John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

June 26th, 2018, 4:32 am #121

PSA: The ignore function works on the new platform.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 4:42 am #122

It's difficult for me to find this outrageous without pictures. Did any of the people who were laid off have small children? And are those children hungry? PLEASE GOD LET THEM BE HUNGRY. AND BROWN. I NEED A CINEMATOGRAPHER STAT!
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 11:21 am #123

The interesting and seldom written part of this is that there were already tariffs of 6% on HD bikes in the EU. the US was charging 2.5% tariffs on European cars, while the EU charged 10% on US made vehicles. Does this sound like free trade?

Harley had said no US jobs will be lost. Frankly I doubt the tariff wars will last long enough to build a new plant.

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

June 26th, 2018, 11:37 am #124

Mikhailoh wrote:The interesting and seldom written part of this is that there were already tariffs of 6% on HD bikes in the EU. the US was charging 2.5% tariffs on European cars, while the EU charged 10% on US made vehicles. Does this sound like free trade?

Harley had said no US jobs will be lost. Frankly I doubt the tariff wars will last long enough to build a new plant.
Trump already said he would go for no tariffs at all. Sheep shrug and say that’s not possible, let’s just keep the deal we got.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 11:55 am #125

No tariffs is free trade.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 12:13 pm #126

Isn't WaPo the same fishwrapper that led with an incomplete Red. Hen story? By interviewing the owner of the restaurant and portraying her actions taking place in a measured and serene manner, then selectively leaving out the fact that she organized a group of protestors to harass and verbally abuse the Sanders family at another restaurant.

If that's not an attempt to shape news rather than report it, there ain't a cow in Texas.

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

June 26th, 2018, 4:49 pm #127

xenon wrote:I don't understand his latest tweet:
wrote:Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient! #MAGA
What does that mean? I thought the EU tariffs have already been implemented. How will Harley not pay? (real question)
I saw the same thing and wondered, but figured there was no way he was actually threatening them with a tax.

Turns out that's exactly what he's threatening to do.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... gr%5Etweet
wrote:A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Gone are the halcyon days ....

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm #128

John Galt wrote:https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... gr%5Etweet
wrote:A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Trump-branded merchandize can be made in another country. But no, Harley-Davidson cannot make their stuff in another country!

Rules for thee, and not for me.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

June 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm #129

Trump's hysteria is hard to understand. Harley is making a sound business decision. Their markets are elsewhere.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news/co ... index.html

edit: Ax - good point. about Trump products being made overseas and sold here. It's already been noted that the clothing industry has been spared from tariffs....

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 5:47 pm #130

JG, I am going to say this in the kindest way I know how. You are really becoming a Debbie Downer. :lol2:

No matter what happens you turn it into a way to criticise Trump.

I remember when to criticise the president, why it was RACISM!!!

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

June 26th, 2018, 6:48 pm #131

You and others have pointed out that Harley Davidson is on the decline, even to the point that if you worked for that company you'd be looking for another job because the handwriting is on the wall.

The company is making a reasonable decision for the business and its shareholders to move operations to where their markets are.

The president of the United States is threatening them with some kind of tax if they follow through.

If you don't feel the teeniest bit uncomfortable about what he's doing, then (and I seriously say this in the kindest way possible - :hug: ) you are suffering from an alternate form of TDS where you brush aside any reasonable analysis of his actions with "you hate Trump".

The other points about how the employees of Harley were exactly the kind of people looking for their livelihoods to be protected by Trump is, I believe, a pretty accurate observation. As is the observation that in his own businesses are doing precisely what Harley is doing, putting profit before employee job protection.

I think he's totally in over his head with respect to the tariffs. I don't hate him; I just disagree with his strategy. Or what I feel is lack thereof.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 7:25 pm #132

So if their business is in decline here but growing elsewhere, and they make the decision to build product where their market is now...

Explain to me why it's Trumps fault, and where you think you get the right to criticize him for it.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm #133

wrote:I think he's totally in over his head with respect to the tariffs. I don't hate him; I just disagree with his strategy. Or what I feel is lack thereof
Proof that leftwingers base their views on their feelings instead of facts!
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

June 26th, 2018, 7:34 pm #134

Right because Trump saying that Harley can't be built outside of US is totally not a feelings thing.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 7:43 pm #135

What in the hell does that have to do with the flawed logic of basing your worldview on feelings?

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

June 26th, 2018, 7:53 pm #136

What is the logic-based reasoning behind Trump saying that a Harley can't be built outside of the US?

Or are you moving the goal post now to "leftists base everything on feelings"

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 8:01 pm #137

xenon wrote:Or are you moving the goal post now to "leftists base everything on feelings"
That doesnt require moving the goal post. Hahahxhahaaaaa
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

June 26th, 2018, 11:58 pm #138

On to foreign cars ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1JM1GQ

Before Trump announces any decision regarding tariffs on foreign assembled cars, who here wants to see more tariffs imposed on foreign cars? Who would rather not see tariffs imposed on foreign cars?

What say you Audi and Mercedes lovers? What say you Ford and GM lovers? What say you Honda/Toyota drivers?

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

June 27th, 2018, 12:03 am #139

Axtremus wrote:On to foreign cars ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1JM1GQ

Before Trump announces any decision regarding tariffs on foreign assembled cars, who here wants to see more tariffs imposed on foreign cars? Who would rather not see tariffs imposed on foreign cars?

What say you Audi and Mercedes lovers? What say you Ford and GM lovers? What say you Honda/Toyota drivers?
What do you think?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

June 27th, 2018, 12:29 am #140

Win.

Be great.

And keep draining.

Don't get too hung up on the details.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy