bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

8:01 AM - Sep 10, 2016 #2561

im in the last few chapters of 11.22.63, after being recommended here...and while i usually plan out what my next book will be towards the end of the current, (i have this fetish to always read the first few pages of the next book on the day i finish the previous, so i never go a day not being in a book) i have been come over with an overwhelming desire to reread the lord of the rings trilogy. now I've read it before, and seen the movies of course in countless reruns, but its been probably 30 years since i tackled the original from cover to cover, so i think thats next on the list.

mordor, here i come.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

3:22 PM - Sep 10, 2016 #2562

:smile:

Sounds most rad. LotR proper, or the ancillary stories as well?
I cite irreconcilable differences.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

3:38 PM - Sep 10, 2016 #2563

No just the trilogy.

Skipping the hobbit and the other spin offs. Silmaralon.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

7:06 PM - Sep 10, 2016 #2564

It's trilogy envy. You listened to LW and I talk about our trilogies and you got jealous.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Catseye
Pisa-Carp
Catseye
Pisa-Carp

3:19 PM - Sep 11, 2016 #2565

Recommended by the Farnham Street Newsletter. I'm not reading it now, but I plan to.

The Sovereign Individual (is the title)

The book, which argues "the information revolution will destroy the monopoly power of the nation-state as surely as the Gunpowder Revolution destroyed the Church's monopoly," is making the rounds in Silicon Valley and being passed around like candy. Even if its forecasts are controversial, the book is a good read and it's full of interesting and detailed arguments. I have underlines on nearly every page.

"Information societies," the authors write, "promise to dramatically reduce the returns to violence ... When the payoff for organizing violence at a large scale tumbles, the payoff from violence at a smaller scale is likely to jump. Violence will become more random and localized." The Sovereign Individual, who, for the first time "can educate and motivate himself," will be "almost entirely free to invest their own work and realize the full benefits of their own productivity." An unleashing of human potential which will, the authors argue, shift the greatest source of wealth to ideas rather than physical capital - "anyone who thinks clearly will potentially be rich." Interestingly, in this potential transition, the effects are "likely to be centered among those of the middle talent in currently rich countries. They particularly may come to feel that information technology poses a threat to their way of life."

The book predicts the death of politics, "weakened by the challenge from technology, the state will treat increasingly autonomous individuals, its former citizens, with the same range of ruthlessness and diplomacy it has heretofore displayed in its dealings with other governments." As technology reshapes the world, it also "antiquates laws, reshapes morals, and alters preconceptions. This book explains how."
"How awful a knowledge of the truth can be." -- Sophocles, Oedipus Rex

Catseye
Pisa-Carp
Catseye
Pisa-Carp

3:22 PM - Sep 11, 2016 #2566

Also from the Farnham Street Newsletter:

Utopia Is Creepy and Other Provocations

Nicholas Carr has been on my must-read list since his book The Shallows drew me into the way he writes. Utopia Is Creepy gathers a decade's worth of posts and essays from Carr's Blog (RoughType.com). It's almost a counter-weight to the Silicon Valley sense that technology produces a paradise of prosperity and convenience. Carr argues that we're forgetting ourselves. "Resistance is never futile," he argues. The book is worth a quick look, especially when Carr discusses the fate of reading, which is when he's at his best.

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

5:49 PM - Sep 11, 2016 #2567

jon-nyc wrote:It's trilogy envy. You listened to LW and I talk about our trilogies and you got jealous.

you r nothing but a trilobite

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

11:49 PM - Sep 15, 2016 #2568

On to Carter. These last two (Ford and Carter) have been short, single volume bios from the American Presidents series. I generally avoid the series and look for something meatier, but with Ford and Carter I didn't find another book that looked good and balanced. The more recent the president, the harder that seems to be.

Catseye
Pisa-Carp
Catseye
Pisa-Carp

12:35 AM - Sep 16, 2016 #2569

jon-nyc wrote:On to Carter. These last two (Ford and Carter) have been short, single volume bios from the American Presidents series. I generally avoid the series and look for something meatier, but with Ford and Carter I didn't find another book that looked good and balanced. The more recent the president, the harder that seems to be.

