Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 8th, 2018, 12:19 pm #3181

Red Rice wrote:Yes, that's a classic... read that in high school. Read MacLean's "HMS Ulysses" around the same time. Loved them both. (First time I visited HMS Belfast in London, I kept visualizing scenes from "HMS Ulysses")
Good to see you around.

How's life?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

kluurs
Fulla-Carp
kluurs
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 3:31 am #3182

Rereading some of this - and some is new.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:20 pm #3183

jon-nyc wrote:]
Excellent read. Very detailed, occasionally too much, but overall a joy to read. I will move on to volumes II and II with breaks in between.

One complaint - he spends a bit too much time complaining about all the biographers before him that got stuff wrong. At one point about 1/4 of the way in I thought 'who's he writing this for, the other 10 or so living Liszt biographers?'

But it really doesn't detract that much. Overall a good read.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:22 pm #3184

I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 10th, 2018, 10:08 pm #3185

Something happened, and I can no longer post images. I just started this:

Hammer Head by Nina McLaughlin

"Hammer Head is the story of a young woman who quit her desk job to become a carpenter. Writing with infectious curiosity, Nina MacLaughlin--a Classics major who couldn't tell a Phillips from a flathead screwdriver--describes the joys and frustrations of making things by hand. Filled with the wisdom of writers from Ovid to Mary Oliver and MacLaughlin's own memorable accounts of working with wood, unfamiliar tools, and her unforgettable mentor, Hammer Head is a passionate book full of sweat, bashed thumbs, and a deep sense of finding real meaning in work and life.

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
sue
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 11:16 pm #3186

That sounds like a good read, Catseye. Let us know how you liked it.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 11:22 pm #3187

Finished "Spymaster."

Thinking of picking up Asimov's "Foundation." It's been decades...
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 10th, 2018, 11:47 pm #3188

sue wrote:That sounds like a good read, Catseye. Let us know how you liked it.
So far I'm loving it. Her style reflects an intense observance of everything around her, very interestingly expressed. She makes you want to see what she sees, think about things in your life with the same mindfulness. It is like a drink of cool water, in this age where every minute of your attention is lambasted with hundreds of images, hundreds of thoughts. Too much!

Her first exposure to the carpentry work was in a tryout afternoon with the woman who became her employer. They laid tile in a bathroom. At the end: "Concrete actions: First this, then this. Measure, mark, cut. The sounds of the saw, the spray, the cold dry tile, the wet cut tile, my body positioned in front of the saw, eyes locked on the line, everything else -- time and language -- evaporated in the concentration, in the physical act of doing . . . Here, with the tiles, each one had its place, part of the whole, each measurement had a purpose, each cut. It was repetitive, yes, but somehow not boring. Even if you cut thousands of tiles, even if you spent a year at the tile saw, you'd still have to pay attention. Every time. You'd get faster. You'd get better -- straighter cuts, less jamming of the blade -- but you'd still have to focus. The repetition with the tiles provoked presence, a specific physical hereness."

That is great, to me. I can't say why; it's like you love a painting but can't analyze why. It's what I need right now.

You know what? This reminds me of your jewelry making. :)

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
sue
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 12:37 am #3189

Catseye3 wrote:You know what? This reminds me of your jewelry making. :)
:wave: that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm gonna read that book.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 11th, 2018, 2:23 pm #3190

Suggested for the musicians among us:

The Soloist

"The inspiring true story that inspired the major motion picture.

"The New York Times bestselling "unforgettable tale of hope, heart and humanity" (People)

"Journalist Steve Lopez' discovery of Nathaniel Ayers, a former classical bass student at Julliard, playing his heart out on a two-string violin on Los Angeles' Skid Row. Deeply affected by the beauty of Ayers's music, Lopez took it upon himself to change the prodigy's life -- only to find that their relationship would have a profound change on his own."

https://www.amazon.com/Soloist-Movie-Ti ... he+soloist

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 9:28 pm #3191

George K wrote:Finished "Spymaster."

Thinking of picking up Asimov's "Foundation." It's been decades...
Yup. Started "Foundation" today. About halfway done with the first book.

What fun!

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 16th, 2018, 10:20 am #3192

jon-nyc wrote:I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.

My gosh this was just an exceptional book. Part history, part sociology, part personal memoir. And the writing! Just amazing. I'm tempted to post samples. I'll be reading more of him.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 16th, 2018, 10:21 am #3193

This is a collection of essays. I'm interested in reading those by Washington, Du Bois, and Dunbar. So it should be a relatively quick read.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 16th, 2018, 10:24 am #3194

The book American Collosus spent a fair bit of time on Booker T Washington. He seemed quite fascinating and admirable.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 27th, 2018, 9:54 pm #3195

Book #7 in "The Expanse" series.

Getting very interesting...

"An old enemy returns.

In the thousand-sun network of humanity's expansion, new colony worlds are struggling to find their way. Every new planet lives on a knife edge between collapse and wonder, and the crew of the aging gunship Rocinante have their hands more than full keeping the fragile peace.

In the vast space between Earth and Jupiter, the inner planets and belt have formed a tentative and uncertain alliance still haunted by a history of wars and prejudices. On the lost colony world of Laconia, a hidden enemy has a new vision for all of humanity and the power to enforce it.

New technologies clash with old as the history of human conflict returns to its ancient patterns of war and subjugation. But human nature is not the only enemy, and the forces being unleashed have their own price. A price that will change the shape of humanity -- and of the Rocinante -- unexpectedly and forever..."

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 27th, 2018, 10:35 pm #3196

jon-nyc wrote:
jon-nyc wrote:]
Excellent read. Very detailed, occasionally too much, but overall a joy to read. I will move on to volumes II and II with breaks in between.

One complaint - he spends a bit too much time complaining about all the biographers before him that got stuff wrong. At one point about 1/4 of the way in I thought 'who's he writing this for, the other 10 or so living Liszt biographers?'

But it really doesn't detract that much. Overall a good read.
Just bought this for holiday reading.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 27th, 2018, 10:49 pm #3197

In German I assume?

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 27th, 2018, 10:56 pm #3198

There's no German translation.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 28th, 2018, 1:40 am #3199

I'll read Vol 2 after I finish this:

I'm maybe half way through this. It's quite interesting. It's a history of 'the negro race'. Lots of great detail about African history that I didn't know except in the broadest of outlines. Now that I'm approaching the second half he's getting into more modern history, the slave trade and emancipation in various countries in the world. (the book is global in scope, not just US).

Rainman
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Fulla-Carp

July 28th, 2018, 3:33 am #3200

Finished it a while back: