Skaven Black Ark Rules

Bobtailmaneater
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

May 14th, 2010, 7:34 pm #1

Hey guys - I have been looking longingly at an old conversion that I did for the Golden Deamon a number of years ago. It was in White Dwarf and I used to use it as the "Black Ark" - but haven't used it since 6th edition came out.

Here's a photo from WD:

(BTW, the WD editor's text on this is completely wrong - I didn't use a single bit from the Screaming Bell to make this!)

MUTATE: I took some close-up photos from different angles (below) now that we're all living in the age of digital camera (did I mention this project was done for 5th edition? Yeah, I know, I've got some grey in my fur these days...)

That skull was made in 2 parts from sculpey, the first medium I ever tried to make miniatures out of. I cast it before I attached it to the Arc, and ended up selling about 50 tin castings of this skull back in the 1990's at $5 a pop! I wonder where they are now?

The warlock on the "throne" is wearing a cape made from the lead wrappings you find on the top of wine bottles.

I went a little nuts painting this guy's robes :)

The warplock pistol this Warlock is holding is also made of sculpey too, and I think it's the first thing I ever really tried to sculpt in 25mm. Still looks pretty good to me today :)

The 5th edition Doomwheel driver Warlock top half, lower body made from sculpey with feet and tail taken off another miniature (the bottom half of the Doomwheel driver is part of the warlock sitting on the "throne", above). Getting his all the parts to line up so that his right hand would be turning the winch handle was a real pain in the ass! Nowadays I'd just sculpt the whole thing from scratch, which would actually be a lot easier.

I used a piece of actual braided string for his belt, which to my eye now is totally out of scale :blush:

O.k., back on topic:

I was thinking about maybe using it as a Plague Furnace, but I have the plastic kit for that, so I don't really need a proxy. I was wondering if the folks on this list would be interested in helping me develop new rules for this model under our new book (and Warhammer 8th edition, which will be upon us soon). It makes me sad that this model sits on the back of a shelf and never sees the table anymore :(

Ratmaster Rex
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

May 14th, 2010, 8:36 pm #2

You made that! Awesome, that's one of the models I saw online that inspired me to start skaven myself.

I bow to you oh great great builder :bow:

I was never able to find out much on what that Black Arc actually did, it was way before my awareness that warhammer even existed. All I really know is, when/if it opens something really awesome and bad happens. I'd like to help concept rules for it, I just don't know what it does. Or is that the point?

FatherSquee
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic
FatherSquee
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

May 14th, 2010, 8:49 pm #3

Well you could always use it as a furnace and build the kit as a Bell, then you've got both ;)

But if you want to make a whole new set of house rules (BTW, here's more house rules) I would see it as doing large AoE effects, maybe if you just take the bell chart and re-write the results of it, that would probably be your best bet at making it on par with the Bell/Furnace; just instead of 'ringing the bell' your 'open the ark.'

But yeah, liberal use of the templates would be good, having effects that spread out 4D6 inches (which seems to be the new standard :P ) then on the higher end have things that go 24 inches - full board wide. For 13 have something that effects all Skaven on the field (friend and foe)

Bobtailmaneater
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

May 15th, 2010, 1:09 am #4

Ratmaster Rex wrote: I was never able to find out much on what that Black Arc actually did, it was way before my awareness that warhammer even existed. All I really know is, when/if it opens something really awesome and bad happens. I'd like to help concept rules for it, I just don't know what it does. Or is that the point?
I tend to think of when the Ark of the Covenant was opened at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and everyone's faces melted and exploded (unless they looked away). Pretty nasty stuff, but of course one needs to balance the rules and come up with an appropriate point cost...

Pestilent Lord
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver
Pestilent Lord
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver

May 15th, 2010, 1:28 am #5

If we care to begin where others have gone before... http://www.itn.is/~comal/other/blackarc.htm
But I think those were designed in like 5th? Possibly?
So definitely some updated/reworking would be needed.
?A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when the plot dictates he should.?
Skaven 7th:
W/L/D
6/5/2
High Elves:
2/3/1

Clanlord Trask
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

May 15th, 2010, 3:49 am #6

I am sure you are being ironic, yes Pestilent Lord? Telling an author to reference his own past work?

Just from the look of the Black Ark, to me, it looks like it would be a blend of Screaming Bell and Casket Of Souls. Appropriate a lot of the stats and movement/placement rules from the Screaming Bell, and the firing/magic mechanics from the Casket Of Souls.

Silas
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

May 15th, 2010, 3:47 pm #7

That is amazing I bow before your great power :bow:
Now as for rules give me a few minutes *five minutes later* Ta da I present a set of idea I just came up with for this amazing machine.

Grey seer mount: The black arc carrier is ridden by a grey seer.
Grey seer bodyguard: The grey seer is protected by a body guard who may accept all challenges for the grey seer (despite not being a character).
Bodyguard states are on the way.
Black arc: The black arc may be opened during the shooting phase all models (friend and foe) within the front arc and 20 must take an unmodified leadership test or suffer one wound with no saves allowed.
Misery loves company: For every 13 models killed by the black arc the range is increased by one inch (note this includes friendly models killed)
Daemon head: the head at the front of the black arc in that of a fallen verminlord that is bought back to life to serve the great horned rat. The head makes 2d6 str 5 attacks each close combat phase.
Impact hits: the black arc carrier inflicts D6 str 4 impact hits.
Servant of the horned rat: The grey seer riding the black arc carrier has a 4+ ward save.
Opening the arc fully: Once during the game during the magic phase the arc may be opened fully it eminently casts curse of the horned rat at power level 25 on one unit with the front arc and the black arcs range (normally 20 but may be bossed see Misery loves company)

The conversion is so amazing that I just ahs the come up with rules to show its awesomeness hope you like what I camp up with.
Mutate: If we are making rules should this not he moved to homebrew?
Gate keeper of the Armoury of Poking Sticks. :duel:

THE BUNNY HAS AWOKEN!!!
THE BUNNY WILL EAT!!!
THE BUNNY SHALL FIGHT!!!
THE BUNNY SHALL WIN!!!
THE BUNNY SHALL INHERIT!!!

Gnashfang
Grey Seer
Grey Seer
Gnashfang
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

May 15th, 2010, 7:18 pm #8

For some reason I expected the Black Ark to be some sort of Skaven ship :P
Skavenade-it'll tickle yer innards!

Eli: You must copy down everything I say, word for word. Word?
Other guy: *sigh* word.
Eli: In the beginning there was the word...

---Final Scene, The Book of Eli Abridged

Our faith is unshakable and our resolve is unbreakable!
We are the Chosen and WE WILL INHERIT!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

The Saga of Kratch Rotfang. Check it out!

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

May 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm #9

First off, I'd like to join Ratmaster Rex in bowing towards a great builder, so... :bow:

That aside ( :P ), as it's mentioned the idea for the Black Arc was based partially in the Raiders of the Lost Arc movie, I think an unmodified initiative test would be far more suited. After all, that is the statistic that specifies your speed and thus also how fast you'd be to look away from it.

Greetz
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30

Warlock Matik
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

May 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm #10

I agree with Vinz that it should be a characteristic test, either I or T. If you were going to make leadership tests on each model it would be a nightmare when you catch a big block of infantry.

And that is an excellent model Bob, much like your others :bow: