First Zeppelin bomb dropped on England

7thLeicesters
Corporal

2:51 PM - Mar 18, 2009 #1

Not the first bomb (that happened on Christmas Day 1914 near Dover castle by a German seaplane), but the first of many Zeppelin bomb's to fall on the UK during WW1, dropped by Zeppelin L4, one of two incendiary's dropped on Sheringham, a small coastal town in north Norfolk. As you can see from the aerial map/photo, the bomb was only just inland, 100metres further north and would have landed on the beach. The plaque is on a house in Jordan's Yard, Wyndham Street

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid= ... 1&ct=title (the marker is almost exactly where I stood to take the photo of the yard)

The first Zeppelin raid on the UK came on the night of 19th/20th January 1915. Zeppelins L3 and L4 of the German Imperial Navy planned to bomb the Humber area, with L6, also of the German Imperial Navy, planning to bomb the Thames Estuary, but due to engine problems it turned back. This yard in Sheringham, on the north Norfolk coast, was hit by the first bomb dropped by a Zeppelin on Britain, however fortunately it did not explode, and was taken away by a local resident, who put the bomb in a bucket. Another bomb was also dropped on Sheringham which did detonate, leaving a small crater. The bombs were dropped by Zeppelin L4, which became lost and bombed several bombs near Kings Lynn and other Norfolk villages. L3 found Great Yarmouth and released its bombs there.

Part of the bomb is in the collections of Sheringham Museum, which re-opens in a much larger new building, including the RNLI Lifeboat which served during the First World War, at the end of 2009.

tootall
Sergeant
tootall
Sergeant

3:37 PM - Mar 18, 2009 #2

That is fasinating! This is a part of history I would like to read about.
Could you provide where to find more info on this?
I'm interested to know if any of the airships were used against the trenchs in the same way. I know the blimps were or gasbags.
This is another area of reading I would like to explore.
Thanks!

7thLeicesters
Corporal

4:18 PM - Mar 18, 2009 #3

I'm afraid that's the only information I have on this raid, however I can strongly reccomend these two books for more information - the first is "The Baby Killers: German Air Raids on Britain in the First World War" which also has a guide for the last half of the book of where you can see bomb damage etc and information on cities and towns in England and Scotland bombed in WW1. The other is "First Blitz" by Neil Hanson which concentrates on the bombing of Britain by aeroplanes, it's one of the best books i've read to do with the First World War

tootall
Sergeant
tootall
Sergeant

1:06 PM - Mar 19, 2009 #4

Thanks for the info :army: