Moderator: CapAmr05

How effective is the doom rocket?

lord baines
Clanrat
Clanrat

8:33 AM - May 14, 2010 #1

I'm going to see if i can squeeze a warlock engineer into my list, give him a magic level and whack a doom rocket on him... I'd have to drop a giant rat unit from the list I have in the Army list section (please go have a look and give me your wisdom)!

My question is this,

1) Is the doomrocket the wonder weapon in our arsenal?
2) Would it be worth running a warlock bare with one?
3) How has it performed for you?

And does it ever do this :KA-BOOM:

Celethar
Skaven Slave
Skaven Slave
Celethar
Skaven Slave
Skaven Slave

11:09 AM - May 14, 2010 #2

aaah.. the Doom rocket.. You can kill a shade star with that or kill your opponent with that (once I rolled 7/10 sixes!!! My measure tape reached my opponents eye :P )
I think its really worth it.. even if your opponent dont got any blocks you can aim for the machines (especially if they are gathered all together ;) ). Once i managed to destroy a goblin chuka and a doomdiver :) .

Myth
Clanrat
Clanrat
Myth
Clanrat
Clanrat

11:46 AM - May 14, 2010 #3

I have much luck with my doomrocket, whenever I shoot it and there's no misfire, it will certainly claim some lives of the enemies. Lucky shots for now are: a direct hit on a unit of orcs with their general, after the smoke has abated, only a few of my enemies could be seen. Dev Another time, the foolish man-things accompaning the knights of Bretonnia have virtually vanished after another direct hit of this weapon. My opponents know this weapon and they are rightfully fearful of it :KA-BOOM:
Doom, doom, all is doom, all is ruinous.

Jazz22
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jazz22
Chieftain
Chieftain

12:36 PM - May 14, 2010 #4

There does seem to be some measure of skill required to use the DR correctly, though the sheer amount of d6's that you have to roll puts a huge level of chance in there. I think it would be best to save the DR until your opponent is about 12-14" away and throw 4 dice at it, for consistent results.

As far as taking a naked WE just to get it, though, seems like a monumental waste of his casting potential. A level 2 WE can do both the DR and a WL spell on the same turn, and boosts your magic defense a bit as well!

Shivan_Angel
Stormvermin
Stormvermin
Shivan_Angel
Stormvermin
Stormvermin

2:23 PM - May 14, 2010 #5

A Level 2 warlock engineer with doomrocket and a condenser is probably the only model in my army that always makes his points back.

I rarely have my doomrocket due just completely horrible, especially if early in the game you get a skitterleap off on the flank of all their RnF...

I think the most points my doomrocket has ever claimed is 400 something, Landed it right smack in the middle of a decked out unit with a hero, and his bsb.

fantasypisces
Clanrat
Clanrat

8:59 PM - May 14, 2010 #6

My doomrocket in a 1000 point game killed 19 orcs out of a unit of 25. It was amazing, although my opponent got really mad, naturally.

In a 2250 game it killed 11 ghouls, in another spread 6 wounds around a bunch of ogres. So it is a pretty good item and I always try to fit it in when I can.
Last Game: Victory vs Warrior of Chaos

carcharoth
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver
carcharoth
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver

2:26 PM - May 16, 2010 #7

inthe 5 times i've taken it, my doomrocket has done diddly squat. It either massively overshoots or ends just in fromt of the enemy.

2:53 PM - May 16, 2010 #8

Best doomrocket shot: a unit of pistoliers downed. I once fired it at some grail knights, all hit, lots of wounds, fails all his AS, passes all his WS. <_<
Still, it does miss a lot. Never rolled a triple 1 though.

SkavenDan
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic
SkavenDan
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

12:37 PM - May 17, 2010 #9

I have never taken it so I am very interested in how people prospectivly use this.

So I take it the dice determin how good it is as the hard part is hitting your target?

fantasypisces
Clanrat
Clanrat

12:42 PM - May 17, 2010 #10

Maybe I'm just really good at eyeballing, but in the 3-4 times I've used it, I have never missed. I usually just get 14-18 inches away and throw four dice at the range, that is how I feel it is used most effectively.
Last Game: Victory vs Warrior of Chaos