Changed by their experiences, Pestilens demanded power and wealth from the Council of Thirteen.
They were refused.
Thus began a war that divided Skavenkind.
For four hundred years, Skaven fought Skaven. Entire Clans were wiped out in their hundreds if not thousands.
Disease swept the Underempire as the loyalists tried to regain control.
Great weapons of Skryre and beasts of Moulder tore through the Pestilens traitors.
Beneath the world, tunnels ran with the blood of Skaven.
For four hundred years the war dragged onwards.
A time of death, heresy, and plague.
For this was the First Civil War!
Welcome to another UE impromptu fluff challenge!
The previous challenge on a Post Ascension World is still open for submissions, but I thought it would be fun to add something else to the mix. As there are only glimpses of earlier Skavenkind in BL books or the army book, the First Civil War felt an interesting period of the Warhammer World to cover.
So, what is this challenge about?
Create your own version of the first Skaven Civil War (not to be confused with the UE's Civil War campaign! ) that took place around 2400 years before the End Times. It can be at the outset of the war, it can be during the long stalemate, it can be at the very end of the war when Eshin made it's dramatic return. Of course, everyone will likely have their own interpretation, so i'd say to treat all entries as their own alternative reality. Skaven history is often vague like that anyway.
- Submit as many bits of fluff as you like in this thread, as long as it has something to do with the First Skaven Civil War.
- Comment on pieces in the comment/feedback thread, not here.
- Respect the forum rules on posting.
- Have fun building your own picture of the First Civil War!
Guide to the time of the First Civil War
- All current Skaven named characters were almost certainly not born yet during this time. Similarly it is unlikely that much of the leaders of Skavenkind are the same as the present in the timeline.
- Typically a lot of Skryre machines are much cruder and simple (with ratling guns and Doomwheels not existing yet.)
- Likewise, Moulder's creations are unlikely to be as perfected as the present ones are, and Abominations will not exist for nearly two thousand years.
- During the war, the southern part of the Skaven empire (not specified exactly where but the Southlands were held. See a Warhammer World map for more details.) was taken over by Pestilens and those who aligned with them, the loyalists to the Council of Thirteen controlled the northern parts of the Underempire.
- Much of the war was a bloody stalemate with minor Clans constantly changing sides as one faction seemed to have an advantage.
- Eshin only returned from Cathay about four hundred years into the civil war where they joined the loyalists and tipped the balance.
- The war ended with a peace deal, where Pestilens joined the Council and pledged their resources and wealth to the ascension.
Again, there will not be any time limit for this challenge. Good luck!