Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 12:00 pm #1

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

October 9th, 2017, 12:34 pm #2

That's just the ueber-stupid crap that makes it to the airways.

My greatest fear is that Trump is not an anomaly.

We had Clinton, then we had Obama, a step down from Clinton, and now we have Trump, a further step down in the 'fall' part of the 'rise and fall'. In what I fear is an logical, unavoidable pattern, if Trump hadn't announced, some other destructive madclown would have stepped up because, as Copper was fond of saying during the election, it is historical. I think he meant inevitable, and that is what I greatly fear Trump is. If I'm right, I dread finding out who will be the next president. Is Howard Stern too old?

Are we done? I think we may be. Barring a miracle, I think we may have passed the point of no return, and all that's left is the fiddling.

If there is any hope of survival, we absolutely must stop cordoning off and blaming each other, and instead face the unpalatable truth that we are all to blame in one way or another, neither side more than the other, and figure out a way to work together. If you disagree, then by all means keep on wasting your priceless substance on inessentials like the NFL flap.

I see no indication that this will happen.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 1:04 pm #3

It's all cyclical.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 1:41 pm #4

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm #5

Obviously the companies that are the target of such campaigns try to minimize damage, hence I don't necessarily blame them (this is just good old capitalism). However, I wonder whether this reaction does actually minimize their damage, because many people are pi$$ed off by over-the-top PC. I'd have loved to be in the meeting where they discussed what to do.

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 2:51 pm #6

In other news, I read today that a fireman in Detroit was fired for bringing a watermelon because it was "racially insensitive".

I completely fail to understand that watermelons have to do with race.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 2:57 pm #7

If only those critics could hear the conversations that go on in advertising offices about diversity.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 3:13 pm #8

Klaus wrote: I completely fail to understand that watermelons have to do with race.
Most tribes have some ethnic food that becomes a stereotype. Spaghetti or Yorkshire Pudding for example.

For the most part I don't think this stereotype is good or bad.

I think recently that anything that could be seen as African-American before the enlightenment has become sensitive.

When was the enlightenment? I'm not sure, but it was recent - the last few decades.

Before the enlightenment part of the African-American stereotype was a taste for watermelons.

I think improper use of a watermelon is a minor transgression.

Improper use of cotton has recently been a more serious problem.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

October 9th, 2017, 3:41 pm #9

Klaus wrote:In other news, I read today that a fireman in Detroit was fired for bringing a watermelon because it was "racially insensitive".

I completely fail to understand that watermelons have to do with race.
From Breitbart (which I landed on totally by accident):

"Fire Commissioner Eric Jones said in a statement that Pattison was officially discharged:

There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department. After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee.

Despite Commissioner Jones’s statement, McCarty does not think Pattison should have lost his job over a watermelon.

"I don’t think so," McCarty said. "Between what he did and what was there are a few things that could have been done."

And! Not only that . . . "Pattison, who was a probationary firefighter, decided to stand out from the crowd and bring a watermelon with a pink bow on top."

Showing insensitivity to breast cancer! Firing was too good for him!

Of course, you know what this means, right? We have to outlaw watermelons. Serving watermelon is racist. Not serving watermelon for fear of giving offense is racist. There is no solution. Watermelons must go.

We need a new word to signify a combination of over-the-top stupid and insane, both.

What I wrote earlier this morning? Forget it. This country fracking deserves what it gets. :mad2:

ETA: Maybe it's fake news?

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 4:07 pm #10

I love watermelon. Fried chicken, too.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

October 9th, 2017, 4:08 pm #11

Mikhailoh wrote:I love watermelon. Fried chicken, too.
Well, yer outta luck, whitebread.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

October 9th, 2017, 4:41 pm #12

On second thought:

Maybe the brass had no choice but to fire the new guy for his own safety.

Firefighters operate on the buddy system in dangerous situations, each one watching his buddy's back. Would the dope who complained about the watermelon set aside his hurt feelings and see to the new guy's safety in a dicey scenario? Could the new guy have trusted him to do that? Or any of the others? If not, then what? He should stay in the stationhouse the whole time?

Maybe the guy was doomed the minute the dope raised the whole watermelon issue.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 4:47 pm #13

Catseye3 wrote:
On the other hand it is difficult to imagine taking a whole watermelon to work. I am wondering if there is not more to this story than meets the eye. :lol2:

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 5:36 pm #14

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm #15

Mikhailoh wrote:
Catseye3 wrote:
On the other hand it is difficult to imagine taking a whole watermelon to work. I am wondering if there is not more to this story than meets the eye. :lol2:
I was thinking so as well, but:http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... to-station

It was his first day, there no previous jokes...
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

October 9th, 2017, 9:35 pm #16

There's plenty of touchiness and offense being taken on all sides of the political spectrum - and I don't think Trump will affect this situation for the better at all.

There's a massive lack of perspective in politics. Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.

Automation, human capital competitiveness, innovation, efficient education and health spending, new energy, etc. - it's not that there's not a strategy for these things, there's no dialogue.

It's all about dividing up the pie - very few are talking about how we ensure we have the best pie going forward, that part is just taken as a religious axiom.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

October 9th, 2017, 9:54 pm #17

wrote:Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.
:thumb:

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 10:08 pm #18

xenon wrote: Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.
By whom?
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

October 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm #19

There's really something wrong with his brain.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

October 9th, 2017, 10:58 pm #20

Hey Larry - if you have a smartphone - you can set a reminder every day to untwist your panties.