "lousy shot"
I know in my heart that man is good.
That what is right will always eventually triumph.
And there's purpose and worth to each and every life.
- Ronald Reagan

Prime Z

August 15th, 2002, 9:44 pm #13

Extremely patient.

BluePhoenix

August 15th, 2002, 9:53 pm #14

...the plural of a computer "mouse" is "mice"??? it boggles the mind...

Dvandom

August 16th, 2002, 1:29 pm #15

Quote:
*Blue walks in, pulls the soapbox off the stage,
dumps it in the refuse, and pushes the 'kill' switch on
the unused forum.*
meh.
:Unquote

Yeah, this sort of thing goes over REAL well, Blue.
Anyway, now that I'm on my work machine (ezBoard seems to be lightly broken for the browser I use at home, but okay on the one I use at work), here's a rough repeat of what I tried to say yesterday.
Online communities are much less tied to specific URLs and machines than real life ones are tied to places, and even real life communities often wander off to someplace new, leaving very little behind. Additionally, often the reason an online community moves is because of bad experiences with a service provider...ezBoard left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of ikonSparkers, and many still avoid any board run by the place. The fact that it's not jus ezBoard but ezAllSpark makes it even less likely they'll ever return.
Sure, ikonSpark is having schisms. Get a large enough group together, and I guarantee it will have jerks who some people can't stomach (thus driving non-jerks away) and people with authority issues who will complain loudly about any restrictions on their license to ill. And you might get some oscillation between ikonSpark and ezSpark from these two groups, but I doubt it'll be a lot. Just as people who left Bottalk to form the first AllSpark don't tend to return to the Bottalk fold, I doubt many ikonSparkers will feel like coming to ezSpark, no matter how intolerable they come to find ikonSpark. They'll just go somewhere new, a place without bad memories for them. And with boards proliferating, there's plenty of other places to go without having to go back on one's "I'm never coming back" statements.
Finally, as a side note, like Neale my temper tends to flare quickly. Usually, though, it flares back down before I act on it. The one major exception is when a board's code angers me, since I'm right there and able to vent about it, with no cooling down period in between. But I rarely take irrevocable actions (like erasing directories, spiking fora, etc). However, in order to make my online life less stressful, I have set me "screw this, I'm leaving" threshold far below my boiling point. Basically, once I think the annoyance factor exceeds the utility of a place (and a low-traffic board has a low utility, tobe frank), I bail. Maybe for a while, maybe for a very long while. I have a subdirectory in my bookmarks full of "Dead Boards" that aren't really worth bothering with, but I keep 'em around to check once in a while to see if things have improved.
ikonSpark has a high enough utility to me that I'm willing to put up with a lot and still visit daily. ezSpark does not at this point, so I may leave again for months for what seem to be petty reasons. I'm not being petty, just being practical. I've got enough "causes" to put my effort behind as it is...I bear you guys no real ill will, and hope you find your niche, but I'm not really prepared to offer more than the occasional advice and encouragement.
Dave

Prime Z

August 17th, 2002, 12:29 am #16

You know Dave, I just kept giving thought to your arguments, and I have this to say.
Being a majority does not automatically gives anyone the right, and I've never given up in doing what is right, and I'm not going to stop now, or ever. We may be a minority, but that does not means that we have to surrender our name or our dignity.
What you propose is a practical solution, which may very well work. But by doing that we would be betraying our principles about justice.
We will never waiver on our resolve. This may seem childish or immature to you, however for us this is serious, because we had reputations in the fandom before the whole incident came to be. Our reputations were ruined by smear campaigns of people who just wanted to take over our work.
This is not about petty revenge, or out of selfishness, this is all about getting back what was taken from us. As simple as that.
Nothing has stopped us so far, and we'll be here, taking little step after little step. AllSpark will outlive the ikonboard. Not because we are more clever than anyone in there, but because we are fair and true.
You say that it doesn't matters who is right or wrong, but it does! Apathy for fighting for truth and justice is plain wrong, that is why there are so many wrongs in the world today.
I can give you a lot of examples of people who used to hate me, because they were misinformed about me, because of slander and lies, and now they know me, and they accept me.
As stupid as it may seem to fare an internet "war", it is a conflict no less, a conflict in which the rights of good people were crushed because of the avarice, manipulations and greed of one man. I refuse not to fight, or to surrender to injustice. WE refuse!
We didn't loose the "war" on the contrary, we won more than you seem to comprehend. The AllSpark original board, was given back to the person that the original founder and owner had given it to. We "resurrected" ourselves from the slander and lies. We cast out the man who had used us to get into a position to usurp power to begin with... We are growing again, slowly but surely. We won.