Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

August 24th, 2018, 5:43 am #111

interesting, i saw a baby triop this morning outside of the hatchery that was the same size as the triops in the hatchery. so clearly some are growing just fine in the tank, but i never see them. i turned down the bubbles anyways.

notostracan
Triops Newberryi
notostracan
Triops Newberryi

August 24th, 2018, 11:41 pm #112

Fingers crossed both the triops in tank and the hatchery survive and you can keep this tank going! :)

Bacterial/algal films can also cause an issue for the nauplii, however usually they can escape from it unless something eats them first (like a bigger triops or even a snail). Have you seen any Cyclops in your tank? I have watched them attack baby triops before and have to be careful not to add any when adding plants from my aquariums. Triops don’t do well in established aquarium ecosystems for the same reasons they cannot live in permanent bodies of water in the wild – the number of predators, disease organisms and competitors is usually too high for triops to successfully reproduce in longer-established bodies of water. There are just so many things that can kill the delicate and defenseless nauplii, but if enough hatch at once, then some are more likely to survive.
Last edited by notostracan on August 24th, 2018, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

September 5th, 2018, 3:26 pm #113

ya, everything is going better than expected. i don't think i seen any other creatures in my tank other than the worms (which all died i think, no idea what happened to them, ran out of algae to eat perhaps?) I am glad you brought that up cause my micro organism tank that never got off the ground might have had cyclops.

--day 17--

A bit late on the log, a bit of a busy week.

Well, something is weird, cause I have well over 10 triops, possibly over 15. I haven’t seen any of them as babies, but they where apparently there the whole time. I don't know if turning down the filter speed is what allowed them to thrive or not.

I also removed the plant when they where big enough to not be stuck in it. Tank is more empty, but looks way cleaner. I want to buy more elodea to fill out the back now however.

notostracan
Triops Newberryi
notostracan
Triops Newberryi

September 8th, 2018, 6:57 pm #114

If the white worms you are seeing are the same as the nematodes I see in my tank, the triops have probably just grown enough now to eat any of the worms silly enough to come out into the open.

15+ hatching and growing with no intervention, that's awesome! This tank must have soooo many cysts in the substrate by now too. Actually, this makes me wonder how long triops cysts can remain viable without drying out :ermm: .