Rainman
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Fulla-Carp

July 28th, 2018, 3:44 am #3201

I have been intrigued with these real-life autobiographically based books on WWII. From the South Pacific, to Europe. What it was like.

I am starting to get a bit tired of it, but I will complete this one, since my father-in-law was in Monte Cassino, Anzio, and in the Ardennes for the Battle of the Bulge. My Dad was in the Wehrmacht.

What a complete fvcking waste war is.

I have decided not to invade Canada after all.

You can all go back to your plows. I'll post when I need you.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

July 28th, 2018, 5:57 am #3202

getting into the garbage summer read mood

in tuscany i suspect it will only be trash like this
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 28th, 2018, 10:41 am #3203

Rainman wrote:My Dad was in the Wehrmacht.
No sh1t?

Was he German, or a citizen of some country that became subject to the Nazis?
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm #3204

Bookbub notified me it was offering a deal on a wishlist book I listed with them, so Ima buy it:

The Art of Grace by Sarah L. Kaufman.

"Grace is being at ease with the world, even when life tosses wine down your pants. (Ref to an earlier bit.)

"Whether you perceive grace in a moment of startling compassion, in Roger Federer's miraculous forehand, or even in the minute-by-minute harmony of line cooks during the dinner rush, witnessing it pleases the senses, brightens the mood, and inspires a feeling of ease."

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Grace-Moving ... t+of+grace

Rainman
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Fulla-Carp

July 28th, 2018, 4:23 pm #3205

jon-nyc wrote:
No sh1t?

Estonian.
Join, or we shoot you.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

July 28th, 2018, 9:46 pm #3206

I cite irreconcilable differences.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

July 28th, 2018, 10:09 pm #3207

Rainman wrote:
jon-nyc wrote:
No sh1t?

Estonian.
Join, or we shoot you.
The little Lithuanian thorn in the Germans' side.

My uncle narrowly avoided being drafted into the SS. He spent some time incarcerated somewhere or another and managed to get out alive. Even shot his own trigger finger off, hoping it would disqualify him from service.....still managed to play a pretty mean piano without it....
PSA: The ignore function works on the new platform.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 1st, 2018, 11:37 am #3208

George K wrote:Started this this afternoon:

Just got through the introduction, and it's pretty engrossing. Having finished Volume 2 of Ambrose's "Nixon," this might make for some juicy reading.
I found "The Brethren" a bit too much "inside baseball." After about half the book, I found the machinations of dealmaking among the justices to be a bit tiresome, and found myself glossing over a lot of it. Nevertheless, some of the intrigues, particularly with respect to Burger's approach to things got me. The story of Douglas's stroke was fascinating as well. I'm glad I finally finished it (while I was in Minot ND).
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 1st, 2018, 12:21 pm #3209

Note the author. The master of the witty aphorism discussing the dead god of the witty aphorism.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 1st, 2018, 12:31 pm #3210

jon-nyc wrote:Note the author. The master of the witty aphorism discussing the dead god of the witty aphorism.

Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

Hm, I guess I can't be expected to know that as a proud member of the booboisie.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

August 1st, 2018, 12:36 pm #3211

Catseye3 wrote:Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

Hm, I guess I can't be expected to know that as a proud member of the booboisie.
He really was. I think the way in which he said everything (and the content of about half of what he said) had a lot more to do with amusing himself than actual clarity.

Thanks, jon! On the list for me. Mencken's the man.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 1st, 2018, 12:41 pm #3212

Aqua Letifer wrote:
Catseye3 wrote:Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

He really was. I think the way in which he said everything (and the content of about half of what he said) had a lot more to do with amusing himself than actual clarity.

Thanks, jon! On the list for me. Mencken's the man.
Well, hey, here's one: "Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."

Yesirree. :D

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

August 2nd, 2018, 11:41 pm #3213

Okay, so this is a hell of a lot of fun.

Pink Floyd told ambiguous stories with their concept albums but left you to fill in the gaps. Iron Maiden sings about stories like Brave New World or "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," but that's just their interpretation of a pre-existing story. This is very different. And weird. And awesome.

Clockwork Angels is a later Rush album. It stands out for a couple of reasons:
  • It's actually a concept album; kinda rare for these guys.
  • Musically, it's all over the place, even for Rush.
  • Not in terms of technicality or musicality, but lyrically and in terms of storytelling, it's pretty ambitious. "I intend it to be my highest achievement," Peart said about the lyrics.
  • So about those lyrics... it's also a novel.
What I'm doing is listening to the audiobook novel chapters (by the way, Peart does the reading), and then going back and listening to the album tracks that correspond to the chapter.

Which is incredibly weird.

It kind of reminds me of those interactive lessons you're given in grade school, where you watch a thing and then you're given a worksheet afterward that encourages you to apply what you've learned. But in terms of style, the two don't really match up. Like at all.

The novel is like any other Special Orphan story you've ever read, only less edgy. It's LotR if Sauron was just a crotchety guy who graffitis the city walls instead of waging war on mankind itself. It's Harry Potter going off to wizard school but he and Voldemort kinda know each other and agree to disagree. But it works pretty well as a young adult novel.

The album, though, is of course not that, because that's not what Rush does. They're not Paramore; they're prog rock/proto-metal. The songs and lyrics absolutely correspond to the plot of the book, and tell the exact same story, but the feel of it is completely different.

Because I start with the chapters first, the novel sounds kinda Harry-Pottery. When I listen to the album tracks as I get to that part of the book, they sound like Terry Gilliam on a bad acid trip trying to make Harry Potter.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 6th, 2018, 3:17 pm #3214

Aqua - I’m only half way through with the Mencken but it’s excellent. It starts with a biography, then goes into the philosophy. But it doesn’t just present it, he talks in very straightforward terms how Nietzsche got there. It’s like he derives it for you from Neitzsche’s axioms.

Cats - I didn’t seek out a secondary source on Nietzsche, rather I just wanted to read some Mencken, and when I went to see what Project Gutenberg had, this caught my eye.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

August 6th, 2018, 3:39 pm #3215

jon-nyc wrote:Cats - I didn't seek out a secondary source on Nietzsche, rather I just wanted to read some Mencken, and when I went to see what Project Gutenberg had, this caught my eye.
So I guess you were pretty surprised too, huh? :lol:

Capt. Guts
Advanced Member
Capt. Guts
Advanced Member

August 6th, 2018, 3:49 pm #3216

The Redneck Chronicles

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

August 7th, 2018, 9:37 am #3217

bachophile wrote:

getting into the garbage summer read mood

in tuscany i suspect it will only be trash like this
pretty dissapointing

bill should find a different summer job

now on dan browns origin...

more garbagio
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2018, 4:03 am #3218

Between this and The Case Against Education, this guy's one of my favorite thinkers.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2018, 10:58 am #3219

He blogs at econlog.

Maybe have your brother introduce you.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2018, 8:03 pm #3220

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18