Small Triops can feed on brine shrimp eggs

BlueWanderer
Triops Longicaudatus
BlueWanderer
Triops Longicaudatus

December 16th, 2017, 4:41 pm #1

Some species of brine shrimps can hatch into umbrella stage in fresh water. And baby Triops will eat them.
After Triops has grown to about 1cm long, they will be able to eat unhatched eggs.

I've tried feeding nothing else until day 6 as the Triops had grown too big and would swallow the eggs whole without chewing.

----

edit

I checked the excrement under a microscop. Those I had once believed to be undigested eggs were actually cracked egg shells.

So Triops can actually eat brine shrimp eggs when they are quite big.
Last edited by BlueWanderer on December 18th, 2017, 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aubandain
Triops Longicaudatus
Aubandain
Triops Longicaudatus

May 15th, 2018, 2:55 pm #2

this brings up an interesting question...

to what extent do they eat their own eggs? as a survival strategy, it would make sense for them to be able to consume a wide varieties of food, but it would seem counterproductive for a triops to eat all of its own eggs just to get enough energy and resources to produce some more.

this would be an interesting thing to study... do triops consume their own eggs as indiscriminately as they consume the eggs of other vernal pool dwellers? do they discriminate between their own eggs and those of other triops?

in the past, i have used brine solution to help concentrate eggs. basically, i put the substrate with the eggs in it into a large bowl and add salt until the brine solution is more dense than the eggs, and then the eggs float. i then collect the eggs and put them into fresh water and they sink again. after that, its just a matter of rinsing them a couple times and drying them out. i imagine it would take a lot of eggs to feed a triops pure triops eggs...

something to think about.