April 6th, 2005, 3:22 am #11

I say that with the Jobs in the U.S being outsourced I may be called a wet back crossing the border into mexico.
My Question if it was the other way how would the Mexican govt treat this situation? Death is no greater a reward than a life of pain.Quote by: John Williamson
Don't Believe me research it Yourself!

Prime Z

April 6th, 2005, 9:25 am #12

Interesting proposition.
Out of the places in Mexico that I have been, the general rule is that the locals are very welcoming to foreigners, the exception being of course the south, in which robbery and kidnappings are very common.
The spanish that invaded us remained here, the same with the French and even a lot of americans from the war with the US, that's why you get to see blonde and dark skinned mexicans in this country.
Most of the people from the south, the ones that are more purely linked by blood to the ancient Aztecs and Indians are usually the poorest, and those are the ones that you get to have over there as illegal immigrants.
But like someone said, it is a miniscule percentage of the population. The rest of us bust out butts working like you guys do over there.

April 6th, 2005, 2:17 pm #13

Doesn't the Mexican military man your southern borders? What do they do to people who try to sneak in? And what would President Fox say if the US protected our southern border the way Mexico protects its southern border? Just curious.

I know in my heart that man is good.
That what is right will always eventually triumph.
And there's purpose and worth to each and every life.
- Ronald Reagan
- Ronald Reagan

Prime Z

April 6th, 2005, 3:51 pm #14

I've never been to the Mexico-Guatemala border, but for what I've heard, the situation there is similar in the sense that people do get in.
I'd seriously doubt any assurance that our borders are air tight locked.
And yes, the border patrol certainly detains illegal immigrants to deport them, I have no quarrel with keeping the law.
My only concern is that a group of untrained civilians might use unnecesary force against possible innocents.

USAF Prime

April 6th, 2005, 5:14 pm #15

then with each group that is out there, there should be a member of the military/FBI/DEA/ or a cop.

Prime Z

April 6th, 2005, 8:11 pm #16

That sounds proper and just in any case, there is absolutely no way to consider an untrained civilian with the restraint properly trained armed forces personnel may show.
However, that would mean sanctioning from the government for the militia, which would need legislation, and that would mean time.
I hope things works out, although you can bet that there will be incidents of violent confrontations, which will place civilians from both sides in jeopardy.

USAF Prime

April 6th, 2005, 9:43 pm #17

well, you can always just have them go under cover, hell most FBI don't even where uniforms.
but violence will happen, no matter what. It's the degree of violence that can be averted. hell the government is even sending people to the Arizona border to help stop the flow.

April 7th, 2005, 2:44 pm #18

Quote:
Minutemen' Patrol US Border with Mexico
By Angela Taylor
Bisbee, Arizona
07 April 2005
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Taylor report - Download 351k
Taylor report
American volunteers, and even some Mexicans, are patrolling a part of the U.S. border with Mexico, searching for illegal newcomers. They call themselves the Minutemen, and say they are acting because the Bush administration has not done enough to stop the flow of illegal immigrants across the southern border.
The Minutemen and their supporters descended on the Arizona-Mexico border towns of Douglas and Naco last weekend to kick off their month long project. They're self-appointed citizen border patrollers who have come from all over the United States in an effort to draw attention to the area's porous borders. Border Patrol officials say more people crossed into the United States in this area last year than any other place in the country.
Most of the Minutemen say they voted for President Bush in the last election but they say they are fed up with what they see as the administration's lackluster approach to sealing the border. They say the nation's security and the integrity of federal immigration laws are at stake.
At a rally in Douglas, Minutemen project co-founder, Jim Gilchrist, stood on the back of a pick-up truck and used a bull-horn to tell the crowd, including journalists, that the Minutemen are not outlaws.
"I'm gonna do what Martin Luther King did. We're gonna use his philosophy," said Mr. Gilchrist. "We will observe. We will report. We will support law enforcement. we will not interfere with them. We will do no harm... and... we will be victorious."
The citizen patrols, which started Monday, appears to making some progress.
"The Mexican government is moving them out of this area," said Robert Fagan, one of the volunteers. "We observe them out there everyday. And, well, there's nine of them over there under them trees right now."
Several hours before, Mr. Robert Fagan and his fellow minutemen watched the group walk towards the trees a short distance away from the barbed wire border and then crouch down. Fagan's group called the border patrol to look into it. In the meantime, they'll keep their eyes trained on the stand of trees, looking for movement.
Lupe Moreno is Mexican and a Minutemen. She says her father was a coyote - a smuggler of illegal immigrants and that her involvement with the Minutemen is a way for her to make amends for her father's past.
"You know what there's a lot of Latinos out here, Hispanics. I've talked to about four or five," said Ms. Moreno. "They're fighting like me which makes me so proud! We're gonna get together and we're gonna even fight harder."
Ms. Moreno knows her alliance with the Minutemen is not popular within the Mexican community but believes her American patriotism comes before her heritage.
"If I don't do it then who else is gonna do it ? I have to be out there," she said. "We have to do this. It has to be done."

The Minutemen project is drawing criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union, immigrants rights groups, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. President Bush has not released an official statement since the project got underway this weekend but he derided the Minuteman at a press conference last week - calling them vigilantes.
Link
Okay, Hector, you've been quiet long enough. Get up here on our side of the border and let's shut it down. Or maybe you could do more good from your side.

- Ronald Reagan
- Ronald Reagan

The Darkhour

April 7th, 2005, 5:59 pm #19

Hector can find a nice big truck and move em on masse.

oneloudcrow

April 7th, 2005, 7:36 pm #20

Hey, Tara,

You're right about the spelling errors. I wanted to tell them but they don't take anonymous replies. My impression is that they are young and new to a lot of this (also, there's a few of them writing on that blog, some might be better than others). I originally went there to read about the Black Panther Comic Book series which has recently been revised (Black Panther kicks ass, he literally kicks Caption America's ass in the comic) and I happened to find that and thought it was interesting. I don't have a sense of how many counter protesters there are. But, in my experience, they'll be better organized than the Minutemen, and able to work out petty arguments better (I've picked that up as a source of frustration from many sources).
"How do you handle that contradiction -- between mobilizing people around what you understand to be true, while at the same time having a critical attitude and being open to the understanding that you may not be right about this or that particular, or even about big questions?." - Bob Avakian www.bobavakian.net/
"How do you handle that contradiction -- between mobilizing people around what you understand to be true, while at the same time having a critical attitude and being open to the understanding that you may not be right about this or that particular, or even about big questions?." - Bob Avakian www.bobavakian.net/