I think I posted this in the wrong section (meet&greet) please help!

September 2nd, 2018, 3:18 am #1

, I started my first batch of these little babies about a week ago or so, I got the Triassic triop kit. I started out with two of the Smithsonian brands and they both ended very terribly so I had a couple of tanks from there. I used one of those tanks as the hatching tank. I used Ozarka natural spring water and main server water was in between 72 to 80 degrees at all times. during the day I kept them in my windows too and at night I put them on my dresser next to my bed.
they started hatching in the first 12 hours of me adding the eggs. Omg! I was shocked because I got over 42 hatches! I was concerned about having to buy a big tank with a filter system and all of that nice jazz to fit all of those baby however over the course of these past few days the numbers have drastically dropped to 3. I'm so disappointed. I followed the food directions completely so I'm not really sure if they ate each other or they just died for some strange reason...
Well I have a few concerns moving forward with these little survivors. The tank water is getting pretty murky even though I've been using the pipette to suck up extra food debris as well as weird looking floaties in the water which I think are the dead triops or molted skins.. I know they can survive in it because they live in the wild in nasty water sometimes but can it be hazardous to triops that we are raising at home? It really bothers me so maybe it's just bothering me more than them but I would like to get the water clean and debris free but it's very tedious and almost impossible to do it with that pipette.

Question 1- Is there an easier way to clean the tank?
Question 2- they are still pretty little right now but when is it safe to move them to a bigger fish tank with a filter and some decorations and natural water plants? If so, what are the best plants I can put in the tank?
Question 3- does every adult triop for sure lay eggs?
Question 4- when can I start introducing live brine shrimp? I know this sounds kind of morbid but I bought a sea monkey kit and I'm raising them to feed the triops.

Thanks guys! And please if you have any extra tips for a beginner or anything that would be important to tell somebody with triops that are the age of 4 to 5 days old please feel free to tell away! :)

Sorry the post was so long, I literally don't know anybody that knows what these are or we have any experience and I would hate for these ones I'm raising right now to die because it literally took me over a month of trial and error to get them and I love them!!

RickyRicardo
Larva

September 3rd, 2018, 11:38 pm #2

Welcome to the forums! Please check our my triops tank log I also used triassic triops, I have been so far successful. Hope it can help you! :)

September 6th, 2018, 8:01 pm #3

Thanks so much! Mine actually all finally died off so I'm going to the store today to start fresh and buy everything from the tank to the items inside the tank to food and everything that would be appropriate for starting a new batch. Your post is helpful!!!

Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi
Slash0mega
Triops Newberryi

September 8th, 2018, 2:54 am #4

1. in the babies stage, i dont think so.
2. i would wait till they are about half the size of your pinkie nail before transferring them to a bigger tank.
3. depends on the breed, but i know some are hermaphrodites so they can lay eggs without a male. i think triasics are Triops longicaudatus so yes, unless you are really "lucky" and the only triop you have is a rare male you will get viable eggs from your adult.
4. i am by no means familiar with live feadings but my bet would be when they are big enough for solid foods. i would not use live food in a hatching tank as it will probably eat the food the triops need to eat

i would also suggest checking around the internet and this forum for hatching guides, as the box set boxes often have iffy instructions. for example distilled water works best for hatching, as pure clean water sends the signal that it is time to hatch, and then you start adding spring water as it has minerals in it that the triops need to be healthy.

also, how big a tank do you got for them when they grow up?