Moderators: CapAmr05, Olorin the Ancient

How do you make your gold look aged?

HarleyXJGuy
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

July 29th, 2012, 4:37 pm #1

So I have this WLC with a lot of gold on it I would like to make look not so showroom new looking.

I have seen people use some kinda blue on models and that is kinda cool. How do you do it?

This is my WLC for reference.

hannanibal
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

July 29th, 2012, 5:36 pm #2

Gold doesn't age. It's a noble metal and doesn't react with anything so I'd just give it a few edge higlights of light silver and maybe some reikland fleshade in the recesses.

The blue aging effect (verdigris) is a reaction to any metal containing copper. It's usually acheived by washing thin turquoise into recesses and then, if you are feeling adventurous, turquoise mixed with white over the pure turquoise wash. But that would only look good on a deep brass/copper colour. I don't think it will work on gold at all.

July 29th, 2012, 6:59 pm #3

If you have any left, throw some delvan mud on there, it will make it look dirty, and tune down the shine, but as Hannibal said gold doesn't "age" at all
SHINY!!!!! urgh....its only gold...needs silver.....

ic0slayer
Clanrat
Clanrat

July 29th, 2012, 9:39 pm #4

Decline mud does the trick. It's a pitty GW have discontinued this :(

Overlord Dror
Grey Seer
Grey Seer

July 29th, 2012, 10:20 pm #5

While gold doesn't age....you can use a light wash of sepia to give your gold a bit of definition.
Build a better trap and Clan Moulder will build a better rat!!!!

Code:

Scarr, Reincarnated
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver

July 29th, 2012, 10:23 pm #6

Overlord Dror wrote:you can use a light wash of sepia to give your god a bit of definition.
Giving god more definition... It is a thing now indeed.

I agree with the above comments that a bit of "touch" on it might help with the look in general.
The Pox on you, AND your kind!

Player of games, watcher of games, gamer of plays.

CravenS
Skaven Slave
Skaven Slave

July 29th, 2012, 10:34 pm #7

I agree gold in the real world doesn't react with much naturally, however applying most physical or chemical laws to skaven is probably not going to work much either. You could say it isn't 'gold' (just shiny yellow metal) or you could fluff it up and say the warp lightning is so hot even gold gets oxidised. Reality aside, the verdigris look can work I think, as looks to have been used on the new OK army - look at the shields on the thundertusk (see WD381 p. 46). I also did so recently on my PM wip (bells only) and worked for what I wanted. It was burnished gold drybrushed over tinbitz then devlan'd and then washed with hawk turquoise with a dot of dark angels green, easy to control how much verdigris as well by applying a lot of the wash and then removing any unwanted excess with a clean paintbrush.

scrivener
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic
scrivener
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

July 30th, 2012, 8:25 am #8

You can still "age" the look of your gold without resorting to verdigris... the gold on your model now does feel too new, but most of that I think comes from the way the colour is too even, making it plasticky. First maybe a devlan mud wash to break down the evenness of the colour tone, then add stronger highlights and shading, going with silvery for the highlights and a reddish colour for the shading. These need to be fairly strong for a good effect (to represent the reflectiveness of metal), with lots of shading over about 30-50% of the model and limiting the highlights to the highest points.
hannanibal wrote:*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Kimzi
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic
Kimzi
Doomwheel Fanatic
Doomwheel Fanatic

July 30th, 2012, 8:37 am #9

I age my gold-like metals with dark greens and then some Ogryn Flesh. Seem to work well.
But for real gold I would take Scrivener's approach. That makes the gold look even more gold and shiny. :D
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

Rageaholic
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver
Rageaholic
Doomwheel Driver
Doomwheel Driver

July 30th, 2012, 10:06 am #10

I think devlan is a bit too strong for gold unless you want to make it look really filthy.
Depending on the exact look I'm going for I use either sepia or fleshshade or a 50%50 mix of both.

Either way I wouldn't use more than 50% devlan mixed with something less dark like the aforementioned sepia.