That was the series from which I took my Rutherford Hayes bio! It was just what I was looking for, as my interest was not so much Hayes as his time in the whole saga. Not too long, not too short.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

12:46 AM - Sep 16, 2016 #2570

I also read Zach Taylor from that series. The author was Eisenhower's son.

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
sue
HOLY CARP!!!

6:48 PM - Sep 19, 2016 #2571

I love stuff like this, observations of people in public spaces. I really wonder how different the findings would be now, as opposed to the 1980 date of this work. Now that most people in these spaces (he focuses on plazas mostly) are glued to their smart phones, have our space needs/desires changed....do we want different things from our public spaces?

Catseye
Pisa-Carp
Catseye
Pisa-Carp

7:03 PM - Sep 19, 2016 #2572

Interesting and a little bizarre to think about . . . maybe we need to discourage the practice of sitting amongst these spaces and seeing nothing and experiencing nothing beyond the phone screen and the Pokemon.

"Oh, look at that beautiful arrangement of yellow mums!"

"What yellow mums? Oh, yeah . . . they look more orange on my screen here . . . "

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
sue
HOLY CARP!!!

7:13 PM - Sep 19, 2016 #2573

:lol2:

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

7:34 PM - Sep 19, 2016 #2574

sue wrote:

I love stuff like this, observations of people in public spaces. I really wonder how different the findings would be now, as opposed to the 1980 date of this work. Now that most people in these spaces (he focuses on plazas mostly) are glued to their smart phones, have our space needs/desires changed....do we want different things from our public spaces?
Good question; I'd probably say so, yeah. I'm sure a lot of people today would prefer an indoor venue to sit with free wifi over a public park.

I wonder how many people actually try to establish social rules for themselves. For me, I try to make it a rule that if I'm outdoors—that includes just taking a trip to the store or sitting outside—my freaking phone is off. And if I'm speaking with someone in person, the phone doesn't come out. (I'm good about the first one, about 50/50 on the second.)

A very common thing now is to use the phone as a crutch and a way of distancing yourself from the present, because you're too socially retarded to deal with your surroundings. Is the thought of being in an elevator with a stranger emotionally excruciating because you just don't know whether or not to say hello? Your phone can certainly save you!
I cite irreconcilable differences.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

8:15 PM - Sep 19, 2016 #2575

jon-nyc wrote:
George K wrote:On your recommendation, I just bought Vol 1.
:thumb:
Just started it this morning, and I'm up to where he joins the Navy, having worked at OPA. Remarkably readable and engaging book. Interesting how, even as a youth, he was as distant and awkward as we perceived him to be (Oxfords on the beach? Really?).

Enjoying it very much so far, but I think I'll put off volumes II and III for a while after I finish. One can only have so much Nixon at a stretch.
"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

A guide to GKSR: Click

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

12:13 AM - Sep 20, 2016 #2576

I love the quote from his mother, after he became VP, talking about his childhood: "he was the kind of boy you would call Richard".

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

10:15 PM - Sep 21, 2016 #2577

Thanks, again, Jon, for the recommendation. It's fabulous, and I'm only about ¼ of the way through (he just won the Senate). I'm beginning to understand the complexity that this man was. Ambrose's style is so conversational and easy to follow, unlike others.
"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

A guide to GKSR: Click

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

12:45 AM - Sep 22, 2016 #2578

Yep, he sure is a good read. I will definitely read his Eisenhower set as well.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

8:55 AM - Sep 22, 2016 #2579

Now on to Reagan. It's not easy finding a decent biography of the man. Most are too partisan, and/or narrowly focused. This one seems promising, it's pretty recent and the author has published on other presidents as well.

Catseye
Pisa-Carp
Catseye
Pisa-Carp

10:12 AM - Sep 22, 2016 #2580

Don't know how predictive it is as to content, but I like the cover design: Very minimalist and forthright.