Uniform

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 9:32 pm #1

I had lunch today with 3 guys that I played basketball with 45 years ago. We haven’t been together in at least 41 years.

I said “Is it hot in here for you guys?” “Do you mind if I take my shirt off?”

This was in a nice restaurant.

They thought I had lost my mind until they saw I was wearing a 45 year old uniform underneath. They loved it.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 10:08 pm #2

That's neat.

But, it doesn't prove that you haven't lost your mind.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 10:10 pm #3

That's a great story.

And 41 years is a long time.

Shortly before my Dad died, he was visited by a cousin who brought a childhood friend.   Dad and the friend figured out that they had last seen each other 72 years earlier.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 10:26 pm #4

Interesting. I wonder, though, how interesting it is to talk to people you haven't seen for such a long time. There could be no common ground anymore for a good conversation. Would it be much different from talking to random strangers?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 10:27 pm #5

Yeah, because there's some shared connection.  You still remember old times, people in common, etc.

Like a school reunion, but even more extreme.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:36 pm #6

The conversation was, who is still alive, how are the kids, where do you go in retirement, how is the rest of the family.

It was a nice way to spend a few hours. I took a four mile walk around the old neighborhood this morning. I took pictures of the houses where these guys grew up and the ball fields where we played. We were all on the same baseball team too. My mother is the only one of our parents still in the original house.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:37 pm #7

Extending Aqua’s point on another thread,  kids of this generation will really have no memories to share at their reunions. The shared connection will be the technology they used.