Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm #3221

I've not read this, only heard of it just now. I offer it for those who are aficionados of both music and political thrillers.

Note there is a colon in the title. Since I'm unfamiliar with the book, I can't say whether this observance of a detestable convention can be relied upon as a good sign or a bad one.
--------------

Orfeo: A Novel, by Richard Powers

In Orfeo, composer Peter Els opens the door one evening to find the police on his doorstep. His home microbiology lab -- the latest experiment in his lifelong attempt to find music in surprising patterns -- has aroused the suspicions of Homeland Security. Panicked by the raid, Els turns fugitive and hatches a plan to transform this disastrous collision with the security state into an unforgettable work of art that will reawaken its audience to the sounds all around it.

https://www.amazon.com/Orfeo-Novel-Rich ... bemail2-20

ETA: It's on sale for $2.99.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 17th, 2018, 3:19 pm #3222

I found this list in the NPR website: 100 Best Horror Novels (as submitted by readers).

For the background: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/63277970 ... or-stories
For the list: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/63277970 ... bloodroots

I have only read some of these (which brought back delicious shivery memories), but sooo many of them look sooo good . . .

Notably two:

Never heard of this one. Uzumaki by Junji Ito. "Most people discovered him through his epic, novel-length manga, Uzumaki, about a town where everyone is obsessed with spirals. If you think that sounds harmless, then you don't know Junji Ito."

From Amazon: "Kurozu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed. According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral, the hypnotic secret shape of the world. It manifests itself in everything from seashells and whirlpools in water to the spiral marks on people's bodies, the insane obsessions of Shuichi's father and the voice from the cochlea in our inner ear. As the madness spreads, the inhabitants of Kurozu-cho are pulled ever deeper into a whirlpool from which there is no return!" It is actually a collection of short stories, all taking place in this town, and pulled together by the presence of the two teens.

So Japanese!

://www.amazon.com/Uzumaki-3-1-Deluxe-vols/ ... dpSrc=srch

And:

House of Leaves. The Universe keeps bringing this one to my attention, but I've not read it.
From Amazon: "The story [focuses] on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

"Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams."

O-o-o, yeah! :devilgrin:

https://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mar ... dpSrc=srch

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 18th, 2018, 6:47 am #3223

was gifted this for my bday a few weeks ago. actually was gifted the whole trilogy and waited for vacation to read. i had not heard of it before...

let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre. different style of writing from le carre, but completely gripping from the start.

author is a thirty year CIA veteran, so tradecraft (as in le carre, moscow rules etc..) plays a big part. really good read.

finished the first one, two more to go.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 18th, 2018, 11:53 am #3224

bachophile wrote:let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre. different style of writing from le carre, but completely gripping from the start
Ooohhh!
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

August 18th, 2018, 12:11 pm #3225

Just getting around to it. The kids got me a signed copy for my Christmas present.

Very good.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

August 18th, 2018, 12:11 pm #3226

George K wrote:
Reread or first time?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 18th, 2018, 12:16 pm #3227

Jolly wrote:Reread or first time?
First time. I re-read "Foundation" a few weeks ago, and realized I'd never read the prequels. It's a pretty easy read, but there's lots of filler. This could easily have been a novella, or even a short story.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 21st, 2018, 12:41 pm #3228

bachophile wrote:

was gifted this for my bday a few weeks ago. actually was gifted the whole trilogy and waited for vacation to read. i had not heard of it before...

let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre. different style of writing from le carre, but completely gripping from the start.

author is a thirty year CIA veteran, so tradecraft (as in le carre, moscow rules etc..) plays a big part. really good read.

Started this yesterday.

Well, it certainly gets off to a nice start - the old spy meets the young handler, and...

The author's language isn't as rich as Le Carre's, but his storytelling seems to be pretty good so far.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to getting into it as it progresses.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

August 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm #3229

Catseye3 wrote:I found this list in the NPR website: 100 Best Horror Novels (as submitted by readers).

For the background: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/63277970 ... or-stories
For the list: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/63277970 ... bloodroots

I have only read some of these (which brought back delicious shivery memories), but sooo many of them look sooo good . . .

Notably two:

Never heard of this one. Uzumaki by Junji Ito. "Most people discovered him through his epic, novel-length manga, Uzumaki, about a town where everyone is obsessed with spirals. If you think that sounds harmless, then you don't know Junji Ito."

