Slash0mega's first triops tank.

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 4th, 2018, 2:55 am #1

I decided to start a tank log for my first attempt at keeping tripos as a way to keep track of their care. They look quite fun to write as well :P so here I go

--Day one--
Ok, so I started “conditioning” the water. I stuck in some lucky bamboo and a bag of detritus I tried to make. I would have loved to use a Marimo moss ball but none exist in town right now, so bamboo it is. I had a banana plant I would have used for the hatching but it was in very poor health, I saw a healthy example of one when I returned it but I really will need an easier to care for plant. Whether or not it stays with the triops after some warmer weather lets me order some plants off amazon is another story. (also if the triops kill it by munching its roots it would only be about 3 dollars down the drain :P)

After about 10 hours I will add the eggs. Only going to use about a fourth of my 150 egg pouch.

The hatching tank is a floating Tupperware container full of distilled water, after the Triops start growing I will condition them to the tank water by using a turkey baster to add a little bit of tank water daily.

The thing that looks like a moss ball is really just something that emulates a plant as far as I know, it was sold as a moss ball but I think its synthetic. Still helps out with tank cycling stuff.

I bought some shrimp wafers as adult food as well.

Here is some instructions I rigged up from multiple sources for hatching.
  • prepare floating dish by puting in plant and detretus for 10 hours and make sure water is warm enough
  • after 10 hours if temp is good put in eggs, make sure no eggs stick to the walls
  • triops will start hatching from 24 to 48 hours, potintaly longer
  • DO NOT FEED till 48 hours AFTER HATCHING. feed triops a tiny prick of algi powder twice a day, being
  • carfull of water quality
  • do watcher changes/refills with aquarium water to get them used to aquarium quality
  • after a week and a half, if triops are big enough transfer to aquarium

Last edited by Slash0mega on March 4th, 2018, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 4th, 2018, 6:52 pm #2

--Day 2--
Ok, water has finished conditioning while I slept, the temperature is good, so now its time to add the eggs. There is nothing more to do for the next 2 to 3 days but wait on the eggs.

Ok, sliiight complication. So it turns out triop eggs FLOAT, which is something I had no idea about. The instructions I got said to make sure they don't stick to the side, but I didn't realise that meant they would be floating and accumulating on the surface lol. So instead of just casually waiting on the eggs to hatch I am going to have to babysit the container and periodically make sure no eggs are drying out. Glad I got that Triop(turkey) baster XD.

The free floating container makes it slightly harder to keep the eggs in the water with the water surface shifting about, but with my tank lid holding it down it should stay pretty level until I remove said lid.

Last edited by Slash0mega on March 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notostracan
Triops Newberryi
notostracan
Triops Newberryi

March 5th, 2018, 8:21 pm #3

Looking good! The "Lucky bamboo" is a great idea, if you make sure it's top leaves are above the water and get enough light, it will also do a good job cleaning the water. This plant is often sold as an aquatic plant here even though it's not lol, but it grows very well with just it's roots in the water.

I know how you feel when it comes to the floating triops cysts! When I set up triops tanks I use a syringe or pipette to wash them off the sides of the tub, same as you are doing with the turkey baster, it's the most stressful part of hatching triops for me :lolD: . Some of the cysts will only hatch on the 2nd or even 3rd hydration anyway, so as long as you are putting them back in the water at least daily, don't worry too much about the viability being effected, it could actually help . Another good thing is you have only used 1/4 of the cysts too, so can always add more if you don't get enough hatching out.

One thing I don't see mentioned that will increase the hatch rate considerably is leaving the lights on for at least 24 hours to begin with (if the tank is in a bedroom, I just put a towel over the tank when going to bed). Triops cysts only hatch in the light, so keeping the light on straight for the first 24-48 hours speeds things up a lot :) .

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 6th, 2018, 1:25 am #4

yep, i knew about the bamboo not being fully submerged, i have it sticking out of the feeding tray right now, and i will tie it to the intake pipe of the filter when the floating hatchery is removed. i did indeed leave the lights on for the hatching, for a little bit i thought i might be able to turn them off as long as its on a cylce cause thats what it looked like the "mytriops" guide was saying, but then i found a part about leaving them on so i threw my snuggy over the tank last night XD.

now on to the log update with some fantastic news.

--day 3--
WE GOT LIFE! I got little tiny baby Triops swimming about :O not going to bother with a picture today cause my phone will pick up nothing but a white dot but they are in there :D

I think I will need to start feeding them the baby powder the day after tomorrow (after 48 hours) but I will re-read all my Triop material to double check.

I think I counted around 7 of them but they are very hard to keep track of right now. There are a couple of eggs (2 or 3) stuck back on the back wall but I really don't want to mess with the water too much while I have live babies in there…

I really thought today would just be a “nothing yet” in the log XD

Next time I do a hatching, I think I will stick a bottle lid or something in the middle and try to encourage the eggs to stick to the sinking with the water level lid instead of the walls, I make a little plastic spatula/toothpick this morning out of a disposable cup but it didn't help too much. The water shifted while working on other eggs too much, getting other eggs stuck onto the walls while I removed others.

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 7th, 2018, 12:39 am #5

--Day 4--
All is awesome so far, all 7 Triops are accounted for and big enough to see details :D I had a scare last night where one looked like it was having a hard time shedding and writhing on the floor, but she seems to be fine now. Got a little bit worried about oxygen content when I realised I forgot to shake up the distilled jug of water, so I shook it up very well then added some with the turkey baster. Tomorrow I will get to feed them some of the baby Triop food algae powder. They also had a chance to enjoy some post 75 degree water cause the thermostat was turned up a bit and the room with it was cold last night, and my door was shut and insulated from the rest of the house, so judging by the waters thermometer I got woken up by 78 degree heat. After I begin water changes I might crank up there heater a bit from sub 75 degree hatching temperature.

They are big enough to be captured by the camera now, but they move about too fast to get a non blurred shot of one…

Tomorrow will also be the day I start using the turkey baster to start replacing some of the dirty distilled water with water from the tank. I am also getting a bit nervous cause I have read plenty of cases where Triops have hatched and seemed to be getting along pretty well

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 8th, 2018, 12:56 am #6

--Day 5--
They are getting bigger every day :D in fact or two are way bigger than the rest. One tried to munch a smaller one so I went ahead and fed them a few hours early, and now many of them are munching on the thin layer of green floating on the surface :)

I can now make out details on the largest ones, and I am wondering if I had any late hatchers because not only are some of them really tiny compared to the rest, I managed to count 8 of them today.

Last night was also the first night I started turning off the light at night, it's probably an experience to spend your entire life in the light only for it to go dark suddenly :P

also, a couple of days ago my sister decided to order some moss balls for me cause the weather was warm and the shipping was fast, of course yesterday it snowed so I got worried but they came in today and were fine. After I get them all set up (had to rinse and soak them to clean out ammonia from shipping apparently) I think I will swap the lucky bamboo with a moss ball cause its really hard to work with the tank when there is a stick sticking up through the feeding hatch that jostles the floating tank about whenever I do anything.

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 9th, 2018, 2:05 am #7

--Day 6--

Today I lost a Triop. I saw the largest swimming around with another in her mouth. I don't know if one died and got turned into a meal or killed for a meal, I think I'll try increasing feeding.

During a somber moment I was able to count all(?) 8 triops, including the one that was added to the menu. I have around 2 large triops and 5 smaller ones, perhaps I should separate them? Give the bigger ones there own marimo and tank or just let them into the full aquarium?

I wonder if algae powered disappearing means its getting all ate, or if its dissolved into the water.

supremelorax
Larva

March 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm #8

Hey slash0mega, it is nice to have something to compare with! I am on day 2 since hatching in my 'tank.' I was wondering the same thing about the algae powder but am feeding it to daphnia and seed shrimp right now. The seed shrimp are going nuts over it! I am interested to see how the marimo work out for you although I don't know if those are legit marimo as they tend to live in cooler, moving water and take a long time to get up to size. They were all over Japan when I lived there being sold in stores. Are your triops hanging around or on them at all?

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

March 9th, 2018, 5:28 pm #9

they do hang around them, particularly the smaller ones but the larger ones will come over and comb over the fuzz as well. I actually had to raise the water level a bit cause they kept trying to crawl on top of it XD

as far as I know they are legit, I got mine from a seller called aquatic arts/plants for pets and the little guide that came with it said to keep them under 78 degrees. so the cooler water requirement is there. I just checked some guides and they seem pretty genuine but Ill do a fuller investigation later. pretty sure they are not java moss however.

supremelorax
Larva

March 9th, 2018, 11:44 pm #10

Well, your tank is looking beautiful. I am finally having success with a detritus hatching and hopefully will move these to the 3 gallon next week. I am thinking about getting some of these moss balls to join in with the duckweed and elodea.