USA-DPRK Summit Joint Statement

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

1:55 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #1

Joint statement from the USA-DPRK summit.

Source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... re-summit/
wrote:President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a first, historic summit in Singapore on June 12, 2018.

President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth, and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new U.S.–DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Convinced that the establishment of new U.S.–DPRK relations will contribute to the peace and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and of the world, and recognizing that mutual confidence building can promote the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un state the following:
  1. The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.–DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
  2. The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
  3. Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
    The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering
  4. POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.
Having acknowledged that the U.S.–DPRK summit—the first in history—was an epochal event of great significance in overcoming decades of tensions and hostilities between the two countries and for the opening up of a new future, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un commit to implement the stipulations in this joint statement fully and expeditiously. The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations, led by the U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the U.S.–DPRK summit.

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea have committed to cooperate for the development of new U.S.–DPRK relations and for the promotion of peace, prosperity, and security of the Korean Peninsula and of the world.

DONALD J. TRUMP
President of the United States of America

KIM JONG UN
Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

June 12, 2018
Sentosa Island
Singapore

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

2:10 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #2

All this WAS accomplished on June 18?

I love it. If things don't go as predicted in this statement, Ima be very interested in how the White House extricates itself.

Unless I'm as dumb as Trump thinks I am, and I'm missing some vital point.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

2:13 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #3

Historical USA-DPRK join statement from 1993:

http://nautilus.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... rk_usa.pdf

Compared to the 2018 joint statement, the 2018 statement has an item about recovering/repatriating MIA/POW remains that's not present in the 1993 statement. While that is not directly related to denuclearization, I think that is important for the MIA/POW's families and an important signal for our armed services members.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

2:15 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #4

Are you going to be equally interested in how all the Trump haters who predicted his abject failure are going to extricate themselves from the stupid sh!t they've said?

How about when Krugman predicted Trump would throw the economy into a "Great Recession"? Seen anyone hold his feet to the fire?
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

2:27 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #5

Think about Kim's position. He has an ever more affluent China on his one border, a very affluent South Korea on the other. Clamping down on information is increasingly difficult, so keeping his people in the dark is probably not a viable long term strategy. Perhaps he sees an opportunity to be a real hero of his people rather than a villified despot in the history books.

After all, what he is, or should be anyway, really afraid of is his own people.

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

2:27 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #6

I hope this goes well, but I'll defer my judgement until the words are turned into actions.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

2:37 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #7

Larry wrote:Are you going to be equally interested in how all the Trump haters who predicted his abject failure are going to extricate themselves from the stupid sh!t they've said?

How about when Krugman predicted Trump would throw the economy into a "Great Recession"? Seen anyone hold his feet to the fire?
This will always be the greatest set of predictions about the Trump presidency.

He's a genius historian, so he must be right. We'll just have to wait longer.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

3:00 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #8

Mikhailoh wrote:Think about Kim's position. He has an ever more affluent China on his one border, a very affluent South Korea on the other. Clamping down on information is increasingly difficult, so keeping his people in the dark is probably not a viable long term strategy. Perhaps he sees an opportunity to be a real hero of his people rather than a villified despot in the history books.

After all, what he is, or should be anyway, really afraid of is his own people.
Another thing to consider...Kim has been letting many of his folks work in China. How can you keep them down on the farm, once they've seen Paree?

And something else...Kim was seeking military assurances. Historically, the Chinese and the Koreans have not been the best of friends. Maybe he gets a two-fer...If he de-nukes, he gets the U.S. nukes pulled out of South Korea and he gets protection from China...Plus, he get normalization. Just look at what's going on in Vietnam in the last several years. Because of cheap labor and proximity to South Korea, he could elevate his country's standard of living tremendously, while trying to maintain a communist government such as Vietnam or China.

Like Klaus, it's a wait and see deal, but there are certainly carrots lying around to goad Kim into action...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

3:02 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #9

Not to mention that a more prosperous DPRK would surely line his pockets better as well. Perhaps he sees a better future as an oligarch than a dictator.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

3:05 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #10

I want dates and times on these things.

And alternatives if the dates aren't met.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

4:01 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #11

Jonah Goldberg's take:

It’s a success if:
  • You think a general improvement of relations with North Korea is a desirable end in itself.
  • You care deeply and sincerely about the return of American remains from the Korean War (by the way, we pay the North Koreans about $1 million for each set of remains, so this isn’t quite the “goodwill” gesture it’s being made out to be).
  • You think we were in fact on the brink of war during the whole “fire and fury” chapter and that talking is always preferable to fighting.
  • You think North Korea deserves to be welcomed back into the community of nations and be seen as a co-equal nation with the United States of America.
  • You think any spectacle where Trump dominates the news coverage is good.
  • You’re Dennis Rodman.
  • You’re a Republican strategist eager to keep the peacemaker story through the midterms.
  • You’re Kim Jong-un.
Its a failure if:
  • You thought the international opprobrium on North Korea was well-deserved and maintaining pressure on the regime was a valuable and correct policy.
  • You think an American president heaping praise on an evil dictator in exchange for worthless promises is grotesque.
  • You thought Trump could simply walk into a room and charm North Korea out of its nuclear weapons.
  • You place a high value on the issue of human rights and the evils of the North Korean gulag.
  • You think U.S.–South Korea military exercises are too valuable a chip to trade for more implausible promises (though in fairness, there’s plenty of time to restart them on schedule, so this may have been a clever and costless chip — though not informing the Pentagon about this in advance strikes me as ill-advised).
  • You cringe when you watch this sort of thing.

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

A guide to GKSR: Click

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

4:08 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #12

So you think Jonah voted thumbs down? :lol2:
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

4:52 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #13

wrote:Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
nice title
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

4:53 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #14

COTSACOTDPRK

but u can call him, d'prick, for short
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

5:11 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #15

Copper wrote:I want dates and times on these things.

And alternatives if the dates aren't met.
Assumimg you're referring to the various points articulated in the 2018 USA-DPRK summit joint statement, then yes, I want the same.

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

10:19 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #16

We can all be critics, that’s the easy part. The tingle up the leg is so yesterday. Let’s see if the media returns to that state of bliss if/when their person is in power.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

10:36 PM - Jun 12, 2018 #17

taiwan_girl
Fulla-Carp

2:17 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #18

The information on the DPRK-US meting has been announced and printed in the DPRK Workers Party newspaper (Rodong Shimun).

In that paper (Korean language), Chairman Kim is always printed first and the DPRK is always printed first, rather that the other way around in the US English version. Same with the joint statement.

Also, in commentary, Rodong Shimun said that President Trump told Chairman Kim that the US would stop the war games with Republic of Korea, provide security guarantees for the DPRK, and move to reduce the sanctions.

So, it appears that they are being quite accurate in that reporting.

kluurs
Fulla-Carp
kluurs
Fulla-Carp

3:57 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #19

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

6:52 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #20

So Trump said, Kim Jong Un is "smart", "loves his country" and "loves his people".

Compare that to his rhetoric at the G7 summit towards the leaders of the G7 countries.

What. The. Fvck.