From Amazon: "Kurozu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed. According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral, the hypnotic secret shape of the world. It manifests itself in everything from seashells and whirlpools in water to the spiral marks on people's bodies, the insane obsessions of Shuichi's father and the voice from the cochlea in our inner ear. As the madness spreads, the inhabitants of Kurozu-cho are pulled ever deeper into a whirlpool from which there is no return!" It is actually a collection of short stories, all taking place in this town, and pulled together by the presence of the two teens.

So Japanese!

://www.amazon.com/Uzumaki-3-1-Deluxe-vols/ ... dpSrc=srch

And:

House of Leaves. The Universe keeps bringing this one to my attention, but I've not read it.
From Amazon: "The story [focuses] on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

"Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams."

O-o-o, yeah! :devilgrin:

https://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mar ... dpSrc=srch
Don't do horror. Books or movies.

Seen enough real stuff in life.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 21st, 2018, 4:55 pm #3230

George K wrote:
bachophile wrote:

Started this yesterday.

Well, it certainly gets off to a nice start - the old spy meets the young handler, and...

The author's language isn't as rich as Le Carre's, but his storytelling seems to be pretty good so far.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to getting into it as it progresses.
A lot more graphic sexually.

But I got into the authenticity, and the plot twists are very clever.

No, not le carre. But good spy fare. And an interesting take on Putin.

"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 21st, 2018, 5:01 pm #3231

bachophile wrote:But good spy fare.
I had never heard of spy dust until I started this book.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 21st, 2018, 5:30 pm #3232

I didn’t know that a spy can walk around for twelve hours making sure he is “black”(no surveillance) before doing whatever he has to do.

I mean it makes sense, but I never thought about it practically.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 22nd, 2018, 10:31 pm #3233

bachophile wrote:let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre
Damn...

I mean GOD DAMN!

Still only at the beginning, but it reminds me of Stephen King's style in "Salem's Lot." All this stuff, hung out on the tree, and it'll be quite the tale to see how they all connect.

Thanks for the recommendation. This is a hell of a lot of fun.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 23rd, 2018, 5:25 am #3234

Just finished this:

It’s a recent book, covering the disaster and the entire aftermath, including the eventual exoneration of the Captain and Paul Allen’s discovery of the wreckage.

Very well written, engaging throughout. Those of you who ever read books like this - put it on your list. You won’t be disappointed.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 23rd, 2018, 5:28 am #3235

Now reading this. 6th London edition, the final one edited by Darwin himself. Free from Project Gutenberg.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 23rd, 2018, 7:06 am #3236

Jon thanks for the recommendation. I love these non fictions. And especially sea tales.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 23rd, 2018, 7:07 am #3237

George K wrote:
bachophile wrote:let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre
Damn...

I mean GOD DAMN!

Still only at the beginning, but it reminds me of Stephen King's style in "Salem's Lot." All this stuff, hung out on the tree, and it'll be quite the tale to see how they all connect.

Thanks for the recommendation. This is a hell of a lot of fun.
And it's a trilogy so u can have LOTS of fun

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 28th, 2018, 2:37 pm #3238

Quick, before Jon comes back . . . here are 9 books "that destroy New York City as we know it", subtitled "Light reading for when escape is not an option."

From Paul Auster's In the Country of Last Things:  
A street you walked down yesterday is no longer there today,” our narrator Anna tells us. Rubble is everywhere. “You must learn how to manage the unseen furrows, the sudden clusters of rocks, the shallow ruts, so that you do not stumble or hurt yourself. And then there are the tolls, these worst of all, and you must use cunning to avoid them.” Men have built barricades out of fallen buildings and piles of rock, and “they mount them, with clubs, or rifles, or bricks, and wait on their perches for people to pass by.” 

https://lithub.com/9-books-that-destroy ... e-know-it/

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 1st, 2018, 5:01 pm #3239

Bullshit Jobs:  A Theory

From bestselling writer David Graeber, a powerful argument against the rise of meaningless, unfulfilling jobs, and their consequences.

There are millions of people -- HR consultants, communication coordinators, telemarketing researchers, corporate lawyers -- whose jobs are useless and, tragically, they know it.  These people are caught in bullshit jobs.

Graeber explores one of society’s most vexing and deeply felt concerns, indicting among other villains a particular strain of finance capitalism that betrays ideals shared by thinkers ranging from Keynes to Lincoln. [i]Bullshit Jobs[/i] gives individuals, corporations, and societies permission to undergo a shift in values, placing creative and caring work at the center of our culture. This book is for everyone who wants to turn their vocation back into an avocation.

www.amazon.com/Bullshit-Jobs-Theory-Dav ... 075RWG7YM/

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 1st, 2018, 5:02 pm #3240

Sounds like a publisher blurb.  What do *you* think of it?